Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Dredd 3D

I saw it last week - I loved it. Gave it a 7 of 10.

Remember I gave Avengers a 7 out of 10 too!

I resented being forced to watch it in 3d, there was only one session each day available in 2d - and that was 2.30pm. Sigh.

But wait... for the first time... it was actually worth watching it in 3d.

(I saw it with my cousin, who saw Avatar in 3d, and said it was as good. So if that rings a bell for you - look forward to it.

The premise of the movie is a new drug "slo-mo" which slows your perception of time... in 3d... it looks fantastic.

No regrets and I highly recommend the 3d experience for Dredd.)

• Movie loses a point for the bikes. I understand they had a low budget, so I would have said, just make Dredd walk on shot.
  • Movie loses another point for the four judge reinforcements that are called in later in the film. I think that's against the canon of the character/universe of Dredd. Only one judge should have been sent as "reinforcements".
  • Movie loses another point for the fan-service. As a big Dredd fan - it was perfect - but for the uninitiated it was perhaps confusing and lacked the usual Hollywood hand-holding that makes a film a big-budget success. I was greatly relieved not to have the hand-holding, but I think any film should be internally sufficient to meet the needs of new and old fans.
  • Movie gains 7 points purely for that awesome Kiwi Karl Urban (there I said it, awesome and kiwi in the same sentence.) We have an old TV show called ROVE where the self same person asks guests "who would you turn gay for?" After this performance, I would have to question my gender preferences.
    :)

My only warning is the best bits are in the trailer. As usual.

If there is a film you really want to see, my advice is avoid the trailers.

Johnny Depp and Dark Shadows is a great example.

I'm a happy, happy fan and I can't wait to see what they can do with a decent budget next time.