Sign in to follow this  
Plok

PW's Friday Playlist

D1GfXkI.png

What's my Friday playlist, you might wonder. Back when I was with GameReplays, there would occasionally be someone in the staff forum posting music on Fridays. I gave it a shot several times with posting my own, usually pre-determined posts, and they were received rather warmly. So I'm bringing it back right here on CNCNZ.com, for everyone to see this time around.

What can you expect? Various genres, from regular rock and pop, going in both ways from there on occasion: heavy metal on one end and shameless Eurodance on the other. I keep my music choices varied, frankly, and as time went on, I've been discovering and enjoying various songs and artists. I like what sounds nice, or just that bad that it actually sounds good. I love music and music videos, and I'd like to share this with you guys. Perhaps the songs you hear here will get you ready for the evening, or prepare you for a lazy night at home?

So, we start with my most recent "discovery", the band Garbage and their first single "Vow", which was, believe it or not, popularized by word of mouth before making it big on TV. Gotta love Shirley Manson :)

Garbage - Vow [1995]

While I appreciate a Friday playlist thread, I hope no one else posted Rebecca Black's Friday because that was and still is the worst song to play on a Friday.

One of my favorite versions of a Friday came from this:

This is IMO the best Friday cover (not Glee's version):

However, both of those Friday songs are underrated......

Blur - Country House [1995]

What playlist would be complete without these guys? Blur was one of the key bands in UK music during the 90s, along with Oasis. "Country House" was their first of two number-one hits on the UK charts.

My favorite song of the 1970s.... electronic disco. ;)

And other great songs for a Friday:

Now that Zocom is done confusing my thread for Now Playing - Music that solely he resides in nowadays...

The xx - Crystalised [2009]

Hay, I was going to say... @PurpleGaga27 I think you're missing the point in this thread. That this was going to be PW's music choices, but it sounds like you may have PM'd and sorted it out? PG feel free to post your eclectic choices in the other music thread... and let PW reveal his playlist. I'm curious, I had not heard the blur song...

Well okay then, let the wolf surprise the community. I am through with my own Friday's playlist.

On 28. 05. 2017. at 11:54 AM, Gben said:

I'm curious, I had not heard the blur song...

Blur's songs didn't get a lot of airplay after their peak, short of "Song 2". VH1 Europe, however, featured "Country House" in their jingles a few years back...

Hot Hot Heat - Let Me In [2007]

One of my recent accidental discoveries, this song was featured in the in-game radio station GenX/Ultor FM in Saints Row 2. I don't lightly say this to music recorded in the past decade/decade and a half, but to me it sounds right and perhaps under-represented.

Deftones - Minerva [2003]

It's as good a place as any for this. For CNCNZ.com's final days, I bring you a melancholic song that introduced me to Deftones, I think it sets the mood right.

POST-ZEE EDIT: Eh, it'll stay, to show the prevalent mood during 11 June 2017, and because I missed a Friday. And it's a good song.

Björk - Army Of Me [1995]

A heavy, but catchy song by Björk, the best-known Icelandic musician and probably the most-WTF'd artist in modern music history.

Alternate link for UK residents.

The Crystal Method - Busy Child [1997]

Ah, the late 90s, playing FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup where this was featured...

Apollo 440 - Stop The Rock [1999]

Gorillaz - Sleeping Powder [2017]

If anyone's still interested...

In Flames - Deliver Us [2011]

459 views say this might be worth another shot.

Sonic Mayhem - Swallowed [1999; Quake III Arena soundtrack]

Nirvana - You Know You're Right [2002; posthumous release]

Keane feat. K'Naan - Stop For A Minute [2010]

Garbage - The Trick Is To Keep Breathing [1998; single from 1999]

I'm a sucker for low songs, and this one pushes the right buttons.

The Connells - '74 - '75 [1994; single from 1993]

Been stuck in my head for days. Thanks the90sbutton.com, heard it so many times on the radio but never figured out what the song was.

Peter Gabriel - Steam [1992]

The absolute king of music videos.

The Verve - This Is Music [1995]

Sure is.

Limp Bizkit - My Way [2000; single from 2001]

A special Croatian football music edition for today. We have loads more, but these are the top.

Baruni - Neka pati koga smeta [1998]

Made in our glory days of the 1998 World Cup in France, the chorus "Neka pati koga smeta, Hrvatska je prvak svijeta" ("Who is bothered by it can suffer, Croatia is the world champion") now finally has the potential of getting its full meaning!

Rawbau - Vatreno ludilo [2008]

Yes, that's Slaven Bilić playing guitar. And yes, he was our coach at that same time.

Boris Novković & Dino Dvornik - Malo nas je, al' nas ima [2004]

This is basically one big unloading of important Croatian people and terms up to that time. Sure, some are, um, controversial, but the point is to fit the chorus "Malo nas je, al' nas ima, nije važno - srušit ćemo snove svima" ("We're few but we're there, it doesn't matter - we'll crush everyone's dreams")

Zaprešić Boys - Igraj moja Hrvatska [2018]

These guys emerged over a decade ago, and are notable for their chant-like singing. This is currently the hit fan song.