Sign in to follow this  
Fiesta

nVidia announces release date for new GeForces

Heh, I'll believe it when I see it. With Fermi I'm thinking it could either be really good right out of the gate, or they might suffer horrible fab problems with the first batch and they won't get better until later.

Actually I am tempted to get a new GTX480 card when it is out, but after all the negative news and everything, the production problems and stuff, I will have to wait and let the other fanboys test this card out, we'll see if this truly worth it.

It will be an overpriced, waste of money. In all honesty you don't need to get the latest cutting edge card as soon as it hits the market.

I can still squeeze some more out of my ATI 4870 before I need to upgrade. It's ""only"" a year old.

It will be an overpriced, waste of money.

Honestly, this is the only thing that consistently bugs me is when people flame nVidia about the price. Everything suggested so far puts the GTX470 as between $299 and $399, with a possible 100-200 dollar premium for the GTX480. If you ask me, that's EXTREMELY fair, and at the very least, we should be glad we aren't reliving the price catastrophe that was the GeForce 8800 series.

Edited by Fiesta

"Waste of money" is relative.

What is the production cost of the card compared to $299-$399? How much will they be selling them for if I wait two years? That is the waste I assume Sonic speaks of and that I concur with.

If you run some sort of computerized business that requires top of the line equipment, are comparing proportionate prices from similar objects (which is a fallacy, as a company's purpose is to make a profit), or are simply so used to spoiling yourself you can't live without it, then no, that's no waste at all.

I would not call what Sonic said flaming "nVidia"* about the price. Time is also relative, and to some people, waiting two or three years to upgrade is a short wait.

*I put that in quotes because it is spelled Nvidia if it is a proper noun, NVIDIA if you are looking at the company's paperwork, and nVIDIA if you are referencing its logo. I couldn't really care less, but I am consistently bugged by people that get consistently bugged over misconceptions and inconsequential nuances in opinion.

It all depends on YOU, after all, its your money. If you want it, then get it. Simple as that. As for me, I've made up my mind and I'll pass on this until I see a need to upgrade again. However I'm enthusiastic to see how the various companies come out with custom non-reference designs, it's cool to check those out for fun, but doesn't mean you must purchase it.

Well supposedly its performance isn't that impressive compared to ATI's offerings, even under Nvidia's own testing. It sounds like it will indeed be overpriced for only slightly better performance. Of course we won't know for sure until it's on the market and has been benchmarked.

The products:

I am amazed by the GTX480 overall look. Looks great, and the heatsink looks awesome.

106b.jpg

106a.jpg

Heh, nice armored paint job. She looks like a beaut and a beast.

-edit- durr, typo.

Edited by Mighty BOB!

More quality pictures of the reference GTX480 and GTX 470 designs. Looking good.

132a.jpg

127da.jpg

127cg.jpg

127brt.jpg

127a.jpg

Edited by Malevolence

Stats are what ye want, not prutty pictures. :) I mean after you stick it in your comp, you'll probably never look at it again.

The news, updates and reviews of the GTX 470 and GTX 480 series is up! Go check it out.

I would snag a GTX470 but I'd need a new PSU as well. I'll pass for now, or at least until I can build a new PC.