Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Megaupload returns next month?

Next month Kim Dotcom will release a new and improved version of the now defunct Megaupload. Today, he unveiled the new look of the site by sharing several teaser screenshots, including one of the encryption interface. Mega, as the new service is called, will turn encryption into a mass product and Dotcom believes that with Mega’s help half of all Internet traffic will be encrypted in 5 years.

mega-file.jpg

http://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-mega-will-turn-encryption-into-a-mass-product-121207/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seems you can't keep a good man down.

Or a fat man out of a bakery. ^_^

Guest Rabbit

Who knows what it means though. Kim Dotcom registered the domain Me.ga, and that was gobbled up by the authorities within days.

I doubted about this. Does that mean the users who had their MU accounts get their files back or they have to start all over again? I might bet the US Government will go after that new domain and site for copyrighting issues before it re-opens.

The new Megaupload is designed so it can't be brought down according to Dotcom, though I don't entirely believe him.

The new Megaupload is designed so it can't be brought down according to Dotcom, though I don't entirely believe him.

Such a thing is possible. The Pirate Bay, for instance, is now cloud-based and virtually raid-proof.

Guest Rabbit

Raid proof, but that doesn't stop the government from stepping in with a court order and demanding their shutdown.

That just hasn't happened yet, but the government of Sweden, if they really wanted, could snag the domain and any others that pop up in a heart beat. Same thing goes for whatever government hosts the tld of Mr. Dotcom's website.

Raid proof, but that doesn't stop the government from stepping in with a court order and demanding their shutdown.

Then they'll just pick a country that won't mind it. The pirate-friendly Sweden itself sounds good.

From what I remember reading Megaupload is also gonna is gonna use cloud services, I think they're asian ones too but I'm not sure.

Edited by Iran

Yep, MegaUpload has been re-opened as Mega:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414529,00.asp

and

http://gizmodo.com/5977163/hands-on-with-kim-dotcoms-new-mega-this-service-could-dismantle-copyright-forever

Link to the new Mega (Finally the kiwis have their new official file-sharing website!)

https://www.mega.co.nz/

Since New Zealand is Middle-earth with peace, pleasure and privacy, it won't be long before Mega could get invaded (and raided) again by anti-piracy groups.

Edited by zocom7

It might get raided, it might not, but I think they're being a whole lot more careful nowadays.

From an article I read (can't find it now), the downside to the service is that the encryption is tied to the password you first sign up with. You cannot change your password at this point. So that means once someone gains access to your account, well, all your data is exposed. So keep the password to yourself and I wouldn't trust public terminals (which sort of defeats the point of a cloud service IMO).

You also better remember the password you give yourself, there's no "Forgot my password" tool because of this limitation..

Passwords easily cracked in some instances too, yikes.