rEdaSbLood

sound and power

I mis-read earlier where you'd stated you had onboard audio and not a sound card. So as I said, try getting a new sound card and see if it still does it.

Just make sure the cables arent all wrapped round one another.

They should be coming off the same socket so that you can be sure that they are all grounded the same.

You thought it was your PSU, any reasons why? or just a hunch?

just a hunch. its 650w and that isnt the original case psu. but it could be my gpu or cpu, when things load the noise changes. :unsure:

It could simply be the "noise" that results from onboard audio in general. Onboard audio has to share electronics with the rest of the board, and requires the CPU to do the audio processing. It could be a funky combination of these creating the effect.

then how would that explain that there is no noise with the way i have it set up now? (hdmi to tv) is it because its digital?

Edited by rEdaSbLood

Exactly so. The output is from the video card, not from the motherboard (even though everything before the video card is the same). The physical output is cleaner and power-isolated so there's no noise. Given this, are you gonna find a sound card, or just use the TV?

since through HDMI my tv doesnt make the noise, it is only heard when using headphones. and in terms of money its a sound i can deal with if it saves me the price of a sound card.

You could always use your headphones with your TV, if it has a headphone jack.

doesn't have one. it has a PC in with an Audio in, but using that comes along with the noise.

i have a feeling its my ATI 4870 1gb graphics card....when i play games the noise changes...

Possible you have a faulty card. Contact the build site first and if they do nothing for you, contact ATI for a replacement.

Take it out. Most motherboards come with an onboard video chipset, as well. Likely, yours would come with one.

Do you know what type of board you have? If you do, look it up, find the driver for it and then try it without the ATI hooked up. Yes, you will need to open your case to do this.

Not one X58 motherboard (that includes your P6T) has onboard video. SOL on trying something like that.

i have a feeling its my ATI 4870 1gb graphics card....when i play games the noise changes...

Not completely unexpected. As I said, onboard sound shares the same electrical traces as the rest of the board, and thus any "noise" from the traces will bleed into the audio. Stressing the graphics card with games will simply exacerbate this issue.

Bring the card and the receipt to the company for a replacement.

i am in new york, and the company is in california. again, i need to prove it is faulty before i can claim anything.

i think fiesta is right. it is most likely the on-board audio.