Sign in to follow this  
Sonarpulse

Too many *.mix files

From an old attempt to copy the movies from my TD CDs, and I don't even know what else, I have over 45 *.mix files in my TD folder. If somebody could tell me which ones I actually need, that would be great. I have plenty of space on my hard drive, but I don't want overwrite anything v1.06Cr2 fixed, etc. Just to be clear this isn't something Nyer's installer caused, or any other bug.

List of mix files:

cclocal.mix

conquer.mix

deseicnh.mix

deseifre.mix

deseiger.mix

desert.mix

general.mix

sc-000.mix

sc-001.mix

sc-gcmaps.mix

sc-n64.mix

sc-psx.mix

sc-spec.mix

scmapsn3.mix

scores.mix

snow.mix

snowicnh.mix

snowifre.mix

snowiger.mix

sounds.mix

speecfre.mix

speecger.mix

speech.mix

speecjap.mix

talkeng.mix

talkfre.mix

talkger.mix

talkjap.mix

temperat.mix

tempicnh.mix

tempifre.mix

tempiger.mix

transit.mix

updata.mix

update.mix

update02.mix

updatec.mix

updtremv.mix

winter.mix

winticnh.mix

wintifre.mix

wintiger.mix

zounds.mix

Edited by Sonarpulse

The huge amount of mixfiles is mostly due to the combination of me adding a new theater (Snow) and adding the French and German languages (since each theater requires its own icons mixfiles, one for each language). Well, and the fact that, for that language adding, I wisely separated unit speech from the general sounds.mix into its own talk*.mix files, but that technically only adds one extra item, namely the original (now sound effects only) sounds.mix, since I'd need a separate archive for each voice set no matter how I did that.

Anyway... only three of these aren't part of the game. I indicated which ones:

cclocal.mix - game fonts and basic language files

conquer.mix - Unit and building graphics

deseicnh.mix - Desert icons (English)

deseifre.mix - Desert icons (French)

deseiger.mix - Desert icons (German)

desert.mix - Desert theater

general.mix - Campaign missions

sc-000.mix - Dinosaur missions

sc-001.mix - Covert Operations missions

* sc-gcmaps.mix - Some map pack?

sc-n64.mix - N64 Special Ops missions

sc-psx.mix - Playstation Special Ops missions

* sc-spec.mix - Could be an old version of the PSX SpecOps missions. If so, best delete it.

* scmapsn3.mix - N3tRunn3r's map pack

scores.mix - Game music

snow.mix - Snow theater

snowicnh.mix - Snow icons (English)

snowifre.mix - Snow icons (French)

snowiger.mix - Snow icons (German)

sounds.mix - Game sounds

speecfre.mix - EVA voices (French)

speecger.mix - EVA voices (German)

speech.mix - EVA voices (English)

speecjap.mix - EVA voices (Japanese)

talkeng.mix - Unit voices (English)

talkfre.mix - Unit voices (French)

talkger.mix - Unit voices (German)

talkjap.mix - Unit voices (Japanese)

temperat.mix - Temperate theater

tempicnh.mix - Temperate icons (English)

tempifre.mix - Temperate icons (French)

tempiger.mix - Temperate icons (German)

transit.mix - Campaign side choice animations and sounds, and score and map music

updata.mix - 1.06c update of fonts and map selection screens, and hi-res title screens.

update.mix - C&C95-specific fonts and all .vqp tables used for stretching videos [*]

update02.mix - 1.06c update of added music (remixes and the credits theme)

updatec.mix - C&C95 GUI graphics, and the v1.06c inbuilt language definition files

updtremv.mix - Fix for the fact the Hospital could be sold [**]

winter.mix - Winter theater

winticnh.mix - Winter icons (English)

wintifre.mix - Winter icons (French)

wintiger.mix - Winter icons (German)

zounds.mix - Beta sounds; can be activated in rules.ini (damn, forgot to migrate that setting back to conquer.ini)

[*]: Update.mix is the only mixfile vital to the game that is not updated by patch 1.06, mostly due to its huge size (10 mb) and the fact the few files in it that needed updating (the fonts) being overridable through the use of updata.mix (earlier in the alphabet - general rule is that contents of mixfiles that are read first get highest priority)

[**]: updtr*.mix files are special; any files added in them are registered but not read, effectively preventing the game from reading the real versions, or; in other words, "deleting" these files as far as the game's concerned. I used this to remove the build-up animation of the Hospital, making it unsellable as it should be (and as it was in DOS C&C).

Sweet, that is quite the list. Guess I will delete sc-gcmaps.mix and sc-spec.mix, better safe than sorry. I know at least sc-spec probably go there when I was copying MIXs from the covert ops CD, remember there being a couple of new things from there. sc-gcmaps.mix looks like some other mappack then. Thanks so much, Nyerguds.

From the name, it might be Godly-Cheese's map pack :P

You can always check what's inside them with XCC, you know.

btw, there is no "sc-spec.mix" anywhere in the original files; you must've downloaded that yourself. The only extra mixfile you could have from copying stuff from CDs (from the CovOps one, more specifically) is "local.mix", the DOS C&C version of "cclocal.mix".

Let us see what is inside sc-spec.mix ...

Okay... though I doubt it will be anything interesting. sc-spec.mix & sc-gcmaps.mix both contains maps only. spec has 6 missions, and gc-maps has some 6-player maps. MysteryMaps.rar

Exactly as I thought. An outdated version of the PSX Special Ops (without the 1.06c laser orca option in the patsux one), and Godly Cheese's multiplayer map pack.