Gben

80 Units through customisation?

I was thinking about earlier comments of the GDI twin barrelled tank in this pic...

thumb_screen1.jpg

(This image is brought to you by the fantastic new CNCNZ Gallery link available at the top of the forums and in every post - try it peeps!)

Specifically the comments people were making about the lack of innovation by plonking a different turret on a C&C3 model, ie. Predator chassis.

It made me wonder if the insane number of units available is simply a product on interchangeable turrets and a small number of chassis? As show by the apparent anti-infantry turret placed on a predator chassis? Saracen can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was the basic design mechanic in Earth2150 series.... it's been so long since I played it. I'm guessing there will be standard/iconic units with weapon upgrades, and then some units that can be heavily customised by builing in basic chunks... chassis plus turret plus upgrade?

And so I'm wondering if it's not some much 80 different units, but 80 different permutations?

Edited by Sonic

I believe the upgrade visual looks are minor, the chassis remains but the top may be altered. I don't think you can keep the hopes too high thinking its very customizable. Most probably its limited to 3 types of upgrades to choose per unit.

heh... I'm not excited...

;)

It's just wild speculation, but if true, another disappointment.

When they say 80 units or more, I'd love to think 80 NEW AND TOTALLY DIFFERENT UNITS. Not 10 units, and 70 permutations of those 10 units. But lol, that would be an epic job for EA to make 80 odd units. :P

I don't really mind either way though.

Though I can see this game having a lot of fluff that whilst looks cool, is totally useless or there is something better. I imagine when the game releases there will probably only be a dozen or so units that people will actually build.

Earth 2150/2160, had a set of chassis that you could stick stuff on.

If the EALA designers are doing some lite mod to certain customizable units, I hope that could do more visual changes to make them more unique when compared to the original, examples, colors (extra vinyls, extra stripes, different forms of paint jobs from the original) + weapon change + extra stuffs = something decent.

For something different, they should follow the Total Annihilation strategy or releasing downloadable units... if they released a spore/style unit builder and then opened it up to the fan community and released the top unit every week/month.

Basically a skinning contest.

For something different, they should follow the Total Annihilation strategy or releasing downloadable units... if they released a spore/style unit builder and then opened it up to the fan community and released the top unit every week/month.

Basically a skinning contest.

That is an excellent idea but I doubt EALA dev team would have the time and effort to do that, unfortunately. :(

80 customizable units would be fantastic!

Remember Zero Hour? As far as I remember they had more units per side than any other CNC game. I want to be able to select my 'own' combo of units, it makes it more fun! And more strategic! Sure balance changes are harder but who cares? I want to have fun!

Even if they have minor gun changes, armour upgrades, and specials, that'd be sick!

Great mods that will work/worked well with custom units and/or infantry:

'Propaganda'-like towers (heal stuff around them, creates fervor bonus etc.)

Extra Rocket (able to hit air, or extra firepower)

Armour Upgrade

Recon Upgrade (extends range of weapon)

Extra Barrel (double firepower)

Radar Jammer

Stealth Generator

Energy Shields

Mortar Cannon

Laser Targeting (increase accuracy- more damage)

Anti aircraft or anti infantry machine gun

Treads (for mines, or decrease in damage inflicted from mines)

Bayonet

Binoculars or Satellite shroud reveal

Armour piercing rounds

EMP pulse

Camouflage Upgrade

Repair vehicle upgrade (the unit becomes able to repair itself and others in need around it, individually of course)

loads more, cant think of em all :P

Units/structures needed:

-a bloody APC for all sides (that you can shoot out of) that doesn't deploy into an unmovable, pathetic structure!!!!!!!! Reckoners suck! Worst unit ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mine layers! Remember them? Fantastic!

-some form of sniper/s for all sides, no fair if one side has em, there would be no infantry contest :P

-camou pillboxes/turrets, great and realistic. Garrisonable, like a small infantry outpost :P I mean come on this is a battlefield!

-more civilians, objects, cows ;), churches ;), bridges, rivers (that you can splash through or have to go around) , trees, good waves and graphics in the waters!

Things I would like to see in ALL future CNC strategy games:

-repairable occupied neutral/garrisonable structures! The building is in your control, why not be able to repair it? Or atleast if an engineer was garrisoned in it, he would make the building repairable! like come on! and make the buildings stronger like in the old days!

-Paratrooping for all! :) select which units you want to drop, plane picks em up, or they go to the airfield and a plane takes off with them inside, you can control the plane once it takes off and until they parachute out! Brilliant! I wanna work for EA as an ideas man :P

-Various kinds of obstructions. walls, fences, etc. not only does it slow the enemy down and that not only shoot over with volleying projectiles (mortars, missiles, artillery, etc) but you can build a slick looking base ;)

-Some form of environmental manipulation: nothing stupid like tornadoes or anything. but something that can be destroyed in order to hurt the opponents structures or units. like a large building gets destroyed, it falls and crushes your units/buildings (if it happens to fall that way, depending on the side hit). or landslides, you force fire, or bomb a hill or cliff, even accidentally and it starts a slide of earth that destroys buildings/units. nothing too catastrophic but I think it would be a gorgeous and unique affect!

Specials specials specials! the more the better! makes it a lot more fun!

-carpet bombs, paramines, toxic corrosion, EMP, etc.

Climate/vegetation changes. In the maps. be nice to fight in a desert, grassland, jungle, dense forest, beach, or a snowy plain again! Red Alert 2 anyone?

What you guys think? I have loads more ideas as I'm sure we all do but I think if they added some of these suggestions it would make CNC even more fun and draw even more people to it! :)

P.S. These aren't necessarily new ideas or anything, just my compilation of some of them :)

I'll prob start a new post on this :P

Peace! ^_^

EMP pulse

Electromagnetic pulse pulse? :P

Anyway, nice list, I like quantity too.

Great list there new guy. Really appreciate your effort for listing those down. I am hoping to see real modeled civilians (not some background or walk through effect stuff) running around like classic techicians really fast when they see your units or something in battle. Definitely miss the good ol' days where you pop out churches for money crates.

I dont think Earth 2150 gameplay would really fit in with the Command and Conquer universe, it just wouldn't feel right.