Sign in to follow this  
Duke

Screensaver Problem

Okay so i've got this odd problem that's taken me a little while to realise. It may be something stupid i've missed but if someone could point me in the right direction or give me a pointer that'd be appreciated.

I can't get a screensaver to go, no matter whatever I try it just won't run. Neither will the turn off monitor thing under power. I'd like to figure this out as i've just got a new monitor and tend to leave my pc on a lot - would rather not wreck it.

Running XP Pro SP3

:unsure:

I'd like to figure this out as i've just got a new monitor and tend to leave my pc on a lot - would rather not wreck it.

Unless your 'new' monitor came through a time machine from the 90's, you don't really have to worry about wrecking it without a screensaver.

As to fixing it, I'd really have to see it to diagnose it, so I won't be much help.

What brand and model is your new monitor?

Have you installed in the .inf driver file for your monitor? Windows needs these files to ensure correct colour and power management.

Screen savers are executable files with a different file extension (.scr). Can you run something like C:\Windows\System32\ssText3d.scr simply by clicking on the file?

Unless your 'new' monitor came through a time machine from the 90's, you don't really have to worry about wrecking it without a screensaver.

As to fixing it, I'd really have to see it to diagnose it, so I won't be much help.

Ok. I wasn't sure lol.

What brand and model is your new monitor?

Have you installed in the .inf driver file for your monitor? Windows needs these files to ensure correct colour and power management.

Screen savers are executable files with a different file extension (.scr). Can you run something like C:\Windows\System32\ssText3d.scr simply by clicking on the file?

Dell 2208WFP. I installed all the drivers, and I can run the scr files like that. Screensavers havent worked properly even with my old monitor though so I don't think that's the problem... :unsure:

Anyone got any other ideas? Might do a reformat sometime anyway.

Could be something in the advance power management settings. Check those settings in the Control panel. As already mentioned screen savers are just novelties these days. Modern LCD panels don't need them.

Nice choice in monitor. I looked the Dell 2208WFP and others in the range but in the end I went with the LG W2252TQ. Got it last week.

w2252tq_1225875971013_l2.jpg

How is the monitor Sonic? I was looking at getting that one in the next few weeks. Am also considering the Samsung 2253BW but the place i buy from doesn't stock them anymore

Lets all hijack Duke's thread :P

How is the monitor Sonic? I was looking at getting that one in the next few weeks. Am also considering the Samsung 2253BW but the place i buy from doesn't stock them anymore

Excellent. I highly recommend it. I also considered the Samsung 2253BW, but I was told the that stand is flimsy which causes the monitor to wobble way to much. Plus I also heard that the actual LCD panel in the LG W2252TQ and Samsung 2253BW are exactly the same. The only thing I don't like about the LG W2252TQ, the annoying OSD menu sounds but thankfully they can be turned off.

Thats good to know. My only concern with the LG one is the colour quality is not quite as good. Still its likely to be the one I go with.

...As already mentioned screen savers are just novelties these days. Modern LCD panels don't need them.

Nice choice in monitor. I looked the Dell 2208WFP and others in the range but in the end I went with the LG W2252TQ. Got it last week.

Yeah i'm loving it! To be honest I didn't do *that* much research into them but I thought the dell one's looked the best! This also has some pretty nifty tilt angles, why you'd use them I don't know but fun to play with :P