Sign in to follow this  
cosailer

[SOLVED] how do I record game replay with Origin version RA2

I just made my first single player mission, which is puzzle based. To keep track of the complicated solution, I decided to make a replay to show how to play. Then I realized that the program itself has a feature to record replay.

But the problem is I have the origin version of the game, it uses a launcher to execute the game, which is impossible to add the -record/-play flags to the executable.

Hence my question, is there a way to use the built in record feature with the origin version of RA2?

Thank you all.

----update 1----

I used a DRM free version to test the replay functionality and it is severely broken. after 10 min or so, the clicks start to miss and the actions start to drift away from my intention, which results in stuff that is totally not watchable.

Therefore I am going to use a record software to capture the replay.

But I wish there is a way to fix the built in replay function though, I like the idea that you can take over and interact with the replay.

----update 2----

obviously the best setup would be vga recorder, but I don't have it. Then I tried a few setups, the best setup so far is the red alert 2 in winxp in virtual box on win7, then record with OBS. Its very stable even with many units at the same time.

But I ended up running the game directly in win7 and record with OBS, the game play is still quite good, with a little lag sometimes.

I tried to record the game play on my winxp machines, but they are too old to run any record software, and OBS simply does not support winxp.

Edited by cosailer

1) To run any TUC game with parameters, you need to disable Origin In-Game for them in the Origin library, and then install Bibber's fixed launchers. http://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers/

2) The RA2 replay system is underdeveloped and unreliable. If you want to record gameplay, you're better off with actual recording programs like CamStudio, HyperCam, Camtasia or the like.

1) To run any TUC game with parameters, you need to disable Origin In-Game for them in the Origin library, and then install Bibber's fixed launchers. http://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers/

2) The RA2 replay system is underdeveloped and unreliable. If you want to record gameplay, you're better off with actual recording programs like CamStudio, HyperCam, Camtasia or the like.

1, thank you for your reply, but I was unable to get Bibber's launcher working. I am using xp sp3. The installation worked fine. but when I tried to execute yuri.exe, it brings up a window to choose under which user you wish to run, then it tries to run the origin client. maybe the origin client is too new?

2, I am aware of that, at the moment I plan to make an ipb replay, if I want to upload it to youtube, I just re-run the replay and record it with capture software.

but when I tried to execute yuri.exe, it brings up a window to choose under which user you wish to run, then it tries to run the origin client. maybe the origin client is too new?

That's because the game is connected to Origin. Same as if you tried running a Steam game. Only now, you'll be able to run parameters from the Origin client correctly. I haven't yet tried this myself, but if you have a shortcut to the exe with parameters and try to run the game with that, just try going further by choosing RA2/YR in the launcher you see and it might work as you wanted.

That's because the game is connected to Origin. Same as if you tried running a Steam game. Only now, you'll be able to run parameters from the Origin client correctly. I haven't yet tried this myself, but if you have a shortcut to the exe with parameters and try to run the game with that, just try going further by choosing RA2/YR in the launcher you see and it might work as you wanted.

after I installed the Bibber's launcher

1, have a shortcut to the exe with parameters and try to run the game with that
it tries to bring up the origin client
2, choosing RA2/YR in the launcher
it still tries to bring up the origin client
Edited by cosailer

Does running the parameters in the Origin client work? (Right-click on the game, then Game Properties, then put -ra2ep1 -record). (-ra2 for RA2, -ra2ep1 for YR)

Does running the parameters in the Origin client work? (Right-click on the game, then Game Properties, then put -ra2ep1 -record). (-ra2 for RA2, -ra2ep1 for YR)

it worked !! thank you so much ! but since the replay function is not really usable, I will try to record through software. but thanks anyway. have a great day !