Sign in to follow this  
TheBlackOut

New video card

This is my current specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

- OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 PC2 8500

- ASUS 9600GT

I bought BF3 and it lags really bad. I'll try and aim at someone, then they'll be half way across my screen and shooting me before I can even unload one bullet.

My concern is, do you think it's just my video card? I know it's dating but is my CPU still considered adequate? I'm considering just saving up for a new rig completely but that would be a pretty long time and I figure if I can get a nice GPU and play BF3 nicely then I won't have much reason to upgrade in a long time.

Thoughts?

Guest Stevie_K

Don't worry. BF3 makes my pc cry as well.

This is what my specs looks like:

• OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
  • CPU TYPE: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
  • CPU SPEED: 3.02 GHz
  • SYSTEM MEMORY: 3.25 GB
  • VIDEO CARD MODEL: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
  • VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 2.37 GB
  • VIDEO CARD DRIVER: aticfx32.dll
  • DESKTOP RESOLUTION: 1680x1050
  • HARD DISK SIZE: 298.08 GB
  • HARD DISK FREE SPACE: 157.59 GB (53%)

The release of high end games like BF3 encourages PC users to upgrade to the latest video cards if possible.

The current graphics cards are Nvidia GeForce GTX 500 series cards and AMD's Radeon HD 6000 cards.

You may wanna check my link for details on it.

To get the best ultra graphical settings for BF3, it was said that you need 2 GTX 580s, something I don't even have yet.

I think the Dual Core 8400 CPU may be able to handle the newer cards with minimal bottlenecks but it'll be better to overclock the processor though.

Some people may consider this is a bad timing if you wanna upgrade the card now as the next gen cards will be a HUGE leap of improvements (40nm to 28nm) as compare to this generation.

Some argued that 28nm cards will be a year from now, why bother waiting.

So, ultimately it depends whether you really need this upgrade and have the spending power.

I would wait for the GTX600 and HD7000 series cards to be released before making a purchase. This is the current incarnation of cards to skip like the geforce 8000 series cards were (I don't give a **** how many people say the 8800 was good; the 9800 kicked its ass hand over fist). If you really can't stand waiting, the GTX400 series or HD5000 series should suit you fine and not set your pocketbook back so far. I have a GTX460 and I love it so it's up to you, TBO.

Alternatively, just a heads up, EVGA just released their custom video card that consist the power of 2 GTX 560 Ti GPUs. Pretty neat for the bang of the buck category.

Called EVGA GTX 560Ti 2Win.

02gp31569krlg1.jpg

Whilst that looks wonderful, I some how doubt buying two video cards is what TSBO is after. :P

Even if its bundled into one massive card. :P

Glad I posted! I wasn't aware of the new sets coming out soon, really a drastic improvement. But I wonder.. I mean, if I got a 560Ti now, what will I ever have to upgrade again for? At least not for a long time, I don't see any groundbreaking game that will defy physics and make video cards weep coming out soon :P Interesting article I found since you mentioned it, http://www.dailytech...px?newsid=23158 Says December 6th...? If it's THAT close I'll definitely wait.

And ohh your name suits you Malevolence. Evil, evil evil. Trying to tempt me with pretty and powerful GPUs and post geek pr0n pics.. For shame, for shame.

You're exactly right about the 8800 getting its ass handed to it, Fenring. Oh man, how long ago that was, but feels like just yesterday :o Definitely more reason to wait then. But I have a feeling my current card is going to crap out on me, been acting very funny lately.

Like I noted before, waiting is probably your best bet since the next big GPU war is gearing up for another round. Let that get going and we'll just reap the benefits of the war. However, it's your decision in the end so do what you feel is best for your situation.

Though, you have a 9600GT right now, you could borrow mine. XD

Says December 6th...? If it's THAT close I'll definitely wait.

No... not Dec 6th. Its next year. The early 28nm GPUs will probably be mobile stuff and the desktop ones will be way later. And at this point you should also take into account and expect possible delays in the event of the manufacturers having low yield problems for their silicon chips.

No... not Dec 6th. Its next year. The early 28nm GPUs will probably be mobile stuff and the desktop ones will be way later. And at this point you should also take into account and expect possible delays in the event of the manufacturers having low yield problems for their silicon chips.

I'm a bit confused, what makes you say that? It seems prices will be high and supply will be low, but it seems like it will be out. I am getting that from the article I linked earlier along with this one.

There was no information which architecture these new GPUs will be based on, but there appears to be reason to believe that AMD may be unveiling performance desktop boards, which will become available in very limited quantities in December, heise said.

Like I noted before, waiting is probably your best bet since the next big GPU war is gearing up for another round. Let that get going and we'll just reap the benefits of the war. However, it's your decision in the end so do what you feel is best for your situation.

Though, you have a 9600GT right now, you could borrow mine. XD

BUT I WANNA KILL PEOPLE IN HD GFX NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!

My friend's desktop busted, he gave me his 9600GT.. I was so excited to try SLI, then I opened up my rig and my mobo does not have 2 PCI-e slots. RAAAAAAAAAAAGEEE.

Even if its out early, its the lower tier cards that will be released first. I guess you probably save your money for a higher tier card that should last you quite a long while.

Anyways, in conclusion, I suggest just save your money for the new AMD Radeon 7xxx cards or Nvidia GeForce 6xx cards.

Edited by Malevolence

Nothing good creeped up during Black Friday or Cyber Monday, a bit of a bummer. I'm getting a new 24" monitor I snagged from Dell during cyber monday, I wish I could have a card that would do some games on it justice. Oh well, BF2142 here I can again :)