Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

11 Years of Command & Conquer: Renegade

Today marks the 11th anniversary of Command & Conquer: Renegade. On the 26th of February 2002, Westwood Studios released Command & Conquer: Renegade to the eagerly awaiting gaming public. This was Westwood's first and only FPS game. Built using the W3D engine, the origins of the SAGE engine, it was Westwood's attempt at taking the C&C RTS elements to ground level, making you get "up close and personal". The hype for Renegade was huge, the promises were just as big. In the long run, the game never really delivered on those promises. During its sometimes rocky development, people felt Westwood had to many projects in development, and they were officially under the EA brand name by this time. Renegade was delayed a few times, much to the disappointment of the community. Even in its very early days, the game was called C&C Commando.

SjJdrN1.jpg

Renegade's singleplayer was not the greatest, but it had its moments. The real heart of Renegade was the multiplayer. It only seems like yesterday that I spent countless hours, long into the late hours of the night, fighting it out on some of the popular Renegade multiplayer servers. To this day, no other game can deliver what Renegade could. It just has that certain something. It offers a unique multiplayer experience: fast pace action, simplified teamwork and bad ass tanks! Flame Tank rush anyone? As good as multiplayer was, it did have its share of problems - bad net code, some horrible cheats and exploits, but Renegade fans didn't care, we just wanted to play! We would later see new maps and mods from the community, fixes and improvements were made to rid the game of these cheats and exploits as well.

So here we are, 11 years on and Renegade fans have turned their attention to Renegade X, the spiritual successor. Here's hoping Renegade X can recapture the magic that the original Renegade had. We are confident it will do just that. After you have relived the original C&C Renegade trailer above, please share your C&C Renegade memories and war stories with us in this news thread.

It seems a lot of people enjoyed Renegade multiplayer. It's too bad most C&C games, especially the earlier games, mostly focused on singleplayer. I mean, only IPX support for LAN games, even in RA2.

• Upvote 1

My friends and I enjoy C&C Renegade very much. We still playing the game almost everyday!

The best multiplayer tactical shooter ever. Just want to share our tribute to the game for the 11th anniversary :)