Sign in to follow this  
mormreed

DOS Commands

anyone know some cool ones?

I'm just kinda bored and its fun to play around with command prompt like you can get local system privileges and stuff

I can give you one: sort- it alphabetizes a .txt file and puts the alphabetic file wherever you tell it to

Edit: file extension was wrong

That is so very sad.. Playing with the command prompt... Go get Linux, you're have much more fun using that. :P

well let's see why I can't get linux:

1. No license

2. No money

3. my parents are always busy

4. I'm a windows whore

You don't need a license or money or your parents to get linux. ;)

ohhhhhhhhh ;)

try the command "shutdow -s" or "shutdow -r"

mor fun:

Make a new text file

add the "shutdow -r" line to it

Save it as "xxx.bat" (xxx is whatever you want it to be)

Save/copy it to the "stratup" folder

restart computer

view

NOTE: if you use "-s" insted off "-r" rermember this, to avoyd it from starting, start windows inb safety mode (press f1 -> f12 during startup) and delete the xxx.bat or link. Then after a restart, everything wold be back to normal!

mormreed]ohhhhhhhhh ;)

If you're saying as in you think he's implying illegal ways no... By your response to Linux I guess you're not much a computer junkie...

Linux is open-source OS. Different versions, etc, but anyone can mess with it and do stuff and create different things on it. It's free because it's open source. Linux instead of using the mouse and double click and crap like that it requires a lot of typing in commands to get stuff to do anything. I personally tried it (Ubuntu as most newbs to Linux do, www.ubuntu.com if you wanna ever try it, it's free, and you can test it out before actually installing it) and didn't like it much. I didn't like the interface much or the WINE thing. WINE is what enables you to install games and some Windows apps, but not totally compatible.

TBH Linux is great if you don't game and just want a less system-hog of an OS and you use computers to surf the web and type papers, that sort of thing. But if you're a gamer, it's not that appealing.

See the Wikipedia entry if you wanna know more.

Red Hat is a good form of Linux...I played with it a bit until I got bored :P

Ubuntu is fun, I got Beryl working on it. My laptop came with Vista, it now has XP Pro and Ubuntu and I use ubuntu most of the time.

The only perk to me of Linux is it's free. But if you can already pirate Windows if your half way intelligent or you already have a copy, I don't see the reasoning. My Windows has never crashed on me. Frozen, but never crashed. And Ubuntu just ****ing froze on my an hour ago. Ctrl Alt Backspace ftw.

ctrl alt backspace is the shiznaz! so much better that holding down the power button or hitting reset.

oh kewl never would have guessed, but what I need to ask now is if anyone knows how to dual boot on a windows machine?

Edit: and where to download linux

Lol.... What Linux do you want? Just google the names and you end up with their sites. But there's tons of versions...

Dual-boot is easy. Just create a second partition on your hard drive and install it on there.

ok i found about a million versions but is there just a basic version I can get to test out? (damn small linux looks cool)

Ubuntu is pretty simple and easy to use, I use that. Debain is alright too I suppose and there are like a billion others but I'd get Ubuntu if I were you. :nod:

mormreed]ok i found about a million versions but is there just a basic version I can get to test out? (damn small linux looks cool)

Ubuntu is probably best to try out. In fact there is a version of it that you download and burn to a CD. You boot off this CD and try Ubuntu without copying any files to your hard drive. And then if you want the Ubuntu installer can partition your HD and install Ubuntu along side Windows.

Check here for more: http://www.ubuntu.com

ok, so ubuntu helps to partition your hard drive...... do you need a boot loader too? (im thinking about putting it alongside my windows xp)

ok, so ubuntu helps to partition your hard drive...... do you need a boot loader too? (im thinking about putting it alongside my windows xp)

Lol this is your first post here to ask about Linux and partitions on a C&C site? Hehe, this is why I love forums, just get some random people. :P

Yes, you get a boot loader. GRUB. Easier to manage than Window's boot loader. And mormreed, go with Sonic's suggestion first. The name for what Sonic described is a LiveCD, it's very useful to see if you wanna try it out. :)

ok I got everything else but what's a boot loader?

Personally, I'd dual boot with 2 separate drives for Windows and Linux. I don't want them mingling with each other. Windows will try to eat Linux. XD

once I finally got connected to my router on ubuntu it stated to grow on me, I think I'm gonna start partitioning my HDD right now

haha, yah, this is my first post, because i dont have a cnc game yet. a friend told me about APB, so im gunna try it out, but in the meantime, i dont even have it..... but yah, ubuntu looks cool... um, how much memory is this gunna take?

do u mean disk space or ram?