Sign in to follow this  
Stygs

Warning about a asset thief

Not sure if it belongs to this forum, but I just want to give a warning to CnC3 modders that are still active:

Be careful when dealing with a german modder named Crystal Nova! :roll:

About a year (or even more) ago I gave him an copy of my XML files (from Tiberium Wars Advanced) and told him how to use bibbers tools to extract models and other assets from mods (as he disagreed with some of the recent changes made in TWA, he wanted to make a private version to play with friends based on an older TWA release).

Initially, he seemed very friendly and for a while we had a lot of discussions about his ideas and suggestions.

However, at the beginning of this year, he suddenly released his mod on ModDB without asking us first, named it Tiberium Wars Advanced 1.8 and made it look like an official release despite no one from the original TWA team having worked on it (he also failed to mention the original mod makers in any way and then basically told me to **** off since "you can't copyright a mod" as he put it).

He also often talked about things he liked in other mods, so I would not be supprised if he had stolen things from others too (he also uploaded a lot of maps and mods on ModDB, but he usually mentioned the creators).

We deleted all the mirrors of his mod that we found, but a while ago he uploaded the TWA XML files on ModDB and now it seems he is asking people to fix models he ripped from earlier TWA releases.

So yeah, if you ever get any messages from him, its best to just ignore him. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up for everyone! Do you need any assistance from the people in this community in order to shut the asset thief down faster in some way?

he suddenly released his mod on ModDB without asking us first,

ok, stop, please. We can't talk about a team. In fact, the Thundermods team dont exist anymore.

Golan left the team two years ago and the others are inactive or, at least, involved in other projects. (WrathEd)

So, you are the only one who works on this project - for several years already.

Due to this, i can imagine that you are glad about somebody who was interested in your work because the cumbersome method to create a cnc3 mod frightens many people from modding cnc3.

But I'm very thankful that you gave me source code to me, so I can finish your awesome project finally. What I don't understand is that you lose your focus on it. I proposed you to make two versions - a release and a test version, three-two years ago.

I can say that twa 1.73 is still far away to be a stable version and the cnc3 community become steadily smaller, year by year.

The people are waiting for the 1.73 release for a such long time and you dont care about them.

There are other great mods for cnc3 like mec or cnc fallout, of course. The point is, those mods takes cnc3 in an other universe.

The other mods which takes place in the tiberium universe or improve/enhance the original game are - i'm sry to say - ****.

Tib Apocalypse contains terrible models, KW reloaded is badly coded and i dont like the blocky unit design from Tiberium Essence.

As far you can see, there is not many possibilities to import new models for twa and i dont know somebody which can create good looking models like Golan. (except ES_Chrizz, but it seems, that he has his own plans with them)

So, my friends here in the forum, you can breathe a sigh of relief ;)

Hmm okay, there is an old model from golan that i much rather prefer than the slingshot - the centurion - and this why I requested megumi two-three days ago. I would like to know about what he/she think of my code that i made - maybe she/he can take a look into twa_1.52 with her/his latest wrathed version. But I get no answer. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, it doesnt exist a copyright on overworked cnc3 models.

To come to conclusion, the word "rip-off" disturbs me. My TWA version is based on 1.73, okay. But stygs doesnt mention that twa 1.75 - not 1.8, by the way - includes new stuff from kanes wrath, is to be fully stable version without asyncs and the main thing - a fixed campaign. All things that he have planned for a release version.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Nmenth
removed link

One can work at one's own project while collaborating with others on another project. As it seems that you had no problems contacting us for other matters regarding TWA it's fascinating to see that you suddenly make that distinction here when it fits your wants.

It does not matter what you have discussed with him regarding what could be done. Stygs as the head of the mod never agreed for you to release your version of it - and worse fully claim it as your own.

The code you sent me is **** and not even on par with purple scrin's crap, that's the only answer you get from me. I will not, never have, and already told you so the last time, support your tries to rip from other mods while you're too bad to do anything worthwhile yourself.

@Staff here: plz ban him.

The code you sent me is **** and not even on par with purple scrin's crap, that's the only answer you get from me.

you are devilish ;) , hope you never be angry with me...

you are devilish ;) , hope you never be angry with me...

Bleh don't quote my bad grammar :P

ok, stop, please. We can't talk about a team. In fact, the Thundermods team dont exist anymore.

Golan left the team two years ago and the others are inactive or, at least, involved in other projects. (WrathEd)

So, you are the only one who works on this project - for several years already.

Wrong, the TM team still exists. Sure, the site is offline, but it has been that way multiple times since CnC Generals.

And as Bibber said before mutiple people contributed to TWA, whenever they are helping with TWA right now or not is not relevant. Not to mention the people that contributed but are not part of Thundermods (like ErastusMercy or Chronosheep)

You know, I fail to see how this matters here...

Tib Apocalypse contains terrible models, KW reloaded is badly coded and i dont like the blocky unit design from Tiberium Essence.

:rolleyes:

But stygs doesnt mention that twa 1.75 - not 1.8, by the way

Oh, sorry, my mistake. But after seeing you release 1.75 in late december and 1.76 in early january, I expected you to be somewhere near 1.8 right now. ;)

includes new stuff from kanes wrath, is to be fully stable version without asyncs

Not supprising, considering that alot of that was allready in the xml files I gave you. :)

I figure if enough of us clicks the Report button on ModDB, he'll be banned.

I assume this is the one? http://www.moddb.com/members/crystal-nova/downloads

Yeah, thats the one.

Not sure if reporting has any effect on ModDB. One of the mods there removed the downloads when I told him about it, but aside from that, they never seemed to care.

Edited by Stygs

The code you sent me is **** and not even on par with purple scrin's crap, that's the only answer you get from me.

I dont like how disrespectful you are to me but what I should expect?

Wrong.

Wrong ? So, you would say that you and megumi, stygs, golan are working together ? You can't expect me to believe that! That's bull****.

Edited by Nmenth
removed personal insult

Not supprising, considering that alot of that was allready in the xml files I gave you.

Wrong. I got them with WrathEd.

It's 2015 man, no need to try to take something perfectly normal and paint it like it would be the end of the world.

Also you tried that last time already iirc.

Edited by Lauren

Ah, you used WraithEd and added them yourself? Thats amazing, considering you seem to be unable to chance the 4barreled Slingshot into the 2barreled Centurion without any help :P

Btw, your "All things that he have planned for a release version" seems even more bull**** now because everything I wanted from KW has been in various TWA versions for quite a while.

And yes, Bibber, Golan and Lauren helped ALOT when developing TWA. The nuke particle effects, the MG tracers, LUA scripts for pilot promotion (and epic units) are just some things that come to mind right now.

Not to mention Golans models or Bibber and Lauren help when adding KW/TT stuff as they know alot more about the game engine than me. Or their modding tools. Or their help when fixing various bugs...

Just because they arnt constantly editing the xml files does not mean they were unimportent for TWA.

In fact, the ingame credits always showed who I considered important.... ;)

Anway, stay classy and nice tripple post.

Edited by Stygs

I dont like how disrespectful you are to me but what I should expect from a disgraceful ...

With that sentence you violated the forum rules, especially:

8. Avoid personal attacks or insults towards other forum members. If you don't agree with what someone posted, debate their post... not the person who posted it.

So I reported that message.

I'm glad Crystal is reporting the Thundermods team does not exist anymore. I didn't know about it. This means I can shut down the thundermods.net completely and terminate the contract, right? :D

Crystal, you're as amusing as having a migraine is.

I think the people should make up their own mind on my mod.

I'm glad Crystal is reporting the Thundermods team does not exist anymore. I didn't know about it. This means I can shut down the thundermods.net completely and terminate the contract, right?

I recognized that the thudermods page was shut down on my last visit. But good to see, that you contradict it, but it doesnt matter at all - the following point is: Stygs is the only one who is working on the project. That is the point.

Ah, you used WraithEd and added them yourself? Thats amazing, considering you seem to be unable to chance the 4barreled Slingshot into the 2barreled Centurion without any help

My code is based on the Slingshot, fool. It seems that the unit use other bones or ,at least, needs a few changes in regards to the recoils/turrets. You cant take the entire Slingshot code. To makes the things clear: You dont send any xml for the Orbital strike/Overlord Wrath/EMP Mines. We talked about that, but you dont send me any xml about those support powers.

Btw, your "All things that he have planned for a release version" seems even more bull**** now because everything I wanted from KW has been in various TWA versions for quite a while.

Fine, its your opinion. I think there is much more stuff to add it in TWA like the new terrain textures/civil buildings for the maps.

Edited by Nmenth
link removed
  • Downvote 1

I think the people should make up their own mind on my mod.

It doesn't matter what people think about any of this - it's NOT your mod if the assets are stolen, contributors aren't credited and the entire thing published without permission from the initial development team.

From what I can tell, you never had permission to do anything but modify the mod in question as a private version -> and then you uploaded it as your own creation for public use. Get a grip man. Everything says that you stole a lot of people's assets and hard work, claimed it as your own. Do you understand all of the things that have been said here? It's not your mod - you made a mod of a mod and uploaded it without permission from the mod's development team.

If you kept the entire thing private and used it only for your own gaming experiences along with a few friends, that would have been fine. To anyone more informed, please correct me if I'm wrong about anything, I'm just going by what I've read in this thread. Just trying to help resolve this joint communication failure by jotting it all down in one swoop.

• Upvote 2

the following point is: Stygs is the only one who is working on the project. That is the point.

Oh yes, I forgot you're on our chat 24 hours a day and are qualified to make such statements. You don't know any of the discussions happening there or the help he's receiving from other members. This also counts as "working" on it. Since we're a team. You know?

What else can your magic crystal ball tell us oh mighty CrystalNova?

Can you please just stop making baseless assertions?

To anyone more informed, please correct me if I'm wrong about anything, I'm just going by what I've read in this thread.

Nope nothing wrong there, as he himself admits he's ripped assets via WrathEd and relied on the source that was given to him for private use.

My TWA version is based on 1.73, okay

There just isn't anything more to say. Maybe that I shouldn't have made WrathEd able to read mod files. Edited by Lauren

You took it out of context. In regards to the new KW support powers like the Orbital Strike, I added it with WrathEd.

and then you uploaded it as your own creation for public use

This not the truth, I never uploaded it as my own creation. If you can read, you would find the mentions in the readme or in the credits.

Edited by Nmenth
removed personal insult

You took it out of context, ******.

As you are obviously not aware of it, such statements do not make you any more credible. You should just leave. You're taking arrows to your knee and it's not because of an adventure but misfiring directly into your kneecap.

You took it out of context

Okay then let's oversee the fine arts of keeping pms for oneself and let me quote you from there:

ich habe einfach mal damit angefangen alles zusammenzutragen und aus twa_1.52 den centurion zu extrahieren.

(English: I started to put everything together and extracted the centurion from TWA 1.52)

Even if you not used WrathEd for that I'd guess you used Bibber's tools to extract the centurion stuff (I guess it's about art resources).

Btw your German is actually worse than your English.

Edited by Lauren

I used a mixing method to get the new kw stuff. WrathEd for coding, Bibbers Asset Extractor to extract the models.

Serious, what did Stygs expect with this ****ing thread? I only asked what he/she thinks about the centurion.xml and the result is this flame-thread - about a supposedly asset thief who steals assets from another mods. I think that I wound the Stygs' pride because he has dealing with it that somebody finished his mod - but it doesnt bother me.

Let me say it one more time - I finished the work on this project - without permission from the creator - but this isn't a simply ripp-off by the way - for the community because the creator never have planned to create a release and stable version.

I just handle it like Robin Hood ;)

Edited by Nmenth

Robin Hood stole from the lazy rich to give it to the working poor. You're stealing from the working people and just make it your lazy own.

Also didn't you also ask Bibber for stuff after I didn't respond?

Edited by Lauren

Serious, what did Stygs expect with this ****ing thread? I only asked the tranny what he/she thinks about the centurion.xml and the result is this flame-thread

I just wanted to warn people what kind of person you are.

And thank you for proving my point. :)

Let me say it one more time - I finished the work on this project

Exept you said in december that you wanted to stop modding after uploading it, yet half a year later you still want to change things like the centurion.

Totally finished ;)

That aside, its a mod and as you miight have noticed yourself, it evolves and its not finished just because you said so.

but this isn't a simply ripp-off by the way

preeeety sure its a textbook example of "ripp-off".

btw, nice mod files. I like how your download even included renders from stuff that Golan made but that was never added into TWA.

Anyway, I stated my point and I think the thread has run its course.

Edited by Stygs