Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Destiny

RA2 LAN Nonsense

I have LAN working on every computer but mine. I have the destination address set properly, IPX is installed and working, it uses Ethernet II and I can get in the lobby and see everyone... just one time.

After I interact with the screen, it freezes RA2 and I have to kill it. I try again and it freezes when I enter the lobby! I do use Windows 98 but everyone else has XP but I know that's not it.

Any ideas?

Guest Rabbit

Here's my idea. Drop teh windows 98.

Anyway, realistically speaking, wouldn't windows XP have everything to do with the problem? I mean, it's more updated, with it's service packs and such, so, wouldn't the two different computers handle LAN play differently?

Just my best guess. Or, hell, it could quite possibly be the mere fact that because of the difference in the way the computers are run (XP / 98 ), it could have installed RA2 differently, whether files themselves, or in the registry...

And, well, my last guess is... set all the compatibility on all of the computers to 98?

Anyway, I'm not the computer geek, but, that's my best damn guess. =/

I don't think that's it though... if I remove IPX and reinstall it, I can join the Lobby and SEE the others until I interact with the lobby... be it chat or make a game, RA2 freezes up and I have to kill it. That's what is confusing me...

RA2 on LAN was always a problem for me, we could never get it working

there were only two major issues one was software compatibility and the other was something about hardware/software configuration like having the ethnet ports all nice and set up for high speed gaming (that was what you were intending beowulf.. you don't seem like one of those guys that build everything for the sake of building it throwiung it repeatedly at the enemy to no avail)....any how back to subject i'll pm you when i find a site i know that has optimal config settings for games with any type of hardware/software setup.. could take a week or so but then again 've goto get the fs bar working outside of flash and a couple of decent size tafe assingment to knock over first after that ur top priority

The TT article doesn't help at all. I have LAN working for the XP guys but mine just does not want to work. Maybe it's just 98 being retarded... I can never tell. >_>