Sign in to follow this  
AZ-Stalker

Monitor's Screen Alignment Problem: 1680x1050 (Black Line)

overscan.jpg

PROBLEM:

I cannot adjust my monitor's screen to properly display anything at my monitor's native 16:10 aspect ratio resolution of 1680x1050. Both my graphic card's software (Catalyst Control Center, 2012) and monitor detect the upper border of the display area to be about 1 centimeter below the edge of my screen, so everything I view is dropped down below the screen as seen in the "edited" screenshot (the task bar is not shown because it has fallen down below the displayed area). This "bug" only happens at my "most native" resolution of 1680x1050 and only recently! All other resolution settings are perfectly alligned. The problem is that whatever method of adjustment, be it manual via the monitor's buttons, desktop properties/settings or other software detects that black line (upper part of the screen) as the adjustment border. IT IS NOT possible to move the screen more upwards via any adjustment method - if anything, the adjustment keys grey-out. The screen is at this state all the way from the welcome/log-on screen throughout any game of program. It's just horribly annoying.

In short, I need to bring my display back up a couple of pixels so it doesn't cut the bottom part. The problem is, how?

DETAILS:

This all happened in a surprise screen refresh after I had installed a previously confirmed operational unofficial patch for an older PC game called Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. The patch by Wesp5 or something like that, version 7.9 (plus). The plus edition had an HD resolution patcher, quite simple. I installed everything and set the resolution to my native 16:10 aspect ratio. Everything worked like a charm until I exited the game a second time, then my display fell down like someone planted explosives underneath the bottom of my screen display. And I've been trying to work this out ever since. This graphical issue shouldn't have happened. It's also important to note that my monitor has had refresh rate problems and I'm currently experiencing a slight ghost-like Photoshop wind filter effect whenever I look at a white box or white text on say a forum or something... so yeah, my monitor is acting up. But until I manage to get another one and test everything out, I'd like to know if anyone has any other ideas on how to fix my display by any other means other than reinstalling my windows which is not an option at the moment. Oh and I believe this display problem has something to do with the terms "overscan" and possibly "underscan", but I'm not exactly sure.

COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS:

Click my xifre signature below any of my posts to see what my computer consists of.

I'm using WinXP Pro S3...

THINGS I HAVE ALREADY TRIED TO FIX THE ISSUE:

Graphic card driver re-installation. - failed

Graphic card software re-installation. - failed

Monitor-related fixes and re-installations. - failed

Catalyst Control Center 2012 adjustments. - failed

Desktop properties/settings adjustments. - failed

Manual monitor screen adjustments. - failed (though it did bump everything up about 3 pixels)

Monitor auto-adjustment setting. - failed

THINGS I WILL TRY SOON ENOUGH:

Hooking up another monitor as a test. - pending

Edited by AZ-Stalker

Guest Stevie_K

Sounds like your monitor is kaput. My old monitor started acting weird in those ways as well. After a week of struggling to fix the problem I decided to buy a new one.

Open your Screen Resolution settings in the control panel under Display. Check monitor 1, I guess it would be, then drag it so the top left position is 0,0. I encountered a similar problem with my secondary monitor and that's how I fixed it.

Nothing, it still won't budge... It's already at 0.0 from what I can tell. :(

Guest Rabbit

Try screwing your monitor up as much as you can with bull**** settings, then, unplug it from everything, leave it off for a day, and then reset it all to it's normal settings once again.

It sounds ridiculous, but you never know when some random thing will work.

Killing the mains power may help, even for a short time, like a few minutes. If you have tried the various monitor settings, software and drivers and nothing has solved it, you could have a faulty panel.

How is your monitor connected to the computer? DVI, HDMI or VGA Analog?

UG7ut.jpgenvjg.jpgSx5r1.jpg

DVI, HDMI is the best to use these days.

It's connected via DVI. I've checked for bent connection pins and everything seems to be alright.

I've also recently exchanged the old cable with a "newer" one I found lying around and the results are the same.

Have you tested with another monitor? I think that's your last option now.

Hooked up a new monitor today (same model).

Display issue fixed itself with minor manual adjustments.

The "old" monitor was obviously starting to act up.

I think we're done here, thanks everyone for trying to help out. :badpc:

Edited by AZ-Stalker