Sign in to follow this  
TaxOwlbear

[Zero Hour] Drawing all the terrain crashes the game upon start

I'm playing Zero Hour in beautiful, beautiful 1440p and increased the maximum camera height to 700 so I can actually exploit all those pixels. This leads to black map edges, especially during cut scenes:

da0add2jlao55ohl1.jpg

I tried to fix this by having the game draw the entire map by setting DrawEntireTerrain = No to Yes in INIZH.big. Unfortunately, this crashes the game upon executing the .exe and gives me this generic error message:

da0abg99dchcuqx39.png

Any advice on how to fix this? This message is generated by changing a couple things e.g. removing the FPS limit (not setting it to 60FPS, but setting UseFPSLimit = Yes to No).

When I used that years back it worked fine for me. Probably a memory issue.

I found the solution: This option, unlike the resolution or the camera height, can't be changed via INIZH.big directly, but apparently has to be changed in GameData.ini. Not sure why, but it works now.

Does anyone here have an extracted GameData.ini for Vanilla Generals?

Nevermind, I made one myself. Turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. #3l173h4ck3r

I don't get what you mean, the big files are just container files...

Changing DrawEntireTerrain in the .big file crashes the game upon start. Changing it in the GameData.ini does not for some reason.

I guess the file size then changed without updating its entry in the bigs manifest. (No are 2 characters while Yes are 3, which would mess up all files starting at this) As the big file contains the ini file.

Edited by Lauren