PurpleGaga27

EA Is Facing Lawsuit over Securom DRM

agreed. DRM really needs to get removed... at least until 99% of the problems are fixed and the 1% is a minor error... who wants to purposely install a program that makes your computer crash or worse? :\ it's stupid...

agreed. DRM really needs to get removed... at least until 99% of the problems are fixed and the 1% is a minor error... who wants to purposely install a program that makes your computer crash or worse? :\ it's stupid...

After I read carefully on several occasions, apparently I heard that our RA3 dev teams are not responsible on the DRM protection method. It's probably by some product & shipping team who is responsible on that, that's where the DRM protection comes in, causing problems among us customers.

And went to the DRM official website, their FAQ said the DRM does not harm your computer. I don't believe it. As though I see could be a lie, or was it EA does not know what they are doing and in the end, harming ours while theirs are ok. If only they should test the DRM on themselves before releasing into the market. Moreover as we speak, they only do more harm than good, piracy will always continue and they already embarrassed themselves since Spore became the most pirated game ever.

Even if RA3 is coming, I wonder will we install the game? Another user from the official forums provided us an uninstaller of SecuRom, but I wonder will it fix the problem after RA3 is installed?

I like McKay's comment... "MAKE IT WORK".

We have two main grips right?

1) It limits the number of installations - therefore the longevity of our entertainment.

2) It apparently can interfere with a perfectly functioning computer.

The second is obviously a BUG. They just need to fix it.

The first point, I still maintain, is simply an unrealistic limitation.

If they listened to feedback, and increased the total number of installs or incorporated the online un-installation idea has suggested earlier - it will take the heat off.

---

I'm a collector, a hoarder, and therefore I'm proud of my legitimate library. I will never resort to piracy. Although I really did like the quote that Saracen made. I think ongoing support is the key for copy-protection....

So far, in summary after reading the Spore document & the discovery of Securom's function, that's our 2 main points you said.

The 2nd one, hmm, bug or not, I'm not very sure. Hopefully EA better look into it & fix it if they want to retain the DRM system.

But overall, I still don't bother about this. Let's say if I were a Spore player & if the DRM does not have bugs, I will buy it because EA respected their customers. But only by 50% because of the installation limitations. 100% will be WITHOUT the installation limitation & also if there are no crash bugs. Games will feel more successful & making piracy rates low if the Securom system is not applied, but when it applies, look what happened to Spore & then EA got sued. Ooo, CHECKMATE, baby!

As for RA3, not very sure, bug or not, I have a dilemma right now whether to install the game after purchasing it. I can't risk my computer of getting into a reformat. It'll take hours to not just reformat, but to reinstall the applications I have (Adobe Photoshop, Firefox, video codecs, etc..)

holy poopie i didn't even think of that o_o i figured it might make you bluescreen every so often randomly while it's installed... but powerful enough to corrupt your hardrive... that would seriously ruin my life :\ my life revolves around this computer... i have so many things on there. apart from the hundreds of programs i have installed and all the items i've spent years downloading, i have things i just simply wouldn't wanna bother getting again (for instance, every single pokemon episode which i've been downloading. currently i have about 90% of it... and due to bad planning and my dumbass nature i've got most of them twice, so it works out at about 120GB... that really isn't something i can just throw away and i don't think i have room for them on my externals :\) so yah. that would be real bad... that's not something i can handle... but spore has DRM in right? i've already bought and installed spore GE... an that's run fine. so sure it'll just be the same DRM pack if i get RA3?

I know I know, a reformat is everybody's worst nightmare if a bad crash occurs.

So then I'm not sure if anyone can take the risk first who installs RA3. Whoever installs first and report nothing goes wrong, then we can put on the green light to install the game. I wonder if any of the EA dev teams have this problem, they should test this problem themselves before going into the market though.

so it's like a spying app that comes with spore and can't get uninstalled?

well.. it can't be nearly as "privacy robbing" as google apps is.

I hope that app didn't come with the invisible cd I used :P

Possibly, which is why many of us are anti-Securom, EA just don't get things right even with the uninstallation process. They force us to uninstall online instead of offline to automatically bring back the installation ticket.

For right now, I wonder if it's worth it to buy the game when the Securom issue is still running. I'm taking Premier Edition because of the special bonus DVD & other goodies, but NOT for the game until the Securom issue is over.

Beware, JahSpor, privacy invasion is not the only thing Securom wants to do, it'll crash your computer a lot worse than you can imagine since the last time I installed Tiberium Wars & Kane's Wrath. Or worse, if you install Spore and let's see how it goes and then your system gone rogue and betrays you.

EDIT : I apologize, Sonic. There are people including myself are worried about that issue. That's why, well. You get the point after what I had written. I bet I'm not the only one who are in this anxiety.

Edited by Silverthorn
Don't post or discuss anything related to cheats/trainers/hacks/cracks/torrents for any game/program on our forums.

i'm real scared now ._.; like, REAL scared. an every system is different in some way... which means it could work fine on another and crash on another. but if spore worked it'll work with another game right? RIGHT? D:

but if spore worked it'll work with another game right? RIGHT? D:

Not necessarily unfortunately. Unless SecuROM keeps itself up-to-date and is implemented in the same way with Spore and RA3.

Edited by Sonic
Don't post or discuss anything related to cheats/trainers/hacks/cracks/torrents for any game/program on our forums.

i hope so D: i don't want my computer being destroyed... xD; what got deleted anyway? XD i'm guessing a link to a program to remove DRM? XD; for the moment it's not doing anything to my compy so i'm not bothered about removing it. and my theory is that if i install RA3, because DRM is already installed it won't bork up my compy in any way. in theory... but with programs like that you never know >_>;;