Sign in to follow this  
pichorra

Command & Conquer winDOwS MOD!

speaking of which, is RA dos more similar to ra95 than cnc dos to cnc95?

Edited by Sonarpulse

Seeing as C&C95 is an actual win95 re-release of the older DOS C&C, while RA95 and DOS RA were developed together, the answer to that is definitely yes.

Seeing as C&C95 is an actual win95 re-release of the older DOS C&C, while RA95 and DOS RA were developed together, the answer to that is definitely yes.

That's what I thought, Just double checking. I had heard from making scenarios that RA-dos is sometimes LESS buggy.

Good luck finding the function.

That's what I thought, Just double checking. I had heard from making scenarios that RA-dos is sometimes LESS buggy.

Good luck finding the function.

Because DOS RA simple do not crashes when tries to read/write an memory reserved to another thing. It always runs in real mode (or protected?, i don't remember)

DOS simply doesn't care if a program writes outside its designated memory, since it doesn't do multi-tasking. Windows is much stricter in controlling that. So (in Windows) as long as the erroneous memory writes and reads are still in the memory reserved for the DOS shell, it will indeed not crash.

This does not mean that the game works correctly though. When it succeeds in reading data from an illegal memory address, it uses that data to continue the game, meaning that technically, the game gets corrupted a little bit more each time that happens. This obviously means that there is a chance this will cause a fatal game crash at a later moment, when doing something that seems unrelated to the thing that went wrong, but is the ultimate effect of a cascade of small errors produced by it.

DOS simply doesn't care if a program writes outside its designated memory, since it doesn't do multi-tasking. Windows is much stricter in controlling that. So (in Windows) as long as the erroneous memory writes and reads are still in the memory reserved for the DOS shell, it will indeed not crash.

This does not mean that the game works correctly though. When it succeeds in reading data from an illegal memory address, it uses that data to continue the game, meaning that technically, the game gets corrupted a little bit more each time that happens. This obviously means that there is a chance this will cause a fatal game crash at a later moment, when doing something that seems unrelated to the thing that went wrong, but is the ultimate effect of a cascade of small errors produced by it.

Then we get a blue screen of dead! :P (jk... DOS simple freeze)

You usually get the Runtime Error written on the screen going over whatever was there, in huge-sized terminal-font letters, in whatever colour was on the colour spot normally occupied by the system text colour (in RA1, usually brown) :P