Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Non-Middle Eastern GLA Generals Explained

Polygon.com has posted a short article focused on the appearances of the new GLA generals in the new Command & Conquer, for which they have invited Tim Morton to comment. As you are probably aware by now, GLA is no longer based narrowly in the Middle East. Here is an excerpt from the article:

IxjPrLp.jpg

"This is actually a pretty big change for the game," he said. "Anyone who knows this series will know the Global Liberation Army. But at the studio we had a bad reaction from people saying it was pretty offensive to have Middle-Eastern characters as militants."

(...)
The new GLA will include five generals of different backgrounds. "Now we'll probably just offend everybody," he laughed.

According to Morten, the studio has also made a change to the design of workers in the game. Previously in-game workers would ask for shoes when clicked on, now in the new release they will finally get them.

Click here to see the rest.

Previously in-game workers would ask for shoes when clicked on, now in the new release they will finally get them.

They already got new shoes in Zero Hour...

Guest Stevie_K

They already got new shoes in Zero Hour...

I don't think Morten played it. Let's just pretend we forgot so it's less awkward. Wait..

Hey EA, you know what I find offensive?

That the only Black General thus far is an obvious walking talking African Warlord stereotype.

I won't even begin to mention what "offended" (read: pissed) me in C&C so far...

I'm also offended there isn't a homosexual General.

Why are EA so racist AND homophobic? :( :( :(

^_^

• Downvote 1

Including the APA so the eastern block isn't stereotype'd and modifing the GLA so it isn't middle-eastern... but ofcourse, they just had to place a big "good guy capitalists - we'll save the world" faction called the EU. Why not call it the European Coalition or something at least slightly more fictional? But noooo, the EU are the good guys, same crap as portraying the US as the world's only hope for salvation in almost every other game. Stereotypes and propaganda - almost avoided, but no.

This makes me a little sick to be honest.

• Upvote 1

I'm also offended there isn't a homosexual General.

Who knows... who knows...

BrrWLtnNsAk.jpg

Edited by Existor

Guest Rabbit

Including the APA so the eastern block isn't stereotype'd

The only reason for the APA is because China banned the first Generals game. They made the name (and faction) more broad specifically so it wouldn't look chinese only.

A heart-shaped "colorful" badge? Interesting...

For the record, it seems his badge shows the red colour at the bottom, making it a fragment of the peace flag. The gay flag is red first.

Who knows... who knows...

I just noticed the multicoloured heart on his top hahah. :D