Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Captain America: Civil War

Was good... like crazy good.

Well if you liked Winter Soldier... the style continues.

If you were disappointed by Ultron... this movie fixes it.

The film seems to follow a natural story and path, good pacing, good action, and lots of it.

Only let-down was the dodgy CGI as some characters do their schtick, but it's toned down from Ultron which was obvious and bad.

(For me the biggest flaw in Ultron was the corny humour and one-liners... in Civil War the humour is more subtle and therefore funnier. It was such a genuine delight to hear the packed cinema chuckle with appreciation at the mirth. The second biggest flaw was the telescoping of MCU in ham-fisted ways. This returns to credits-scenes like it should be. I blame the first bit on JW but the second on the Studio.)

Spider-ling is a perfect cameo.

Can we forget BvS now? I feel dirty just typing those letters in that order... bleagh.

Wow, has it already started screening in Aussie? Doesn't start until 4th/5th May here in NZ.

If you were disappointed by Ultron... this movie fixes it.

Ultron was a good movie. It never disappointed me. Especially Ultron himself.

Can we forget BvS now? I feel dirty just typing those letters in that order... bleagh.

I enjoyed BvS. Except for the ending fight with you know who, that sucked. But I will happily add it to my blue-ray collection when it releases.

I think that title should have been called The New Avengers: Civil War. ;)

Edited by zocom7

Nah... Zocom7... they're really just cameos... really good cameos... but Cap carries the movie.

You still have to check your brain at the door, but when you think about comic book heroes have a punch-up in a western saloon... the fight at the airport... ticks all the right boxes.

Don't over-think it, just enjoy the ride.

3d would be a waste of time, as a lot of the hand-to-hand is close-up shaky cam...

UPDATE:

Watched it again on the weekend, while you notice more of the flaws the second time, I also appreciated some of the setup. Take note of the VW scenes and how it prepares the frame of mind of the viewer for the next scenes... or how the big reveals in the SILO setup the climax of that scene.

By no means a perfect film... but flat-out fun and enjoyable.

I'm a bit sceptical about the next XMEN movie though... that looks like a dubious effort. The last Xmen movie (days of future past) almost made me give a standing ovation at the end... but I have a sinking feeling about the next Apocalypse one. When Winter Soldier came out - it was a great action movie in it's own right. Hardly a comic book movie at all... everything was technologically based or enhanced. I didn't think they could pull off a super-powered movie. But they did. Maybe Xmen can do it too. Maybe.

Last word on Civil War... a 'new' spiderman reboot *without* an origin story. Yeeahah! :)

Edited by gben
UPDATE

But I REALLY want to see another film where Spider-Man whines for half the running time...

Going to the movies to see Civil War on Friday night.

U5FAWrL.png7sXKdPo.jpg

So sad... he just wanted plums.