Jump to content
Sonic

Amer Ajami Interviewed About RA3's Co-Op Campaign

Recommended Posts

1UP.com has posted an interview with Red Alert 3 producer Amer Ajami on the subject of Red Alert 3's co-op campaign mode. This is one part of the game that hasn't been given much attention yet. Here's part of the interview to get you started.

 

1UP: OK, let's get a super basic question out of the way: How does joining work? Do I just jump into your match at any time, or do we need to set aside an appointment time for co-op, or what?

 

Amer Ajami: OK, when you're in a mission, you can't [just] jump in; you have to start a mission together. But in between missions, you can kick a person or swap him for another player or A.I., or just keep playing. So, it's in between missions where the joining and kicking come in.

 

1UP: So when you're in the co-op scenario, does the second player control a duplicate force of guys and tanks?

 

Amer Ajami: It's rarely, if ever, duplicate. They're both tailored to complement each other; for example, the mission we're showing in Leipzig is a Soviet mission that's halfway through the campaign. It's an island-hopping mission where one player has mostly air forces and the other player has mostly ground forces. So you'll have to use the ground forces to knock out the anti-air units on an island to let the air forces come in and clean up the rest of the area or take out any enemies that are strong against your own ground forces. So there are a lot of complementary force situations that you'll play through. In later missions -- the more base-versus-base ones or the last, or second-to-last, mission of any given campaign -- where, at that point, you've unlocked most or all of the technology tree, then you'd be in a situation where you and your buddy both have a Mobile Construction Vehicle and you both can essentially unlock and build whatever you want, and throw whatever you want against the enemy.

Click here for the full interview.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to play the campaign by my self first with an AI. So It wont be confusing when I play co-op.

Share this post


Link to post
I'm going to play the campaign by my self first with an AI. So It wont be confusing when I play co-op.

I'm not sure if the AI can be of much help in these missions.. but we shall see. :mellow:

 

This is interesting, definitely increases the replay value of the campaign imo. :nod:

Share this post


Link to post
I'm not sure if the AI can be of much help in these missions.. but we shall see. :mellow:

 

That is a disturbing question. Though multiplayer is fun, I buy my games for solo use first and foremost. If the single-player (with AI) campaign sucks, I doubt I will be very pleased with this game. So hopefully, they put some intelligence into their bots…

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×