Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

GenTool Developer Interview

Earlier this month Planet CNC posted an interview they had with, Xezon who is the developer of GenTool, a popular add-on for C&C Generals and Zero Hour which enhances the gameplay experience, especially in multiplayer. Here's part of the interview.

grPFX.png

GenTool is a tool, increasing in popularity, that claims to enhance the C&C Generals online multiplayer experience. Can you explain what prompted you to create the tool in the first place, and what challenges you faced along the way? Can you also go into a bit of technical detail and explain how your tool interfaces with the game?

Well it definitely does. The game is better with GenTool, but without changing the core. It offers features you would expect from modern games to have by default. The initial idea was to add little features to make streaming tasks easier. But over time I saw more possibilities and it evolved into an ultimate tool to enhance replays, gaming and anti-cheat. Nowadays the lobbies are crowded with GenTool users and it is great to have the opportunity to play cheat-free games. Most features of GenTool work like hacks or trainers do - it accesses/changes game code on assembler level. It is pretty time consumptive to get something to work, since there is no highlevel source code available to interface with the game.

Have you had any feedback from Electronic Arts or anyone involved with the original game? If so, what has the reception been like? Similarly, what has the feedback from the rest of the CNC community been like so far?

I do not know about developer feedback, but the competitive community is happy with the program. Some players said they would not touch the game without GenTool anymore.

Click here for the rest of the interview. You can learn more of GenTool and download it for yourself from the official site.

Kind of nice to have PlanetCnC update for once. I hope that they can start getting more deidcated team members on there again, but I doubt that it will be as good as it used to be.