Sign in to follow this  
MrFlibble

Large blue Tiberium crystal in the TS demo

Rather recently I've been playing around with the Tiberian Sun demo, and I noticed that the second mission has a large blue Tiberium crystal - something I had always thought had never been used in vanilla TS (even though the graphics are still in the data files):

tiberiumbluecrystal.png

I've checked if blue Tiberium grows around the crystal, as it does in Firestorm, but apparently it does not:

veinholemonster.png

What I'm interested in is, does the large blue crystal actually appear in any official vanilla map, or is it a demo-exclusive thing that then got recycled in the expansion?

On another note, in the first demo mission, the player's infantry are able to get into friendly civilian cars, for no apparent purpose (they can't hijack the cars and drive them, just get inside). I don't remember if same is possible in the full version.

I don't remember the blue ones being present in TS, just FS. And as for the hiding inside cars, I've never been able to do that in any official TS version/release. But I've also never played the demo.

What I'm interested in is, does the large blue crystal actually appear in any official vanilla map, or is it a demo-exclusive thing that then got recycled in the expansion?

Also note that the TS demo was released in late December 1999, after the initial release and halfway through Firestorm's development cycle. Maybe they wanted to experiment?

Maybe, but IIRC the large blue crystal graphics are present in the vanilla data files anyway, it's just they didn't use this object for whatever reason in the game.

It's also kind of odd that the crystal is mostly obscured by a cliff in the demo.

They probably hid it there for the sole purpose of having dedicated fans discover it and speculate as to its reason for being there.

They probably hid it there for the sole purpose of having dedicated fans discover it and speculate as to its reason for being there.

I'm not sure if you're joking lightheartedly or suggesting that the entire topic is not worth of discussion?

It is a joke, but also possibly true. Maybe that is the real reason they put it there, a sort of fan service the casual player wouldn't even notice.

• Upvote 1