Sign in to follow this  
J-Fire_Man

Another error...corrupted icons

I have a minor problem which can become a major problem, and it's pretty annoying. After installing Turbo Pascal and then mess up with some files. I found a file with corrupted icon, so I try to fix it. Then, I go play a game for awhile and the get back to the desktop. And, something serious occured, my whole icons are corrupted, the icons only shows the "no format" icons. I have tried to reinstall my Windows but it still hasn't changed. I suspect that the problem is at shell32.dll file. But I don't know how to fix it.

Try a system restore to a point before the problems with the icons.

Try a system restore to a point before the problems with the icons.

It didn't work. i've tried tro restore my comp to the safe point I made 2 days before.

Back up your important files and reformat

Not format again please....it took me more than 7 hours to restore everything.

Well that's what happens when you mess around with system files.

Yeah, lol

Anyway guys, as I expected, the source of the error is at shell32.dll. Well....since I have no backup at the moment, can someone help me by sending your shell32.dll file located in C:WindowsSystem32 folder to my mailbox. And to make things safer, send it to me if you're using WinXP SP2. I know this sounds stupid, but......dunno

You do realise that, that is a 8 mb file?

Anyways heres an idea why don't you just install a new icon set? :idea:

You do realise that, that is a 8 mb file?

Yup, I just ask, doesn't mean you must do that. I will really appreciate anyone who will voulunteer to do so.

Anyways heres an idea why don't you just install a new icon set? :idea:

Nope, I love the normal WinXP Icons, besides, I can't just sit in front of my comp like an idiot while there are some errors in my comp system. I always want my comp clean from error.

thank you Sonic, I forgot to search in the Microsoft site, lol :oops:

Microsoft is always a good place to start... That's why I'm Ghosting my new machine after I update everything and install what I need to. **** goes wrong, I'll just move my files and image the primary drive. WAM. Back to normal.

I love Norton Ghost... I'll have more products that can save my ass too... hehehehehe.... Can anyone say ERD Commander? :P

Thanks Sonic it works. But, after I installed the application, I nearly have a sudden heart attack, somhow the system won't access the OS and displaying a critical message. However, I managed to log in to the OS by restoring the configurations through startup mode. But, at first, things still look how it looks like when the Icons are corrupted. Then I try to play an old game, when I quit from the game application, all icons were restored :D I guess, that application still have replaced the shell32.dll with the new one.

It sounds to me like your hard drive is going, buy a new one. Untill then run a scan disk to find the errors and mark them.