Sign in to follow this  
F15pilotX

New Speakers

Right now, I have the Bose Companion 2 Series speakers.

Pic, for Malevolence:

12325299211m.jpg

I was thinking of selling those, and getting the Companion 3 series for the bass, but was wonder if y'all had any thoughts/suggestions on a set that might be better for around the same price. So far I've had a great experience with Bose so I have no particular reason to want to change, but if I can get better speakers for the same price, that would be sweet.

Companion 3 Series, for comparison:

bose.jpg

Edited by F15pilotX

tbh the satellites look way too small compared to the sub on that, there is such thing as too much bass...

How much is that?

Edited by BioBen

There is NO such thing as TOO MUCH BASS!

I'd always get a sub with two speakers, gives the sound more omph. :)

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing with that just get bigger left and rights.

These are what I have atm:

e3300-800.jpg

There is NO such thing as TOO MUCH BASS!

When resonance waves start to disintegrate the rest of your house, you have too much bass.

Guest Stevie_K

I think BOSE is generally overpriced compared to what you get. I mean, they cost more than twice as much as an all right Creative or Logitech computer speaker set, but I really don't think they are more than twice as good.

I'f you really are to get good quality speakers, I recommend you find your local Hi-Fi store and find yourself a good Yamaha system or something in that line. If you just want sound and aren't really into the quality, I recommend you find something a bit cheaper.

I don't know how the prices are in Australia, US and what not.

big speakers like these are not that important to me I don't even use my own ones, Head phones are better to me..

tbh the satellites look way too small compared to the sub on that, there is such thing as too much bass...
The satellites are the same size as the actual speaker on the companion 2's as well, but the C2s have to make bass in the same speaker so they're bigger individually.

I'll check out Logitech, since y'all seem to all like them. My mouse/keyboard/headphones are logitech as well, so why not complete the collection eh? :P

big speakers like these are not that important to me I don't even use my own ones, Head phones are better to me..

I always wear headphones when playing FPS and other "action oriented" games. But for everything else, specially music speakers all the way.

I've always been favourable to Altec Lansing when it comes to purchase a speaker system for a PC.

I have had the Altec Lansing PC Music 221, 2.1 Speaker System, 20W RMS, 2x4.36W Satellites, 10.5W Sub Woofer for about 5 years now. Massive bass, crisp sound from the satellites.... never had problems with them. With that said, most of the time they are switched off though.

alteclansing2211985686.jpg

One thing you should consider is what your speakers will be connected to. There is no point in shelling out for some really expensive speakers and connecting them to a low quality sound card (or some crap onboard motherboard sound).

tbh most onboards on modern builds these days are perfectly capable of pumping out 44100 sample rate which is perfectly fine for listening to music, games and movies etc. You only need the higher specs for using silly DAWs (like Logic and Ableton) and other music and video production thingy-ma-whosits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16836127010

Those. I hear nothing but amazing things about the AV-30 and AV-40.

Oh, and honestly, don't go Bose again if you can help it. Their headphones are horrible for the money and their speakers are just re-hashed Philips units with redesigned casings; the provided bass isn't even that great.

Edited by Fiesta

Why get monitors if you are doing anything other than audio/AV production. A tad expensive yes.

I've always been favourable to Altec Lansing when it comes to purchase a speaker system for a PC.

I have had the Altec Lansing PC Music 221, 2.1 Speaker System, 20W RMS, 2x4.36W Satellites, 10.5W Sub Woofer for about 5 years now. Massive bass, crisp sound from the satellites.... never had problems with them. With that said, most of the time they are switched off though.

One thing you should consider is what your speakers will be connected to. There is no point in shelling out for some really expensive speakers and connecting them to a low quality sound card (or some crap onboard motherboard sound).

How are those in the mid-range, Sonic? To be honest, I'm more worried about the mids than the highs or lows - for some reason almost all speaker systems seem to have trouble making the mids sound really nice.