Sign in to follow this  
Maxitwist

Generals will not work anymore

I am extremely doubhtful that anyone here will be able to help me, but it is the last course of action I can think to take, so I may as well try it.

A few days ago I installed zero hour + generals at the same time. I immediately played zero hour and it worked fine. A few days later when I opened it it would say it encountered a serious error and close, however it would only say this the first time i tried to open it, and simply running the application again it would run as normal.

Today for some reason though, it stopped opening, completely. Id click open and nothing would happen, i can manually run autorun and the options come up, but when i click play the options go away and then nothing else happens.

Ive tried repairing/re-installing the game, installing in a different folder to program files.

Ive tried creating the options.ini file. (extension is fine)

Ive downgraded my version of direct x to 9c.

I have the file to run as administrator with windows xp service pack.

Hardware acceleration is as it should be.

User account control is off.

These are all the solutions I coud find, and none of them have changed anything.

The weirdest thing is that the game did work, i didnt make any system changes, and now it doesnt.

Generals also does not work.

Now, I may have found the problem: in the EZ.exe application located in the support folder on the disc, scrolling over to requirements i can see that the game thinks i dont meet the reuirements in two areas:

windows version and memory.

It detects my windows version as windows NT, it is 7 home premium

It detects the memory avaiable as -220mb, i have 4gb (assuming this is talking about ram and not video card memory) with 1400 listed as available and 100 as free at the moment ccording to task manager.

But i have no idea how to fix this problem.

Edited by Maxitwist

First of all, what C&C Generals/ZH version are you using; the original CD version, the First Decade, or the Ultimate Collection?

It is highly recommended to use the patch from The First Decade found here that will work for C&C Generals/Zero Hour: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19120-the-first-decade-unofficial-patch-103-released

Ah, this is the accursed Windows update that blocks SafeDisc-protected games.

Go to Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Installed Updates. Search for the one that has KB3086255. Right-click on it and remove it. Reboot, then manually check for updates. Among the Important Updates, right-click on that KB number and click "Hide This Update".

And BTW, Windows 7 technically is an NT system... all consumer-oriented systems from Windows XP onwards are (as they evolved from Windows 2000, which was intended to replace NT 4.0).

Edited by Plokite_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

Ah, this is the accursed Windows update that blocks SafeDisc-protected games.

Go to Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Installed Updates. Search for the one that has KB3086255. Right-click on it and remove it. Reboot, then manually check for updates. Among the Important Updates, right-click on that KB number and click "Hide This Update".

And BTW, Windows 7 technically is an NT system... all consumer-oriented systems from Windows XP onwards are (as they evolved from Windows 2000, which was intended to replace NT 4.0).

Wow great i didnt see this information anywhere when i googled the problem, but this was exactly it, ive removed the update and it works now, thanks, i so thought i had tried everything and really didnt expect a reply on this post for about 2 weeks.

But it workks now so sound man thanks for helping me out (y).

Also fyi tried to install the patch but it says a file is missing and it wont install.

Tried running the patch executables as administrator? Are you using the patch for the right language version?

Tried running the patch executables as administrator? Are you using the patch for the right language version?

Yup as admin does not work, and well, its in english so..

Are you running the old 2003 CDs or The First Decade? The First Decade installs patched versions of all included games.

Did you modify the games' directories in any way?