Sign in to follow this  
Jehal

How do I create a building/unit?

Jehal    35

I've been planning to make a Tiberian Sun mod for a long long time. I've already got the story figured out, the concept art made and I'm ready to go... almost that is.

See, I'm pretty good at learning fast, and I feel pity for not getting into modding earlier, because there's just some things I do not understand.

I've studied a whole lot of tutorials about using the XCC utilities (I can't bother using TibEd and SunEdit. I wan't to learn this the hard way) and I've quite figured out the most of it.

What I cannot figure out is a simple thing as adding a unit. I know how to c/p and all that in the rules.ini but I'm really confused about how the art.ini works and where all the "images", SHP's and animations are stored.

So I thought of asking here since there's a lot of guys I recognize from back in the days that I know did a lot, or at least some modding of Tiberian sun.

Is there any chance I could get an quick explanation on how the art.ini works and where to put/make SHP's? Or a simple step by step on how to take an image, and make it the "visual" building/unit ingame.

Lot's of thanks :)

EDIT: Oh by the way.. How do I open these .PCX files as recommended in this tutorial on PPM? I recognize it's a file format for PC Paintbrush (1984) which seems a little old school to me. It can't be opened with either MS Paint or Photoshop. :eyebrow:

Edited by D14810

PhotoShop can open PCX files... I know for a fact that it can since I had to output as a PCX file not too long ago. It's not even the right format anyway since the PCX format RA2/TS use is just a standard PCX file with no association to any program, just a standard.

As for creating SHPs, it is a long, arduous process if you use cut and paste. There's really no tutorial or specific way to do it, you just have to know the SHP placement grid for structures and then be prepared edit hundreds upon hundreds of frames for an infantry. Animations aren't as complicated as infantry, but still require the same meticulous care.

However, for simply creating a definition... that's pretty easy. It's literally the same method as rules editing with a new set of tags. Just copy and paste something close to what you need and edit to suit your needs. The definition [iDENTIFIER] should match the file name (eg; someinfantry.shp exists in a MIX file or in the directory, your header would be [sOMEINFANTRY]). Writing an infantry sequence can be tricky but read the comments in the INI file... failing that, download the OS SHP Builder.

Nyerguds    73

you have to be careful to save the PCX file in original 256-paletted format, without changing the palette. Many applications ignore that. I still use an old Paint Shop Pro 3.11 trial for this reason.

Edited by Nyerguds

you have to be careful to save the PCX file in original 256-paletted format, without changing the palette. Many applicationsignore that. I still use an old Paint Shop Pro 3.11 trial for this reason.

I actually still use PSP7 for editing C&C graphics since it can apply palettes for it without any major hassles. The pal format that you export is for Jasc products anyway so it's perfect.

Jehal    35

Okay, I see. Photoshop CS3 (At least the version I have) won't even open .PCX files, neither can it output in this format. Sounds like it's really hard work with these SHP's DD, but I'm still up for it. I'll consider just using Paint Shop Pro for this then.

What I really meant to ask for where:

1. What programs do I use for creating/painting/sculpting buildings and units?
  2. How do I extract those "images" that are already there so I can see/modify them? (I know it's something about the XCC mixer, but I don't know exactly where).
  3. How do I add my own "images" for the buildings/units I've created in the rules.ini?

It would be awesome if you could help me understanding this procedure :)

Edited by D14810

What programs do I use for creating/painting/sculpting buildings and units?

I use the OS SHP Builder, PSP7 and the XCC Mixer. If you want to do 3D, you have to use 3D Studio Max.

How do I extract those "images" that are already there so I can see/modify them? (I know it's something about the XCC mixer, but I don't know exactly where).

If you extracted the INI files, it's the same process.

How do I add my own "images" for the buildings/units I've created in the rules.ini?

Make, or download, your graphics, plunk the graphics into a MIX file, create an art entry and put the INI files in the directory. It's not that hard.