Rich Nagel

Stereo Sound Effects and Swap File in DOS Red Alert

Folks,

Today I've been playing around with the DOS version of C&C Red Alert. A couple of small discoveries/hints:

Similar to my thread for C&C for DOS here -> http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=10594 , Red Alert also supports stereo for sound effects playback... really sounds nice in conjunction with my Sound Blaster Live's EAX reverb and CMSS surround-sound :) You can use the same instructions in that thread to enable them in RA as well.

I've been using DOSBox v0.74 to run RA, and here are the required lines in the REDALERT.INI file to enable the stereo sound effects playback:

[Sound]
Name=89
Card=e018
Port=220
IRQ=5
DMA=5
BitsPerSample=16
Channels=32
Reverse=0
Speed=1
Subtitles=0

... and here is my custom DOSBox.conf configuration file that I use that includes the required sound card settings (as well as other stuff, such as running the game with mounted CD ISOs):

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.74. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)
# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.
# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.

[sdl]
#       fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)
#       fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.
#   fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).
#                     Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.
#                     If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.
# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.
#                     (output=surface does not!)
#           output: What video system to use for output.
#                   Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.
#         autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)
#      sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.
#      waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.
#         priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.
#                     pause is only valid for the second entry.
#                   Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.
#       mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.
#     usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=250
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,highest
mapperfile=Command and Conquer Red Alert Key Mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
# language: Select another language file.
#  machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.
#           Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.
# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.
#  memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.
#             This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,
#             though few games might require a higher value.
#             There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=63

[render]
# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
#    aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
#    scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
#              If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.
#            Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
#      core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
#            Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.
#   cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
#            Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.
#    cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
#            Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
#            Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
#              'auto'          tries to guess what a game needs.
#                              It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
#              'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
#                              (Example: fixed 4000).
#              'max'           will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.
#            
#            Possible values: auto, fixed, max.
#   cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]
#   nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
#      rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.
#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.
#            Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.
# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]
#     mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
#             Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.
# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
#             Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.
# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.
#               See the README/Manual for more details.

mpu401=none
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
#  sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.
#          Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.
#  sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.
#          Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
#     irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.
#          Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.
#     dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.
#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
#    hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.
#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.
# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.
# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.
#          Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.
#  oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).
#          Possible values: default, compat, fast.
# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).
#          Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=none
oplemu=default
oplrate=22050

[gus]
#      gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
#  gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
#           Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
#  gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.
#           Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.
#   gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.
#           Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.
#   gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.
#           Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.
# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
#           there should be a MIDI directory that contains
#           the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
#           with Timidity should work fine.

gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
#    pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.
#     tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.
#            Possible values: auto, on, off.
# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
#    disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=off
tandyrate=22050
disney=false

[joystick]
# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
#               2axis (supports two joysticks),
#               4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
#               4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
#               fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
#               none disables joystick emulation.
#               auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
#               (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)
#               Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
#        timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).
#     autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
#       swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
#   buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=none
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.
#          Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
#          Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
#          parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).
#          for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
#                           (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).
#          for modem: listenport (optional).
#          for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
#                         transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
#          Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000
#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# serial2: see serial1
# serial3: see serial1
# serial4: see serial1

serial1=directserial realport:com1
serial2=disabled
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
#            xms: Enable XMS support.
#            ems: Enable EMS support.
#            umb: Enable UMB support.
# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
@ECHO OFF
MOUNT C C:\GAMES
IMGMOUNT D "C:\GAMES\REDALERT\Command and Conquer Red Alert Allied Disk.iso" "C:\GAMES\REDALERT\Command and Conquer Red Alert Soviet Disk.iso" -T iso
VER SET 7 10
SET PATH=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\FED;GM_RESET;C:\NC;C:\NE;C:\NU;C:\PATH;C:\PKZIP;C:\TEMP;Z:\
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
SET DOS4GVM=DeleteSwapFile:0,SwapFileName:REDALERT.SWP,SwapInc:0,SwapMin:20M,VirtualSize:20M
C:
CD\REDALERT
RA.EXE
EXIT

Lastly, of special interest, note the:

SET DOS4GVM=DeleteSwapFile:0,SwapFileName:REDALERT.SWP,SwapInc:0,SwapMin:20M,VirtualSize:20M

line above. Seems that even with DOSBox set up to emulate 64MB of RAM, RA *still* requires a 20MB swap file everytime the game is ran (and deletes it when exiting the game). Using that line creates a permanent DOS4GW swap file that doesn't get created and deleted each time that the game is run, and makes startup/loading a bit faster and smoother :)

(edit) What gave me the idea to do that was from a flashback I had the other day <grin> about how I used to run DOS C&C on my old 486DX-100 ( http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Weeds_486DX4-100.htm )... I used the same method to make loading faster, especially when the above-said PC had only a 50MHz CPU.

Edited by Rich Nagel

These variables also appear in the Win95 versions of the games, BUT, big BUT, WWAudioClass is quite hardcoded in the Win95 versions, so these dont appear to have any effect becuase of the updated code.

These variables also appear in the Win95 versions of the games, BUT, big BUT, WWAudioClass is quite hardcoded in the Win95 versions, so these dont appear to have any effect becuase of the updated code.

Not only that, the DOS version uses the Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) drivers for sound (verses C&C95 which uses DirectSound/DirectX). So's unfortunately the "name=" and "card=" entries would have no effect.

Damn shame though, as the stereo effect is quite cool. You can really hear things going on all around you, and it makes it easier to track down who/whom is firing at you :)

I saw that the mods moved this thread... a million apologies for posting it in the wrong forum :rich_slaps_self:

Well i enabled stereo sound in Tiberian Sun, once i can work out how to do so in RA95, ill sure pass the info onto Nyerguds for C&C95.

Well i enabled stereo sound in Tiberian Sun, once i can work out how to do so in RA95, ill sure pass the info onto Nyerguds for C&C95.

That would be super if you/he could add the feature to C&C95 and RA95 :) To me, it makes the game that much more enjoyable, as well as (like I said before) being real handy for quickly figuring out where the action is taking place :)

Man (just like I posted in my other C&C sterero sfx thread), now if we/I could only have true 4-channel quad. surround sound <grin>.

Strangely, that dos4gw swap file trick makes my RA1 load much slower. I prefer using an alternative dos32a extender, that really reduces loading times when using dosbox.

Strangely, that dos4gw swap file trick makes my RA1 load much slower.

That's strange... on my PC it seemed to help the load times a bit.

I prefer using an alternative dos32a extender, that really reduces loading times when using dosbox.

Which dos32a extender do you use? I figger I'd try that one as well :)

Which dos32a extender do you use? I figger I'd try that one as well :)

There's only one dos32a, so just download the latest version and embed it into the ra.exe replacing dos4gw.

There's only one dos32a, so just download the latest version and embed it into the ra.exe replacing dos4gw.

Thanks for the info :) I'll check that out as well, and see if I performance improves.

Thanks for the info :) I'll check that out as well, and see if I performance improves.

There is no difference performance wise but loading times become really shorter.

Forgot to add, you should embed dos32a not with ra.exe, but with game.dat (renamed to game.exe)

Edited by Roadkill

There is no difference performance wise but loading times become really shorter.

Forgot to add, you should embed dos32a not with ra.exe, but with game.dat (renamed to game.exe)

Thanks for the info :) I had a hunch that it would be the GAME.DAT file.

As far as performance, I think I also try it with C&C... the game gets a bit chuggy when I'm playing 'skirmish' mode type games, with 5 AI players and 50 units each (via my C&CHOE utility for the DOS version of C&C).

Come to think of it, there are several games that I might try this on. One that comes to mind is Terra Nova. When there is a lot of things going on in the game, freamerate can get real choppy. It's another that uses DOS4GW, so's I might try it on that one as well :)

Edited by Rich Nagel

FWIW, I tried it with Terra Nova, but had random crashes with the game when using DOS32A. I then tried it with DOS C&C, and it indeed helped framerate a bit (when I was 'skirmish-ing'), but... it totally destroys my C&CHOE utility LOL, so's I don't think I'll normally use DOS32A with it.

FWIW, I tried it with Terra Nova, but had random crashes with the game when using DOS32A. I then tried it with DOS C&C, and it indeed helped framerate a bit (when I was 'skirmish-ing'), but... it totally destroys my C&CHOE utility LOL, so's I don't think I'll normally use DOS32A with it.

At least I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes DOS versions of C&C and RA1 :)

At least I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes DOS versions of C&C and RA1 :)

It's just got something about it... I dunno. I'm the same way with a lot of other games: I play vanilla DOS DOOM more than any of the Windows ports, always liked SimCity 2000 for DOS better than the Windows versions (except for the extra zoom-in level that they have), and for that matter, had a lot more fun with SC2K than SC3KU.

Another that comes to mind, Monopoly Deluxe for DOS verses the Windows version. While the Windows version is *supposed* to be a direct port of the DOS version, the DOS version blows the crap out of the Windows version... _extra_ features, easier interface, and smoother gameplay.

Now that I'm thinking about it as well, Air Traffic Controller (a.k.a. TRACON by Wesson International): LOVE the DOS version... ABSOLUTELY **HATE** the Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 versions!

Of course, Nyerguds patches for C&C95 are extremely tempting... put's my measly "C&C Hidden Option Utility" to shame LOL!

Edited by Rich Nagel

It's just got something about it... I dunno. I'm the same way with a lot of other games: I play vanilla DOS DOOM more than any of the Windows ports, always liked SimCity 2000 for DOS better than the Windows versions (except for the extra zoom-in level that they have), and for that matter, had a lot more fun with SC2K than SC3KU.

Another that comes to mind, Monopoly Deluxe for DOS verses the Windows version. While the Windows version is *supposed* to be a direct port of the DOS version, the DOS version blows the crap out of the Windows version... _extra_ features, easier interface, and smoother gameplay.

Now that I'm thinking about it as well, Air Traffic Controller (a.k.a. TRACON by Wesson International): LOVE the DOS version... ABSOLUTELY **HATE** the Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 versions!

Of course, Nyerguds patches for C&C95 are extremely tempting... put's my measly "C&C Hidden Option Utility" to shame LOL!

Well, speaking of C&C and RA1, DOS versions don't have any extra stuff compared to Win versions, but I played DOS versions first back then and somehow I love these zoomed-in graphics. And yeah, DOS DOOM is >>> any windows port :thumbsup: There was really something special about DOS gaming back then. I take Dune 2 over Dune 2000 or Emperor any day :)

Well, speaking of C&C and RA1, DOS versions don't have any extra stuff compared to Win versions, but I played DOS versions first back then and somehow I love these zoomed-in graphics.

Well, the higher video rez of them sure looks nice :)

And yeah, DOS DOOM is >>> any windows port :thumbsup: There was really something special about DOS gaming back then. I take Dune 2 over Dune 2000 or Emperor any day :)

Again, the higher video res looks nice, but I guess I've been playing DOS DOOM for too long to really enjoy it LOL!

BTW, just got around to testing out (embedding) DOS32A with RA/CS/AM, and it definitely helps with load times, considerably moreso than my afore-mentioned permanent swap file setting for DOS4GW :)

One thing that I noticed:

The DOS map/terrain editor for RA loads MISERABLY slow under DOSBox. I also tried embedding DOS32A in the editor's EDIT.DAT executable, but had the same results.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it simply a side effect of running the editor under DOSBox? I'm assuming that in native DOS, it wouldn't load so painfully slow (even on a fairly quick 486 class machine).

It's always been that slow. Even on real DOS.

Heh, a little update on the slow loading terrain editor for DOS...

I accidently executed the DOS editor (EDDOS.EXE) while in Windows XP (SP2). I normally run most DOS things under DOSBox, as a lot of the older DOS stuff has a tendancy to choke WXP (sometimes even causing a reboot <aarrgghh>).

Anyhow, the DOS editor not only runs perfectly when ran/shelled from WXP, but it loads 1000% INSTANTLY! :)