TheBlackOut

Windows 7 RC1 (Build 7100)

the build site also recommended this as well as reseating it. i already reseated it, and when i did it had what seemed to be a proper amount of compound. it made a small improvement..

i dont see how more thermal compound can make my cooling perform that much better than it is now.

>_> dont overclock at all thats what is messed up. i cant overclock unless i get this liq cooling to pwn my temps...

You aren't going to get anywhere unless you re-do the entire cooling system. Pre-made loop kits are NEVER as good as liquid systems that were assembled from different parts that work with each other. Much like the entire rest of the system. Hell, even high-end air cooling will do better.

Edited by Fiesta

yes, this is what i was afraid of when i found my cooling to be ****. i think its because it relies solely on thermodynamic circulation, like no pump and everything else.

If there really is no pump, then yes, that's a major part of it. If you decide to reconstruct the loop with fresh parts or switch to air cooling, say how much you're willing to spend, and if it's a new liquid loop, how many components you want to cool. Be warned that a respectable 2-block loop (CPU and graphics) runs between 150 and 400 dollars, though the temps you could achieve, even with a heavy overclock under load, won't (or shouldn't, at least) exceed your idle temps with the current loop.

and that is a great benefit no? to have my cpu running at ~4ghz would greatly improve performance overall... or to at least not be running idle anywhere from 40-50c.

so my to-do list for my PC goes as follows:

1. improve cooling (basically mandatory)

2. improve graphics card (4870 1gb, perhaps cross fire with another)

3. implement sound card (perhaps old sound card from older Dell, if compatible with P6T mo-bo)

4. increase RAM (not so necessary, currently at 6gb)

5. increase HDD (not so necessary either, currently @ single 1tb)

Funny. You stated that you do not overclock your Core i7 920 (2.67Ghz at default) and yet you just mentioned that your processor is at 4GHz. Isn't that overclocked?

Reapplying thermal paste may help in better thermal conductivity between the processor and the water block, meaning better heat dissipation.

Instead of upgrading your graphics card via Crossfire, why not sell your HD4870 and get HD4890, or wait for the upcoming HD4890X2? Why did you intend to upgrade your graphics card in the first place? Is HD4870 to lousy for your usage? If its unnecessary just don't waste the money.

As for soundcard, get a decent X-Fi sound card, don't bother recycling an old one. Most probably it'll be pointless and worst case incompatible issues.

No point to upgrade 6GB ram to... say 12GB ram. It's a waste of money and there was a IT review quite a while back, a dude did an experiment with 3x2GB Cosair DDR3 with 6x2GB Cosair DDR3. It shows minor performance. Waste of money.

If 1TB HDD is not enough for you by all means get another 1TB. :lol:

He didn't say he was running at 4GHz, he said it would be nice if he could.

Reapplying thermal paste may help in better thermal conductivity between the processor and the water block, meaning better heat dissipation.

This can't help much when it comes to shoddy liquid cooling kits that come with the system, especially if it's a Thermaltake-made loop. Those are an enthusiast's worst nightmare; outdated pumps and poorly-designed radiators, and water blocks that crack, leak, and aren't fully compatible with newer sockets. It's always just better to replace the loop.

and that is a great benefit no? to have my cpu running at ~4ghz would greatly improve performance overall... or to at least not be running idle anywhere from 40-50c.

Super. So how much can you spend on a new cooling setup? As stated a good CPU+GPU loop runs up to 400 dollars, maybe more, though if you don't want the hassle of setting it up and getting it working perfectly, top-end air cooling is about a solid Benjamin with shipping, more with tax if online retailers charge that for you.

Edited by Fiesta

where did you get the idea that my cooling isnt compatible? it's not sufficient.

as for upgrading my graphics, my 4870 works fine now but an x2 or 4890 would work superbly, and be a good investment for the future.

my HDD is enough for now but i have no backup.

id rather not spend ~400 USD on a cooling unit, but it would pay off in the end to do so and i could wait longer to save. at the time i have low income so i won't be upgrading at all until i get a higher income.

the biggest problem i have with getting a nice liq cooling unit is the maintenance. doesn't it get costly?

I never said the water loop was Thermaltake, or that his particular loop wasn't compatible. :mellow:

especially if it's a Thermaltake-made loop.

Anyway...

the biggest problem i have with getting a nice liq cooling unit is the maintenance. doesn't it get costly?

Not really. Every so often you just have to add the fluid (since the heat makes it naturally and gradually evaporate) and make sure there's no corrosion or fungus developing, which indicates a problem with the fluid. It's not costly to maintain a properly set-up liquid loop, it's only costly to actually set it up.

Edited by Fiesta

Windows 7 will be out by October 23rd, so get ready. :)

So close!

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009...-october-22.ars

Those waiting anxiously for the next version of Windows now have a date to anticipate. Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 will be launched on October 22, 2009. This announcement is in line with Microsoft's statement saying that it would have Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 ready by the holidays. After the software giant unleashed the official Release Candidate on May 5, it became apparent that development on the follow-up to Vista was close to wrapping up.