Jarmo

Developer Looking for Teammates

Howdy guys,

My name is Jarmo. I'm some 30-something network engineer that lives in the United States (Colorado). I am a developer on the side. I have a dream of creating a spiritual successor to the game Command & Conquer Sole Survivor. I am currently working on a multiplayer wrapper for the Xenko game engine, I've got a month into netcode and hope to have most of the netcode ready by early 2018. I'd then be looking to put together a small team of guys who want to create a spiritual successor to Sole Survivor. If you didn't play this game in the C&C Universe you might have missed out, it was fantastic! I'm hoping to crowd source most of the sprites and 3d models.... It's going to be hard to find a stand-in for Frank Klepacki. If you can link me up with people that'd be interested in contributing or a better hub for Sole Survivor that'd be awesome. I played this game as a we lad in AAA,  Penguins, and was in RABID for a minute too. Cheers

-Jarmo

Edited by Jarmo

You could create a MMORTS/MOBA hybrid of C&C Arena, the title of which EA first developed which became C&C4.

Besides C&C Sole Survivor was one of the first so-called MMORTS (or MOBA) games that didn't get much hype and lacked production values.

Wasn't the biggest fan of C&C4. Sole Survivor and Renegade yes. Do you know where I might be able to get traction crowd sourcing models?

I wished I knew. Most of the assets from Westwood to EA had somehow gotten lost.

I suppose I will have to pay for them then. I want to work with C&C fans though instead of regular artists. lol. What other C&C hubs are popular? I am working on an updated drive system based off of C&C TD/RA pathfinding. I pretty much have all the hooks built in to emulate any of the units in a W,A,S,D configuration with ability casting. Trying to figure out if I want a single plane map system or a dual plane high/low. I will post a video after I get the artillery arc implemented. No models tho, all primatives. Prepping for the netcode phase. Sole Survivor targetted 64 players per map, that's quite a bit but it was based on old point/click action transactions and was 2d, pre-physics and pretty much pre-hack era.

I put in a drive system that is a little modern but I feel can replicate the C&C universe. I had a retro system in which mimic'd pre Generals games but I think it would've been pigeon holed retro. Here's a video of progress, currently working on server instance planning and netcode.

- Been adding some features and optimizing other things for performance.
- Started a map system.
- Fixed a bunch of camera nuances for smoothness.
- Added level height, currently two levels like the original C&C/RA.
- Moved to more of an isometric view, its now a 30/30.

Next things will be to:
- Put in more accurate ballistics for the artillery (sphere).
- Render elevation changes in the chassis, I think turrets will stay level to give it a C&C feel.
- Work more on map system.
- Start on Client Side Rendering Netcode.

Then I'll post a video and work on adding a tank from Kaskins.

Still making progress on this, picked up a modeler, an artist and a map maker. This video is just showing netcode, more to come.

Why does your unit have a gigantic sphere in your player color around it?

Just a heads up, this effort is still underway. We will be adding more info and eventually a forum. Check out website for more info:

www.buckwildgames.com

Edited by Jarmo