Sign in to follow this  
Fjomp

Question about unit names and portraits.

Heya. I've just downloaded Tiberian Dawn from EA's website, and after a lot of tinkering under the hood of my 64-bit Windows 7 OS, as well as installing your patch, I finally got it to work with functioning live-action cutscenes and not too many graphical glitches. But I noticed something weird. I remember when I first played the game ages ago, GDI was able to produce a unit called "Rifleman", or somesuch, from the Barracks-menu. The Unit Portrait would be that of a man in desert-camouflage. But here, I see the "Rifleman" -unit appears to be replaced with something called a "Minigunner", with the Unit Portrait being a still photograph of a man in coal-gray/black camouflage. What's this? Is this some bizarre bug that I should know about, or have I somehow installed a mod without being aware of it? :huh: Please reply. I'm confused.

Edited by Fjomp

You're confusing with Red Alert 1. C&C1 always had minigunners.

C&C1:

e1icnh.gif

RA1:

e1icon.gif

The only RA1 thing my patch adds to the game is the Snow theater. So no riflemen, no matter how retarded the idea of a soldier carrying a minigun may be :P

You're confusing with Red Alert 1. C&C1 always had minigunners.

C&C1:

e1icnh.gif

RA1:

e1icon.gif

The only RA1 thing my patch adds to the game is the Snow theater. So no riflemen, no matter how retarded the idea of a soldier carrying a minigun may be :P

Aaaah. Thanks for clearing that up. I most certainly confuse it with Red Alert. I had both games a long, long time ago. It's also interesting to note that the soldier in the Minigunner-portrait does not actually carry a minigun...

Quick question: Does both NOD and GDI use Minigunners? :huh:

Edited by Fjomp

Yes... the first games didn't use separate types of basic infantry; any unit with the same function is simply the same for both sides. Same for the engineer, bazooka, commando, harvester and MCV.

And the manual states they carry M16s. Further research of the weapon behaviour shows it's an M16A2, because that one has the three-round burst setting you see the units use in the game.

Incidentally, the M16 is also the shape you see at the left side of the game's box image.

head.jpg

Do note that the rifle in the icon isn't actually an M16. The C&C95 icons were made a long time after the actual game (since C&C95 is the 1997 Win95 port of the 1995 DOS game), and apparently they didn't have an M16 prop for the icon. The gun you see on the icon is a "Calico Liberty 100" 9mm rifle.

Large version of the photo used by the icon (background and colour were added by me; the C&C95 manual contains this photo in greyscale without background)

E1.jpg

Calico Liberty 9mm rifle:

calicoliberty9mm.jpg

The first games didn't use separate types of basic infantry; any unit with the same function is simply the same for both sides. Same for the engineer, bazooka, commando, harvester and MCV.

I see. It's been such a long time since I've played the first games on my old Playstation that I confuse things. In fact, I had borrowed the game from a classmate, and didn't even have the NOD CD, as far as I remember. Thanks for your replies, too. They've been very informative.

But the units do have different stats, though? From playing the first four or five GDI-missions, it does look a bit like the NOD Minigunners are somewhat less robust than their GDI equivalents (although presumably cheaper?), unless I'm just imagining things...

Edited by Fjomp

it does look a bit like the NOD Minigunners are somewhat less robust than their GDI equivalents

That would explain why they did that in Renegade...

The only side-specific exceptions on double-owned units and structures are the mission numbers on which each side can build them... and that's just done to compensate the fact GDI has a longer campaign; to spread them out evenly on both campaigns. There are no exceptions related to their strength.

Their survival depends a LOT on how they are micromanaged though.

There are no exceptions related to their strength.

Then the explanation is forfeit...

lol, shut up. Renegade is totally irrelevant to this. They were "enemy goons to slaughter", that's all the explanation you need :P

lol, shut up. Renegade is totally irrelevant to this. They were "enemy goons to slaughter", that's all the explanation you need :P

How about make me? :P

Renegade was based on C&C1 and I'm talking about the multiplayer mode. The basic GDI infantry unit does about 40% more damage than the Nod ones.

I suppose since they were using so-called "Raptor Auto Rifles" and not miniguns, M16s, or Calico Liberties, that gives them an excuse...

Forgive me for intrusion, but why is this topic in the Command and Patch subforum instead of the Command and Conquer/Covert Operations section in Command And Conquer Universe subforum?

Because he thought that the fact they were called "minigunners" was related to installing my patch.