Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Recent Status Updates are not for Discussing Topics

Please note the Recent Status Updates feature of the forums is not for you to discuss topics. For instance, one of the latest update shows people talking about the Olympic Games. Such topics can be discussed in an actual thread in the appropriate forum.

So to clarify, the Recent Status Updates feature is not....

• For the discussion of topics
  • Not a chat room
  • Not a shout box

It for meant for updates on your status only. From now on, anything that looks like a discussion in the Recent Status Updates feature will be deleted.

Sooo.... what can we put in there....? Define "status update".

• Upvote 1

To be honest I'm not really sure. Its one of those forum features that is considered "optional". I'm just tired of seeing general topics about news events being posted in the Status Updates area, because I feel it distracts from the main forums. Why couldn't it be posted as a new thread in the appropriate forum?

Lately its been looking like a mini-general discussion forum.... when guess what we already have one.

I'd say if the status update has nothing to do with the person posting it, it's not a status update.

Yeah its a status update about you, what your currently doing. Its kind of a Facebook/Twitter thing. Or at least I think that was the intention of IPB when they created it. Before the change to IPB3 they used be the comments on user profiles.

Some people are too lazy to make another general topic in a thread when it's somewhat trivial.

Maybe, Sonic, you would have posted this earlier when status update posts were first being put into this forum so we'll know.

• Upvote 1

I always saw it as some where to post trivial stuff that isn't worthy of its own thread.

Once again I'm forced to remind you all that the Recent Status Updates feature is not for discussion topics. If you have something start a thread for it in the right forum. I'm tired of this.

Of the most recent updates posted, these are not what is considered a "status update".

If this continues the Recent Status Updates will be turned off.

Then turn them off. We use it for things that only last a day or two, unburdening the forums

Those all look like status updates to me, they all apply to the person who posted them. AZ-Stalker is talking about his interest in games, zocom7 is talking about the weather he is experiencing, and I am talking about my disappointment in C&C2013.

All three of these are about us. What do you expect? We can only say what we just ate for breakfast, or we just had an awesome bowel movement?

I think my assessment of what they are for is fair; it is only a problem if it has nothing to do with the person posting it.

• Upvote 3

Guest Rabbit

I've gotta agree. There are some things that don't merit an entire thread, because they are simple thoughts with simple content, even if it is about current events.

A personal status is exactly that, something that is an individual status of one person. So unless we are only allowed to post facebook style postings, I don't see the problem with what people have been posting.

Fine then, post whatever the hell you want... I give up. There are **** all new threads being posted at all, the forums appear dead. But go right ahead and keep posting random **** there that can go in an actual thread.

I think you are blowing this a little out of proportion, Sonic... Out of those three updates:

AZ-Stalker's could maybe be topic-worthy, though it may also die after two replies.

As for zocom's, while we have had weather threads before, they've all be as boring as... well... talking about the weather.

And mine is pretty much already in a half-dozen new threads.

I said I don't care, so I'm not going to continue this.

I'd rather have the forums dead than have topics of **** quality. Keep the useless stuff in the shoutbox, where it's supposed to be.

Clearly people don't or can't read. Its not a shout box. See the first post in this thread.

Clearly people don't or can't read. Its not a shout box. See the first post in this thread.

I can read, I just made a ****ing mistake.