Plok

Croatian localisation of C&C 95

Neat. But my install is still 1.06c r1 f1 :P

So? The only change is, you can just dump the strings in an ini file, and leave out those that are still the same as in English (like, music track names and the population data for the map screens).

Also, um, why the heck haven't you upgraded to r3? :P

Well, I'm not done with the strings, I haven't even begun doing the mission briefings and I intend to make voiceovers for the units.

And I didn't play TD in ages, I still have a 1.06c r2 patch file unused :scared:

Okay, back to work, then. In what context is "Containment Team" used?

"Allow separate helipad purchase" =?????

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

"Containment Team" is the internal name of the Special (JP) house. Like pretty much all internal objects types in the game, houses have a name string linked to them. It basically means, special forces team created for containing the dinosaur threat. Those names are never actually shown ingame though, as far as I know.

"Allow separate helipad purchase" is a hidden internal option that allows players to buy a helipad for only $300, without a helicopter on it. The option is used in this hidden dialog, but overall, it's not very useful to translate that stuff, since it can't be shown or used without hacking (and they're all rules.ini options now anyway). So yeah, unless you're feeling especially productive, the option strings you find on that pic can be left out :)

Also, could I get a sample of those fonts so I can test the strings?

You can just use the Polish pack for that, actually. Same font. All characters should be in there if you convert to DOS-852.

Can't get it to work in this rev3 system. GAH! Copied the Polish files, renamed some to XXXhrv.XXX, set lang_hrv hopefully properly and I've tried everything with conquer.ini. All I see is English. This was rather demotivating...

EDIT: I needed to shift lang_hrv to INI instead of TXT, but now TD hangs on startup!!

Umm, what? You just install the polish language pack, set the language to Polish, and, I dunno, make some mission with your strings in the briefing or name fields? I'm not sure exactly what you want to test...

Do make sure none of the ini files are ever saved in utf-8. That might lock it up real good.

If you've done the strings file, you can also just attach it here, as ini, and I can test it on my internal version and show you how it looks ingame, with a main menu screenshot or something.

I'll try to get r4 released asap -_-

Here's the entire .mix.

Oh. You DID make a strings file :|

[edit]

I see what caused the crash. You somehow removed all .fnt extensions from the font files you put inside the mixfile. The control ini has them as "12grdhrv.fnt" etc, while the actual file's name is simply "12grdhrv". So, basically, you told the game to load nonexistent font files.

It's incomplete, though. So, what's the issue?

EDIT: Oooooohhh... XCC Mixer sometimes does crap like that.

Croatian letters render wrongly, and upon loading any mission, saved or new, I get an "Error - out of memory" message so I need to Task Manager it off (the OK button is below the visible space)

The issue is that the next version won't need a strings file at all since it can read strings from ini. If you'd just make it in the ini right away, it saves me a conversion and a cleanup of untranslated values. It's not easy to somehow get numbers before all entries; the only way I found so far is to make it into a HTML Ordered List and then copy that from Internet Explorer. -_-

As for the fonts, that's not an XCC error at all. You put the files in while they had no extension.

As for it rendering wrongly... that's all irrelevant if you just get me the briefings and strings file, both as ini, in UTF-8. I can do the conversion myself; it's just 2 clicks in Editpad Pro. Strings conversion is one of the most annoying things in making these language packs, and now I got rid of that annoyance, so please, make use of that. I need the strings file in this format, with ` characters as line breaks.

By the way, as the guide says, you NEED the MisNametag and MisBrieftag. If you don't add them, the game will simply accept the "Name=" and "[briefing]" in the mission file as being correct for that language, and won't look further in the custom added briefings file.

[edit]

I guess the problem here is that you indeed didn't realize that strings conversion is one of the most annoying things in making these language packs. You can't just type strings into the strings editor; it'll save them in your standard Windows text encoding (I'm guessing win-1250). The only way to put them in correctly is by:

1. getting the full English strings as text file, with all line breaks inside string entries replaced by text characters (# in my old .txt strings file)
  2. translating that
  3. converting it to the DOS text encoding of the font you use
  4. opening that text file it in the strings editor
  5. replacing all line break characters by actual line breaks
  6. saving it as C&C strings file

[edit]

Some more notes:

-the strings file you started from is incomplete. It is missing 2 strings at the end.

-You took the English one as base, which has the areas for the map data in square mile. Most countries use kilometers, though. The French and German files have the correct for KM^2

-You translate the "Blossom Tree" as "tiberium tree". I personally think that's not a good idea, since the fact it's called "blossom tree" is an intended (cruel) joke in the game.

Anyway, I attached the strings file converted to UTF-8 ini. Simply edit that for now.

text_hrv.zip

Huh, does your strings file contain the è character? Because, I dont' have that in the DOS-852 font.

No. I typed "ščćđž ŠČĆĐŽ" in EditPad Pro, converted that to DOS-852 and copied the characters as necessary. However, the bigger problem is the inability of the game to load a mission, saved or new.

Yeah, ignore that, I was looking at it in Win-1252 encoding instead of Win-1250. I didn't see your new reply while editing my post; check it again to see my new notes. The problem is that the strings editor, being a Windows app, still saves your text in Windows encoding.

[edit]

btw, why was there "(voices)" added to the end of the Voice Rhythm music track name? :o

As for your inability to load or save missions, it probably just means you did something wrong with the language pack, somehow...

[edit]

Found it. Your language ini enable the icons replacement system with "MIXIcnh=ihrv.mix". If you don't actually have those temp/wint/dese/snowihrv.mix files, this will freeze the game when going to battlefield view.

Out of curiosity... what does the "hrv" stand for? Seemd like a long stretch from "Croatian" :P

(edit: nevermind. Hrvatski. Google Translate FTW :P )

Some more notes:

-the strings file you started from is incomplete. It is missing 2 strings at the end.

Really? Didn't delete a single one myself. I used IStrings.

-You took the English one as base, which has the areas for the map data in square mile. Most countries use kilometers, though. The French and German files have the correct for KM^2

I was too lazy to convert them. Thanks for the tip with the French and German versions!

-You translate the "Blossom Tree" as "tiberium tree". I personally think that's not a good idea, since the fact it's called "blossom tree" is an intended (cruel) joke in the game.

No idea how to translate a "Blossom Tree" to Croatian. My only idea would be "Cvjetajuće stablo" (Blossoming Tree), but Tiberium isn't a flower.

Yeah, ignore that, I was looking at it in Win-1252 encoding instead of Win-1250. I didn't see your new reply while editing my post; check it again to see my new notes. The problem is that the strings editor, being a Windows app, still saves your text in Windows encoding.

How to avoid this when editing?

btw, why was there "(voices)" added to the end of the Voice Rhythm music track name? :o

?

Found it. Your language ini enable the icons replacement system with "MIXIcnh=ihrv.mix". If you don't actually have those temp/wint/dese/snowihrv.mix files, this will freeze the game when going to battlefield view.

I have at least three, may have missed one.

[EDIT]

The game works now, forgot to make tempihrv.mix. But still, I'm getting Ŕ instead of č etc.

I detailed in my other post how to CORRECTLY convert the strings file. There IS NO easy way to do that in the strings editor. Which is why I'm switching to ini.

As for why you were missing strings, it's because you didn't use the latest version, AND because r4 contains another new string. I publish these language files on my site for a reason -_-

If you want to keep testing with your strings file, though, you'll need to convert your strings file to text, correct the encoding, and then convert it back.

The easiest way to do that is dropping the file into Editpad Pro, switching to hexadecimal mode (ctrl+h) (if it doesn't do so automatically), deleting everything before string #1 ("%3d.%02d"), then searching & replacing all 0D bytes by "#" characters, and then replacing all 00 bytes by 0D0A bytes to get line breaks. Then, make sure there is exactly one open line at the top of the text file, and add the missing strings at the end.

Then, switch back to text mode (again, ctrl+h), use the Convert function to VIEW the file in Windows 1250 text encoding, then use it again to CONVERT it to DOS-852 text encoding. Save it as some new text file, and follow the steps in the post I linked to, starting from step #4.

(And now I hope you understand why I switched this mess over to simple ini format :P )

btw, I have no idea why you think some random youtube video would have a correct name for the track. The only reliable sources for the names are the original ingame listing, the track listings on the soundtrack CDs, and Frank Klepacki's website. I think whoever called that "Voices" only looked at the internal filename, VOIC226M.

(And now I hope you understand why I switched this mess over to simple ini format :P )

And I AM using the INI file you gave me along with conquer.hrv. I edited the last two strings and hit Ctrl+S.

btw, I have no idea why you think some random youtube video would have a correct name for the track. The only reliable sources for the names are the original ingame listing, the track listings on the soundtrack CDs, and Frank Klepacki's website. I think whoever called that "Voices" only looked at the internal filename, VOIC226M.

Believe me, I could've sworn I saw that as an alternative title somewhere else...

As I said though, the ini strings file method only works in the still-unreleased revision 4... at the moment I'm the only one who can test that.

Anyway, I attached the strings file converted to UTF-8 ini. Simply edit that for now.

****. When I want to convert it back to .hrv (I assume the CustomStringsFile=text_hrv.ini entry won't work in r3??), it just messes everything up. The hell, wasn't every diacritic supposed to be in DOS-852 coding?

I can convert your .hrv strings file to DOS-852 for you if you want... it's just a matter of opening it in editpad pro, cutting off the index table at the start of the file, then seeing it as text, converting it from Win1250 to DOS852, and then pasting the index table back at the start. If you attach your latest version I'll have it done in a minute.

As for the ini, eh, the fact you can't just convert it back might be because the ini doesn't contain all entries, but only those that need to be replaced.

I can convert your .hrv strings file to DOS-852 for you if you want... it's just a matter of opening it in editpad pro, cutting off the index table at the start of the file, then seeing it as text, converting it from Win1250 to DOS852, and then pasting the index table back at the start. If you attach your latest version I'll have it done in a minute.

Might figure that one out myself one day...

As for the ini, eh, the fact you can't just convert it back might be because the ini doesn't contain all entries, but only those that need to be replaced.

No. I have one extra string in the beginning ([CustomStrings]) and all diacritics are split to 3 unrelated characters.

Then you have to test a bit and see which encoding it comes from. Might be utf-8.

Considering returning to this project. Just a question about the cameos - are the blank PNG files for both desert and temperate theaters completely identical or are there changes in pixel nuances?