Sign in to follow this  
yadayadayada

freezing problem

so, i got the patches and everything. did all that stuff with compatibility, but c&c and c&c:ra still freeze at some point in almost every game. i can move the mouse but i cant click on anything. ive noticed that there are some pretty random things that will set off a freeze, like in c&c (original) i took some orca up to the construction yard, and it froze everytime i did it. i eventually learned how to get around it, by saving a lot and just doing different things here and there to step around the problem, but it's really annoying, and in ra, i cant save my skirmishes. anyone have the same problem that they were able to fix?

Never could save RA skirmishes anyway, that feature was new in TS.

Make sure you have the C&C95 and the RA95, because win XP wont run compatability for MS-DOS

Funny detail... Warcraft 1 already had skirmish, with save function :wink:

Never could save RA skirmishes anyway, that feature was new in TS.

Make sure you have the C&C95 and the RA95, because win XP wont run compatability for MS-DOS

You know whats stupid about MS-DOS compatability, is there is a DOS COMMAND BAR that can be accessed through start-programs-asscesories-command prompt-then type in the drive.exe and viola! MS-DOS compatability!!

wtf? In XP, it's just an option in the properties of every shortcut and program. To enable Win95 compatibility in a DOS console or batch program, you have to type

set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win95

Your way is compatability, mine is using the MS-DOS built in to XP. And it works....I think.

I have no idea what you mean.

The command prompt is WinXP's own DOS emulator. It's only for pure DOS, not for Win95 programs. Win95 programs ran through a DOS command prompt will start, yes... but they won't be run in compatibility mode.

And normal DOS programs/games started by double-clicking the exe will start in a DOS console window anyway.

If you just start ra.exe instead of ra95.exe you got the DOS mode.

The sound of DOS RA will stutter though, unless you use VDMSound.

I was talking about DOS programs, for Win 95, use compatability.

However this DOS thingy doesnt work very well. For examply: Tie Fighter collectors CD. :evil::evil::evil:

Hehh... There's other DOS support emulators out there like the sound emulator VDMSound, which fixes 90% of all problems with old games on XP, and DOSBox, whichc is a full DOS emulator. DOSBox needs a LOT of CPU though.

Tried DOSbox, it messed a lot of stuff up, ontop of that, the game didnt run. Might be my Intel Extreme graphics drivers.