Sign in to follow this  
Plok

PC decides to sing the song of its people

This happened to me a few minutes ago while turning my PC on. The second I pressed the power button, it did the following:

1) start the fan

2) do a rotation in the DVD drive

3) make a sound similar to some sort of a brake

4) be deactivated for 2 seconds

5) repeat 20-25 times

6) start normally

Sometimes, this would only occur once, but this time it really frightened me. What gives?

Guest Rabbit

My guess is an issue with the motherboard. When the motherboard is going, the computer can start doing some funky things. You might have to get a new one soon, if someone else agrees with me.

As an example of personal experience, while playing some online game many years ago, I randomly had packet loss, my computer stopped connecting to the internet, a random beeping started and stopped randomly, and ultimately, the computer decided not to start once I powered it down. Sure enough, the motherboard was fried.

Open case, disconnect and remove everything from motherboard, reconnect everything, try it again. Clear out static and reseat all connections. Try that first.

I'll give it a try once I find time.

And DD, there's no need to copy what you told me on Skype.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

I think it is issue with AC. Try another one.

Just a small update: upon starting it this morning, it only did the crazy run twice. I'm cleaning it from the inside this afternoon.

You could try disconnecting your DVD drive from the rest of the PC and see what happens. Same with any other non-essential component.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

Actually, I do have issues with my DVD burner (and my previous one) as well. Sometimes it would declare an error while burning (though it may have something to do with disc brands, among which is Traxdata) so the disc would become useless. I also unplugged the CD-R drive below it, still the same.

I'd say its your PSU. The DVD drive problems sound completely unrelated to me.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I've vacuumed the inside of the PC (didn't do it for 4 months) and checked if the PSU was properly plugged in. Result: no crazy run this time. I'll inform you if it returns.

Unfortunately, yesterday it started normally one time and irregularly the other.

Have you disconnected and reconnected everything like I told you to do? If you have, or even if you haven't, yank the power cord out of the power supply and hold the power button down for 30 to 40 seconds. That will discharge the capacitors and, hopefully, clear any lingering static that might be present.

Epilogue to this story:

My PC just refused to start up two days ago. It would only make a second-long blink with the power and CPU lamps in the front, and it would turn off immediately. Repeat until bored. We took it to our IT expert to inspect it. It turns out the PSU went to the other world like Sonic said. It was apparently caused by the maybe improper ventilation system. So we got a new PSU and ventilation. He also stated that the graphics card should perform somewhat better and that all other components are in great shape.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Edited by Plokite_Wolf