wkw427

How to run under windows 7?

I only have TFD disk, and I fancy playing some CNC and RA1.

I've managed to figure out how get CNC working with the gold patch I've gotten from here, however RA doesn't work so well. The game plays, however the FMVs are extremely distorted and buggy

Is there any way to fix this, or am I going to have to burn the freeware .isos and reinstall 98 on my 30lb Pentium3 (which may not work as I cant find graphic drivers for the gpu)

Alright, after a bunch of mucking about, both seem to work with TFD1.03r4 and with ddraw.dll added to the folders, with one exception.

The extra missions in CNC, when you are shown a popup with the summery, is off centered and unreadable.

I have two more patches, one ra303patch.exe and cc95v106c_r1.exe

Are these needed if I can run the game?

Also a question

What all is needed to play either of the games online?

Edited by wkw427

I have two more patches, one ra303patch.exe and cc95v106c_r1.exe

Are these needed if I can run the game?

C&C 1.06c1 is necessary, but RA 3.03 is already included in the TFD 1.03 patch. After you applied the patches, you don't really need their EXE files unless you want to keep them just in case.

What all is needed to play either of the games online?

You can either choose a long process of registering to the XWIS online server, or you can download a handy little program called CnCNet that requires no email verifications or any similar process, and has its own server.

I tried installing cncnet with the TFD patch, and whenever I tried to start it displayed an error along the lines of can't find server or something.

Nevermind. I just put wsock32 in the folder and RA1 works.

Lovely

I'm going to have to burn all these programs and instructions to a CD

I have one last question

Is there any way to make the game screen larger? Playing at 1024x768 on a 1920x1080 screen.. everything is so small

For C&C1? Go to CCSetup.exe in the folder where you installed TFD and choose 640x480 (however, the saved games you made while playing at 1024x768 will NOT work).

Ahhh everything is working lovely! Thank you so much for your help. Its amazing to see so much fan support for games that are almost 15 years old.

One more thing, is there anything that can be done to make the cutscenes look better? They all have strange lines going through them.

I would think not because I remember them looking like this when I played the games ages ago

That's normal. You probably couldn't see the lines before because today's LCD monitors give a much clearer image than old CRT ones.

cnc-ddraw doesn't remove the interlacing though. I posted a hack to remove it, but I'm not sure where.

[edit]

Found it.

cnc-ddraw does NOT remove the lines in videos. These lines are simply how Westwood decided to stretch the DOS 320x200 videos to 640x400 for the Windows version. But it fixes a load of other problems related to compatibility, colour errors, and scroll speed.

The only setting you'll normally want to tweak is disabling its default setting of running the game in windowed mode. You might also look into applying the fix on the site that prevents the mouse cursor from disappearing when using cnc-ddraw on RA.

If you know how to use a hex editor, you can remove the black lines in the videos using the instructions in the post I linked to.

If you are using the english RA 3.03 version, you can use the zip I uploaded in February. You don't have to have The Lost Files (TLF) installed.

Open the included magic.dll.inj in a text editor and add those lines at the bottom:

5B30D0 = DisplayClass_DrawContent, 5
5E5411 = DisplayClass_DrawContentAntialiased_A, 6
5E547C = DisplayClass_DrawContentAntialiased_B, 6

If you run magic.bat instead of the original game exe, the game will have all videos and all other contents with black lines deinterlaced. Because interest was generally low, I didn't update it yet and thus the file is quite outdated by now, but it should be stable and working. It is compatible with Hifi's ddraw.dll, but not with the hi-res launcher.

If you are using the english RA 3.03 version, you can use the zip I uploaded in February. You don't have to have The Lost Files (TLF) installed.

Open the included magic.dll.inj in a text editor and add those lines at the bottom:

5B30D0 = DisplayClass_DrawContent, 5
5E5411 = DisplayClass_DrawContentAntialiased_A, 6
5E547C = DisplayClass_DrawContentAntialiased_B, 6

If you run magic.bat instead of the original game exe, the game will have all videos and all other contents with black lines deinterlaced. Because interest was generally low, I didn't update it yet and thus the file is quite outdated by now, but it should be stable and working. It is compatible with Hifi's ddraw.dll, but not with the hi-res launcher.

Didn't seem to work, so I removed those files.

Now, menus are transparent and its really hard to use menus when you have to go through more then one, because previous ones don't clear >.<

Fixed it.

Is there an editor for Red Alert similar to cncedit?

Edited by wkw427

Didn't seem to work, so I removed those files.

Now, menus are transparent and its really hard to use menus when you have to go through more then one, because previous ones don't clear >.<

Fixed it.

Is there an editor for Red Alert similar to cncedit?

Yes, Edit Rules.ini