Sign in to follow this  
Danvern

Playing RA2/YR without CD inserted [AUTODET PIRACY PROTECTION]

Greetings to the forums!

Before anything else is said:

zYK3EWQ.jpg

So yes, I did purchase the game.

Now to the actual problem; quite a while ago I had purchased the game and played, mostly single player and LAN for a couple months and then (since the disk had evidently visited the local miller) copied the data to an ISO file. A while later (later being now) I tried reinstalling from the ISO with my keys (blurred in the image to comply with forum rules) to be greeted by the inspiring piece of DRM known as auto-det. I have tried reinstalling multiple times without success, however oddly enough, the ISO worked for reinstall on my old computer (Windows XP Pentium, the minor observation of it making rather bovine noises most likely signalling the failure of its HD) but not for the current one I use (Windows 7 Gateway, 8GB RAM, 3.00GHz processor, 1TB SSD). Since buying another copy is Not An Option™, I ask if there is any way to avoid the auto-det program without buying a new one?

You cannot simply rip the files from TS/FS/RA2/YR discs and slap them to a different CD. The game will recognize if it was done in such a way. Unless you can make a 1:1 copy with third-party software, you should use your original discs.

• Upvote 1

Understood, the ISOs were made with Alcohol120 originally, hence them functioning properly before, "...the ISO worked for reinstall on my old computer (Windows XP Pentium...," however it does not work now. Since, "...the disk had evidently visited the local miller...," the originals do not read correctly anymore in the disk drive.

Download fresh ISOs and use your keys. That's what I did last time and it works fine for me... or get a copy of TUC since you don't need a disc for it.

• Upvote 1

Have reinstalled using own key and unmodified ISO, patching to 1.006 for good measure; yet it still detonates when I test using the tutorial campaign stage as a benchmark. Installed with XP SP3 compatibility and administrator rights, running the game with the same settings.

Edited by Danvern

Install it to a different directory and use Windows 98 compatibility mode.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Plokite and Destiny, it finally worked! Hope to see you soon in Multiplayer (if you play of course, that is).

Interestingly enough, after switching to Win 98, reinstalling in a different directory (Red Alert 2 vs RA2), restarting the game 4 times, restarting the computer and running CHKDSK, it ran the tutorial and the Allied campaign all they way through without any problems in any form. I guess patience is quite the appropriate solution in getting this to run.

Now time to install Yuri's Revenge!

EDIT: Unfortunately, it is now happening again after launching the game through GR for multiplayer. Now when loading my single player save for Allied Mission two, every unit besides Tanya and the Rocketeers explode. Happening in Skirmish and when starting new campaigns as well.

EDIT2: Rather oddly, the Yuri's Revenge expansions works perfectly well, but the vanilla game does not.

Edited by Danvern

Go to your Control Panel and check if you have update KB3086255 installed. If you do, remove it, reboot, check the pending update list, block that KB number.

Also try to see if it happens on different ISOs, you may have downloaded faulty ones.

Reinstalled again, uninstalled the update, and installed the origin version for a benchmark test.

For some reason, only Yuri's Revenge works on Origin, and Red Alert 2 Base Game works for non-Origin if and only if Yuri's Revenge is not installed. Mods for Yuri's Revenge (Metal Omega) work perfectly as well.