Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Google is getting pathetic again with YouTube

Cmon, Man!

YouTube co-founder hurls abuse at Google over new YouTube comments

After clearing his profile of all but the very first video uploaded to the site, YouTube's co-founder Jawed Karim added another comment – fuelling the controversy over Google's changes to its comments system.

On April 23rd 2005, Karim uploaded YouTube's first video, of himself at the zoo. But his profile shows nothing else until the question asked yesterday on his channel: why the **** do i need a Google+ account to comment on a video?

Google's overhaul of YouTube comments has sparked controversy: the YouTube video announcing the change has nearly 30,000 comments, many including harsh criticism of the move through the medium of ASCII art.

As Karim has noticed, the site now requires a Google+ account to comment. That has clearly angered him. Other commenters have said that they won't use Google+ to comment on YouTube videos – and so will stop commenting.

The company argues that this is necessary to personalise comment sections for each viewer: "You’ll see posts at the top of the list from the video’s creator, popular personalities, engaged discussions about the video, and people in your Google+ Circles," Google explained in a blogpost.

But others suspect that its intention is to artificially boost the apparent number of users of its Google+ social network.

Google+ has been the source of dissent for some users as Google first added a G+ account to every Gmail address, whether or not people wanted it, used it to reward peoples' position in searches, and then made it essential for commenting on Google Play reviews.

However the company has been reluctant to share details about how many people actively use the network for social purposes, with one report suggesting that there were fewer than 10 million daily users in mid-2012. Google has provided less clear "activity" figures – citing 540 million active users who take "some sort" of social action each month, and 300 million "in stream" monthly users. Adding YouTube comments could increase that enormously – perhaps to as much as Facebook's 1.2 billion monthly users.

Karim was working at PayPal in 2005 when he met Chad Hurley and Steve Chen, the other co-founders of the company. But he took a back seat to the growing venture, instead enrolling in Stanford University as a computer science graduate student while acting as an advisor to the site. When YouTube was acquired by Google in 2007, Karin's payoff was worth around $65m.

• Google+ isn't a social network; it's the Matrix

• This article was amended on 12 November 2013 because the original said Jawed Karim made his second-ever post on YouTube after an eight-year silence. The picture caption was also amended to correct Karim's name, from Jared Karin as the original said.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/08/youtube-cofounder-why-the-****-do-i-need-a-google-account-to-comment

And now there's a petition to reverse the change: https://www.change.org/petitions/google-change-the-youtube-comment-section-back-to-its-original-form
....and there may be more than one of these. But talking about supporters to reverse the change, there could be millions.

Must have a ******* Google+ account to comment on any YouTube video? I have a Google+ page but I don't really like to use my real name to comment on videos and that is just pathetic. Also, censoring comments under the First Amendment of free speech is also a bad idea because this is not China, Google!

Edit: Another issue I found out, I have to allow third-party cookies and even disable ad-block/privacy add-ons in order to comment in a YouTube video. Back then, I can comment even though those add-ons are enabled including blocking third-party cookies.

Yeah google have been messing with Youtube for a while now, can't say I like most of the changes.

btw, is there a good e-mail service just as efficient for basic things like gmail, hotmail and etc?

By basic I mean just as username in forums and etc and getting some messages eventually.

It's time for a change, I'm already preferring Vimeo, next move is the e-mail and after I'll stop with FB too.

btw, is there a good e-mail service just as efficient for basic things like gmail, hotmail and etc?

By basic I mean just as username in forums and etc and getting some messages eventually.

It's time for a change, I'm already preferring Vimeo, next move is the e-mail and after I'll stop with FB too.

Yahoo is a good e-mail service, without the ads unlike gmail does.

Vimeo isn't a great alternative to YouTube though due to limited results of videos that you may or may not find. Dailymotion, Metacafe and Veoh are great alternatives to YouTube. Vevo was the alternative music video website to YouTube.

YouTube has a nasty problem of ****ty users and ****ty comments, but this wasn't the way to tackle it. Google should just have moderated it a bit more like a forum is moderated. Comments that break the conditions get deleted and users get warned. After a certain warning level, they lose the ability to comment, or something like that. Sure, we'll see people just signing up new accounts just to spam, but maybe make it so new accounts have to view a certain amount of videos or just leave it. If someone really wants to spend that much time trolling or harassing someone, let the pathetic dick do so.

The G+ integration is just irritating.

Yahoo is a good e-mail service, without the ads unlike gmail does.

Vimeo isn't a great alternative to YouTube though due to limited results of videos that you may or may not find. Dailymotion, Metacafe and Veoh are great alternatives to YouTube. Vevo was the alternative music video website to YouTube.

Vevo should die and burn in the pits of digital Hell, so /b/.

What's wrong with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo for just email services? I hate some of the things Google is doing with some of their services, but their email service is still top notch.

Edited by TheBlackOut

As of right now, over 220,000 signatures proposed the change in the petition. But that's not enough to overturn this.

More articles:

and

Oh, the humanity.......

Guest Rabbit

Like many people have said countless times.

If you're not paying for any of this, you're the product.

Guest Stevie_K

If you're not paying for any of this, you're the product.

Unless you use AdBlock ;):D

I don't like the new YouTube comment system either. I feel like they could have prevented commentators being idiots a better way than this.

Unless you use AdBlock ;):D

I don't like the new YouTube comment system either. I feel like they could have prevented commentators being idiots a better way than this.

Yeah, but AdBlock gets paid from companies to not block their advertisments.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043847/advertisers-can-pay-adblock-plus-to-look-the-other-way.html

The reason why Google merged Google+ with YouTube is clear - their social network is on life support. Everyone uses Facebook (over one bilion people registered - the biggest database ever made), so they had to convince people to move to Google+, by merging it with the biggest video upload site. The idea is stupid, add ASCII support is even more, and We (The Customers) can't do anything, because we don't pay for anything... oh, we do, by sharing our private data with this company. Never before people shared so much data about themselfs like nowadays. You don't even need a special agents to track somebody - just type suspect name in Google search engine, check his/her Facebook account and you know everything about this person. Merge YT with Google+ is just next step against privacy in Web.

Orwell wasn't right in his "1984". Huxley was in "Brave New World".

Edited by Traymen

New changes to the YouTube comment section that's getting.... well more mixed reviews:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/google-changes-youtube-comments-once-more--receives-a-mixed-response-9058604.html

But this new change still doesn't really help with the Google+ system.