Sign in to follow this  
killerman132

Need Help With Mod

I'm making a mod that adds new buildings infantry and vehicles but I don't

know how to add them I am using Tib Ed

This is easier with the XCC Mixer and a text editor (Notepad suffices, but I recommend Notepad++).

With INI files, a new unit can be done in a few easy steps, but a few more if you want a new graphic so we'll go that route.

Step 1: Download a graphic from any resource site; YR Arg is the best place.

Step 2: Download the XCC Utilities, which I linked to before, then 'install' them to your hard drive.

Step 3: Open the XCC Mixer, then extract the rules and art files (ra2.mix > local.mix for RA2 or ra2md.mix > localmd.mix for YR).

Step 4: Load the rules and art files into your favorite text editor (as said, Notepad will suffice but I recommend Notepad++ or Textpad).

Step 5: Copy a rules section that matches what you've downloaded. If you're creating a new infantry, use an infantry and so on.

Step 6: Paste the new section somewhere into your extracted rules file. It's recommended to create a section for yourself with a comment to make it easy to find.

Step 7: Modify the infantry to suit your needs. Change the [RULESID], which should match what your graphic is named. For example, if your graphic is named trooper.shp, you should use [TROOPER] as the ID. The same applies to voxel-based units like tanks and ships.

Step 8: Add your new unit to its respective type list. Infantry use [infantryTypes], vehicles, helicopters and ships use [VehicleTypes], true aircraft use [AircraftTypes] and structures use [buildingTypes]. Word of caution: going over 100 in the unit lists causes the AI to break and modifying the building list causes the campaign to break in YR. There are tutorials for how to avoid these issues however.

Step 9: Repeat the copy, paste and modify routine with the art file using the same basic principle. If you're using an infantry, make sure to watch out for the sequence. Most decent downloads have these provided so check the readme file. Voxel-based units do not require these, but do require an HVA. Keep in mind, art needs to use the same name as the actual file; as per the example beforehand, trooper.shp should use [TROOPER] as the identifier.

Step 10: Double check all of your code to ensure that it suits your needs.

Step 11: Save your rules and art files, then copy and paste them into your Red Alert 2 game directory. The new graphic should also be placed into the directory as well.

Step 12: Test your unit and see if it works.

If you don't understand something, let me know but please try to work through this without any assistance first. I learned all of this without a tutorial years ago so you can easily do this too.

I downloaded the file from YR Argentina, It came with code and images and files, but it didn't work. :( did I do something wrong

Code

Art.ini:

[sHKCOM] ; Tesla Commando by DE2K

Cameo=SHKCOMICON

AltCameo=SHKCOMUICO

Sequence=ConSequence

Crawls=yes

Remapable=yes

FireUp=2

PrimaryFireFLH=100,-25,135

SecondaryFireFLH=100,-25,135

Rules.ini:

Under [infantryTypes]:

XX=SHKCOM (Where XX is the next available number, below 100)

Where the infantry specifications are:

; Soviet Tesla Commando by DE2K

[sHKCOM]

UIName=Name:SHKCOM

Name=Tesla Commando

Category=Soldier

Primary=TcomBolt

C4=yes

Assaulter=no ; I clear out UC buildings

Prerequisite=BARRACKS

RequiresStolenSovietTech=yes

CrushSound=InfantrySquish

Crushable=no

Strength=250

Armor=Plate

TechLevel=5

Pip=red

Sight=8

Speed=5

Owner=Russians,Confederation,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry,British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance

AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no

Cost=2000

Soylent=1000

Points=50

IsSelectableCombatant=yes

VoiceSelect=TeslaTroopSelect

VoiceMove=TeslaTroopMove

VoiceAttack=TeslaTroopAttackCommand

VoiceFeedback=TeslaTroopFear

VoiceSpecialAttack=TeslaTroopMove

DieSound=TeslaTroopDie

Locomotor={4A582744-9839-11d1-B709-00A024DDAFD1}

PhysicalSize=1

MovementZone=Infantry

ThreatPosed=25 ; This value MUST be 0 for all building addons

VeteranAbilities=STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF,SIGHT,FASTER

EliteAbilities=SELF_HEAL,STRONGER,FIREPOWER,ROF

ImmuneToVeins=no

Size=1

AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no

ElitePrimary=TcomBoltE

IFVMode=6

In the Weapons section:

; Fire by Telsa Commando

[TcomBolt]

Damage=110

ROF=50

Range=4

Speed=100

Warhead=Electric

Report=TeslaTankAttack

Projectile=InvisibleLow

IsElectricBolt=true

; Elite Fire by Telsa Commando

[TcomBoltE]

Damage=140

ROF=45

Range=6

Speed=100

Warhead=Electric

Report=TeslaTankAttack

Projectile=Electricbounce

IsElectricBolt=true

I give full credit to DE2K

Edited by killerman132

Did you modify rules/art or rulesmd/artmd? Secondly, what doesn't work? Does it not appear? Is the unit invisible? etc.

Is it on the [infantryTypes] list? But it looks like you need to infiltrate a Soviet Battle Lab to get it so you won't see it by default. You'll need to remove the line that says "RequiresStolenSovietTech=yes" then set the Prerequisite to NAHAND,NATECH or something like that so you can only get it as the Soviets... unless you don't mind everyone being able to use it. Make sure your files are in the RA2 directory as well. It's recommended to make a new MIX file, but YR is okay with loose modification files.

thanks I'll try that ^_^:yr:\

Edit; It works! thanks for the help

Edited by killerman132

You need a voxel called tanktur.vxl and an HVA called tanktur.hva with tank being the identifier for your unit. Then find the unit in the rules and add Turret=yes to it. That's all it takes... however, this should really be kept to vehicles designed to have a turret.