Sign in to follow this  
thinktt

Music for Nyerguds old C&C Dos Pack

I recently downloaded Nyerguds old C&C TD three language Dos pack, made way back in 2005 and have been playing it in Dos Box. I know everyone has switched focus to working on the C&C Gold version but I'm enjoying playing the old dos version.

My question concerns getting all the music to work. The Nyerguds dos pack does not come with music although it has two songs in it's playlist.

I've seen that when I drop in the scores.mix from any other version of the game (I've tried all my old C&C disk and the Gold 1.06 scores.mix file) it simply says "unable to load scores.mix" when I start the game in Dos Box. The only one it will read is the scores.mix that comes with the three language dos pack.

I have figured out how to edit that scores.mix file so that it has the two songs in the playlist and they will play. However I can't figure out how to change the playlist itself so I can add more songs. Is this data that's inside the executable itself?

I've scoured all over the place for a solution to this problem, and found a few people with the same issue that didn't ever seem to find a fix.

I figures I would post on the forum here and see if I could ask the man himself (Nyerguds) if he could point me in the right direction for fixing this? I would really appreciate it. Either way thanks for keeping C&C TD alive :):ts:

Drop it in the media subfolder ;)

scores.mix conflicts with the sc*.mix addon system in DOS C&C. The solution, as Tore said, is to use the subfolder the game uses as CD, which I set to "media" in that pack.

As far as I know, though, I included a readme with that pack, which has a section 4.2 called "Music and movies", which tells you exactly how and where to add media. AND the "media" subfolder of the pack has an "add_media_here.txt" file in it, which, when opening it, says "If you have an original (or full) movies.mix and/or scores.mix, add it in this directory."

So, yeah. All I can say here is, RTFM, people -_-

By the way, both the scores.mix and the full videos pack can be downloaded here, in the media subfolder of where I originally uploaded that 3-language dos C&C pack.

I had a different version of the pack, apparently, because it didn't have the media subfolder. It was one I downloaded from some site called dosgamearchive.com. When I added the folder it wasn't working. I just downloaded the game again from your link and it works perfectly.

Oh and in my defense, I did read the readthis.txt but it only mentions adding music from the demo. I also googled and read bunches of forum post before I signed up here to ask my question.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ah. Well if people distribute old versions of my pack, that's hardly my fault :-\

Anyway, glad I could help. Gotta love that old DOS C&C :)

I had a different version of the pack, apparently, because it didn't have the media subfolder. It was one I downloaded from some site called dosgamearchive.com. When I added the folder it wasn't working. I just downloaded the game again from your link and it works perfectly.

Hmm, if you meant DOS Games Archive, it only has the downloadable playable demo from Westwood.

Just for the record, last time I checked, that website you've linked to offered for free quite a few games that are still sold (either directly from the publishers or via GOG.com or similar services), including some classic Apogee titles, - that despite claiming that they only have games which are no longer sold and are thus "abandonware". Now it seems that they have gathered their wits and weeded out illegal content (or, at least, the most glaring specimens).