Sign in to follow this  
VanBandama

Free Game Engine

Hi I'm new to forum. If I posted this topic in wrong section please be polite on me ;d

I was toying around with tiberian sun modding/TC for quite some time. I plan to release my TC with FM cutscenes :D And I want get paid for it ;p

My question is simple. Is Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2 engine free? Don't mind mention OpenRa 'coz it's recreates Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert 1/Dune 2000 engine.

Edited by VanBandama

None of the engines for C&C games are free as the source code for them was never released.

The closest you get is OpenRA which are currently expanding to support TS and RA2 like features as well they have previews out for that.

Otherwise you can look at other engines like Spring, Stratagus.

But since you seemly are looking to create a commercial (and most likely proprietary) product you should look more in the way of Unity, Unreal Engine and CryEngine.

I thought if EA released Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun as free so mods/TC can be commercial ;d And how about cutscenes implementation in OpenRa? Did anybody try to add them?

Edited by VanBandama

Guest Rabbit

The games were released as freeware, meaning you don't have to purchase them anymore. This doesn't mean you're suddenly allowed to start making money off of them yourself.

On a side note, personally, considering the age of the games and the sheer number of mods out there, I think it would be pretty difficult to convince people to buy *mods* for TD, RA, and TS.

If you want to make money off things you didn't personally make from top to bottom, you may want to invest some time in researching copyright law. And if not, you may want to invest in a lawyer for when you get your pants sued off.