Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

The Ultimate Free-to-Play PC Games List

Recommended Posts

OneWingedAngel (or OWA for short), let me clarify one thing. Neither RA APB nor TSR are complete games and neither of them have single-player modes unless there are skirmish battles to play with.

I might consider adding Twisted Insurrection and DTA one day since they are getting constant updates.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

Neither RA APB nor TSR are complete games and neither of them have single-player modes unless there are skirmish battles to play with.

Now you're going to a completely wrong track, as there are (gasp!!!) multiplayer-only games out there. On Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live, no less!!

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

OneWingedAngel (or OWA for short), let me clarify one thing. Neither RA APB nor TSR are complete games and neither of them have single-player modes unless there are skirmish battles to play with.

I might consider adding Twisted Insurrection and DTA one day since they are getting constant updates.

That's not stated in the criteria on the first post of this thread. Both APB and TSR feature a Skirmish mode, just as Renegade has MP Practise.

What's your definition of a "complete" game? Renegade X is on the list, but has near enough the same feature set that APB and TSR have. (The Black Dawn singleplayer shouldn't count because it's not part of the main game build and you need to download an entirely different client to play it).

TI and DTA deserve to be on the list for sure, especially when games like Envirobear are on there. :v

Share this post


Link to post

Updated the first post once again for formatting and adding some new games into the list.

Share this post


Link to post

I still don't get why there needs to be a separate list for game that are multiplayer only w/skirmish. Renegade X, Unreal Tournament 4, World of Padman and others in your list are multiplayer only w/skirmish as well, so it's pretty inconsistently categorised.

Share this post


Link to post

Just for a heads up, any free game that contains adult content (ie. pornography) will NOT be included in the free games list. Even PC Gamer mentioned one of this: http://www.pcgamer.com/you-must-be-18-or-older-to-enter-banned-from-steam-over-pornographic-ascii-art/

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Share this post


Link to post
On 12.12.2017 at 7:50 AM, PurpleGaga27 said:

Just for a heads up, any free game that contains adult content (ie. pornography) will NOT be included in the free games list. Even PC Gamer mentioned one of this: http://www.pcgamer.com/you-must-be-18-or-older-to-enter-banned-from-steam-over-pornographic-ascii-art/

That game sounds like some more or less serious social commentary than pornography. Also, the term itself requires definition. Both Wikipedia and the Cambridge Dictionary agree that pornography is intended for sexual arousal and not for aesthetic experience (as opposed to erotic art). How is this to be judged for games? E.g. there's plenty of nudity in Daggerfall and there are sexual themes and there's some explicit descriptions in some of the in-game books (Dwemer on Khajit anyone?). Do you consider this game pornographic? Is it going off your list?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

That game sounds like some more or less serious social commentary than pornography. Also, the term itself requires definition. Both Wikipedia and the Cambridge Dictionary agree that pornography is intended for sexual arousal and not for aesthetic experience (as opposed to erotic art). How is this to be judged for games? E.g. there's plenty of nudity in Daggerfall and there are sexual themes and there's some explicit descriptions in some of the in-game books (Dwemer on Khajit anyone?). Do you consider this game pornographic? Is it going off your list?

Yes. Any free game with real pure nudity and/or explicit sexual content is excluded from the free-to-play list.

Share this post


Link to post

I just wanted to point out that It Came from the Desert and other Cinemaware games are apparently no longer distributed for free - at least, the Cinemaware site no longer has the downloads, and they are sold in a bundle at Steam - and realised that your link does not point to the Cinemaware site but to the Gamefabrique, which is basically a pirate site that at least previously tried to pass of console ROMs of old games bundled with emulators as "remakes" of said games, and now appears to just simply distribute these ROMs + emulators having dropped the entire "remake" ruse. I'd very much recommend removing any and all links to that sorry pretence of a retro gaming website. (Just my opinion though.)

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I just wanted to point out that It Came from the Desert and other Cinemaware games are apparently no longer distributed for free - at least, the Cinemaware site no longer has the downloads, and they are sold in a bundle at Steam - and realised that your link does not point to the Cinemaware site but to the Gamefabrique, which is basically a pirate site that at least previously tried to pass of console ROMs of old games bundled with emulators as "remakes" of said games, and now appears to just simply distribute these ROMs + emulators having dropped the entire "remake" ruse. I'd very much recommend removing any and all links to that sorry pretence of a retro gaming website. (Just my opinion though.)

Done.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Happy New Year!

I'd like to point out that the game BC Racers was very likely never released as freeware officially, the mistaken notion of such release probably originating with the Home of the Underdogs. At any rate, the page you're linking to no longer has the allegedly free version available, only a playable demo.

You might also want to update/change the lists of formerly freeware games. Wikipedia links to some very extensive research done by good people (who actually contacted Sierra and other interested parties to establish the legal status of some games) which shows that Betrayal at KrondorCaesarRed Baron 3D and some other titles were temporary promotional giveaways only. The download links for these games you list are not at all official, and in some cases (e.g. Best Old Games) are downright "abandonware" sites which pirate stuff. Betrayal at Krondor, Caesar, Red Baron and Zork games are all sold at GOG.com.

Share this post


Link to post

So I removed some games that aren't free anymore including The Suffering, since that game is available to purchase legally at GOG.com, but the free download to that is still lurking elsewhere in some limited sites, still thinking it's free-to-play and/or abandonware. Area-51 and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War now have full download links to ModDB and thus now free-to-play. Battlefield 1942 is now abandonware despite being free-to-play from EA years ago and was later removed from Origin due to the end of operating servers to that game. GTA I/II and Wild Metal Country are also abandonware status since Rockstar Games no longer supports them. The other games that aren't free anymore are all Cinemaware games (those games listed need to be edited out in Wikipedia), FarCry, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a bit confused about what you mean when you say "abandonware". This term has clearly got negative rep in recent years, and my understanding that this is due to many old games having become playable again thanks to DOSBox and other emulator, while in the previous decade no one including copyright holders generally cared about titles that could not be marketed to modern platforms. "Abandonware" has no legal meaning, and probably may only serve as a vague hint about the likelihood of legal consequences for unauthorised distribution of certain games.

I guess if a game is no longer sold and/or supported by the copyright holder, the safest and most neutral way to state that would be to say something like "product discontinued", not "abandonware" (any game can be pirated if you know where to get it).

That said, you might want to add PowBall DeluXe, the free official Windows port of the DOS Breakout/shmup hybrid PowBall.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I'm a bit confused about what you mean when you say "abandonware".

Nobody knows what he means when he says things, really...

 

58 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

I guess if a game is no longer sold and/or supported by the copyright holder, the safest and most neutral way to state that would be to say something like "product discontinued", not "abandonware" (any game can be pirated if you know where to get it).

Abandonware should be used for games which haven't been sold for prolonged periods of time and/or have their copyright holder uncertain or even missing (No One Lives Forever, sadface).

Share this post


Link to post

Added Blade Runner 9732 and YugiOh Duel Links to the list. So far Duel Links is my new favorite free-to-play and digital card game today.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Share this post


Link to post

Dunno if you guys dig retro 2.5D FPS games, but recently the Ultimate Doom Total Conversion called REKKR was released. It requires either the Ultimate Doom or Freedoom Phase 1 IWAD to play, and any source port will do as it's fully vanilla-compatible. There's also a stand-alone IWAD version which you can get from here.

Set in a fantasy world inspired by Norse and Celtic mythology and mediaeval history, REKKR will probably evoke thoughts of Heretic and maybe Witchaven but in fact it's a completely stand-alone project with its own take on level design as well as weapon and monster balance.

Also here's a rather extensive review that highlights the main features of the game.

Share this post


Link to post

I also would like to mention that MechCommander has a major update from last year. A fully modded version of MCG combined with other fan-made add-ons are now compiled as one huge game. It's called MechCommander Gold: Darkest Hours: http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4427.0

It's free though, with over 130 campaign missions, over 50 solo missions and over 50 multiplayer maps.

Edited by PurpleGaga27

Share this post


Link to post

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is now free-to-play in Steam, only for offline play against AI bots and speculating matches.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×