Sign in to follow this  
Masked Shah

Ideas for a C&C game

An alternate universe in which America is an Empire...

Liberty was never excepted as a contract...

Mankind values weren't the focus early on.

The stautue of liberty carries a sword and shield... instead of tablet and torch...

George Washington became first American Emperor, and laid waste to England and beheaded their king...

The Declaration was a hate letter and claimed right to rule by one true emperor... and unconditional authority...

The Mexican American war ended up with America crushing Mexico and setting up a satelite nation.

WWII ended with America scaring Russia into giving up eastern Europe, and the German were nuked... badly... then Japan even worse...

The Game would set in where civil war is about to spark within the Empires borders. As America plots to invade Europe and the World...

the sides:

-American Empire

-Peoples Freedom Front (rebellion)

-United Europe

lol..

Sounds good. But if the US were that powerful it seems unlikey that WW2 would have occured...

Storyline direct conquest just crossed our minds recently...

as for WWII we were neutral in the beginning, then bam!!! Major Hurt!!!

SOUNDS COOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a pretty cool idea about an Evil American Empire. One characteristic of really good storylines of not just C&C games, but storylines of any type, is that their themes are usually hugely wide-ranging, involving most aspects of how people think. This'd touch on human nature, how we think, what our values are, why we have them, and maybe why others have the values they do. In a good storyline involving this empire attempting to take over the world, the story could also focus on the nature of evil and how it works.

Plus there'd be lots and lots of damn great explosions and tank battles and things blowing up. Top stuff.

I've been doing a bit of thinking of my own about how a future C&C game could work. Last week a friend of mine confided in me that he thinks all RTS games suck. After I picked up my jaw off the floor, I asked how he could sleep at night after making such a heinous and despicable accusation. His reasoning was that in RTS games, it's just too easy to make lots and lots of one unit, and do damn great charges to win games. There's no real skill involved. After thinking for a bit, I realised he acutally made a point.

In Generals, who hasn't make thousands of, say, Technicals, to overrun bases by sheer numbers and blow the crap out of enemies? It can be delicious fun sometimes, but it just doesn't make for elegant games of skill and intelligence.

Modifications can be made to an RTS to try to counteract this. Warcraft III does this, with varying success, by introducing a population limit. (Yes, I know Age of Empires, among other games, has done this years before, but Warcraft III is slightly more current). Personally, I find population limits to be a pain in the arse. They get in the way of a good game. Yes, I can see that they're necessary, in some senses, but they're still annoying.

So I came up with a means of not having a population limit, but still retaining the essential aspects of actually having one. Give all vehicles fuel tanks.

Allow me to explain. For quite a few RTSs, the resource types usually reflect what's required to construct the units in the game. So what could be done for a possible future C&C game is to have crude oil as the basic resource type. You'd pump it and sell it. As you ascend through the tech tree, you'd build refineries to purify it and raise the prices of oil. The money would be used to fund the construction of structures, and to fuel vehicles.

In this way, it'd be one thing to build tens of thousands of tanks, but it'd be quite another thing to actually send tens of thousands of tanks into battle. Instead of just staying in one place, and not using any fuel, they'd be charging into battle, together using hideous amounts of fuel, and would deplete your stockpiles of it almost instantly. Only moderately sized attack forces would be able to be fueled continuously. If you saved up extremely large amounts of fuel, you'd be able to send in huge armies, but they'd run out of fuel quickly, grind to a halt, and be picked off by enemy forces. So basically, your continuous, operational army can only be as big as your fuel supply.

I've had other ideas, involving producing ammunition as well, but that'll do for now.

**** the ammo idea, but thats pretty good for fuel. Have upgrades (either General poitns ungrades or tech upgrades) of like Solar power or Full Cells, so the vehicles would use less fuel.

But that could be a problem in Campaign missions when you have limited forces and little or no base.

I've had more ideas for fuel production - have small, slightly discoloured patches of ground signifying the presence of oil underneath. In this way, you can only build one oil derrick per source of oil. There'd be several scattered around the map.

When you start the game, the rate at which you extract oil from the ground would be fairly high, and slowly run down over time - a bit similar to the behaviour of vespene geysers in Starcraft, but the running down would be a smooth inverse exponential curve, as opposed to a sharp cutoff, like what happens for the geysers. There would, in theory, be an infinite amount of oil from each well, but after long periods of time (several hours, game time) the output would be almost nothing. In this way, after this time, the game would basically come to a natural end, thus avoiding the huge standoffs you can get in Generals. Various game types could be based on just how long it'd take for the oil wells to deplete (from around half an hour for short, quick games to over a day for huge, epic games).

There would be various assorted upgrades to boost output, like you said, Cygnus, and these would be things like boosts to the oil derrick pumping efficiency, fuel refinery construction, better vehicle construction so that they run on less fuel, etc. These would multiply the productivity of the oil derricks, but the output would continue downwards.

I'm not sure whether the output should tend towards zero, or to some low value, not enough for vast stockpiles of oil to be collected, but enough for at least some elements of gameplay to still continue.

And we need silos. Oil silos. Well, oil tanks. If they're attacked, there should be a chance they'd explode, showering burning oil everywhere. If an oil tank is fairly empty, there'd be a high chance of it exploding (it's oil vapour the does the exploding, not the liquid), but the explosion force would be moderate. If the tank is full, the chance of any one shot making it explode would be fairly small, but the explosion force would be huge.

What's wrong with making ammunition? I realise it'd complicate the gameplay a bit, adding a fair bit of micromanagement, and it'd probably be hell to balance, but worth a try at least, is it not? Besides, ammunition explodes. A fully loaded tank would explode with the force of a nuke cannon shell. Adds a nice twist.

And we need some means of putting vehicles in formations. It's annoying as hell selecting a blob of tanks to go somewhere, over featureless open terrain, and they, for some reason known only to themselves, decide it's just super to go in single file. Ugh.

Good point about it being more difficult to perform missions when there's little or no base. Maybe missions of those types would be done using infantry. Or you'd be given a large stockpile of oil at the start, or something.

Your "ideas" seem an awful lot like rise of nations. Wich is a good game, but its not for C&C

The Formations thing on Rise of Nations could be rather useful for C&C though

And we need some means of putting vehicles in formations. It's annoying as hell selecting a blob of tanks to go somewhere, over featureless open terrain, and they, for some reason known only to themselves, decide it's just super to go in single file. Ugh.

ah ha!

thats what CTRL + F is for

F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N for those of you who didnt know :wink:

off topic

extremely effective for overlords. eg put speaking overlords in center, bunker overlords in middle, and gatling tanks (or overlords if thats your ting) and battlemasters -fully upgraded ofcourse- and ctrl+f their @$$

Guest MadBadger

What you have overlords that can SPEAK? yes i know there prop towers u muppet

"Westwood will rise again.... to rule over us all... to destory all the non-believers, and devower their childern's childern... "- Masked Shah

:roll: :lol: :P :roll: lovin that sig

NO ON FUEL NO ON AMMO.... maybe on the oil thing making dericks on oil patches to get money could be fun.

The whole idear of making a huge army is that if your oponant is skilled he also makes on = HUGE ****ING TANK BATTLE which is very fun. needs a min of 50 units per side to be effective.

The baddies, and good guys would be America...

or two sides of America...

-The Empire who seeks to control the incoming danger of split civil war between country...

-The Freedom Force who seeks democracy and freedom, and fights within the country.

Both would have their say about the war..

the Empire declaring the Rebels as terrorists...

and Rebels declaring the Empire as despots of evil...

Over all I think it would make a good game...

just needs to add outside forces... the french or english...hmmm?

Guest MadBadger

Pffft french? didnt someone post French generals powers? something about retreat? But the idears sound. It sounds a bit like the American Empire series by Harry Turtledove. Great books its like the war of inderpendance never ended and the countrys spilt N/S and there just fighting with tanks n planes now. Your idear sound similar but also different. melikey.

American Empire

American Freedome fighters

EU Home defense force

Eurasian Global task force

African Alliance Defense Corps

Guest Eclipsen413

I think they should remake red alert 1 and all expansions

or ra3 should take on a future like setting, sumthin like starcraft

Guest MadBadger

wow 1 post...... wish i could say 1 post 1nder.... damn it i cant...

Ra re-make will never happen as EA just wouldnt think of it maybe a similar RTS in 50 odd years time but not a remake and RA3 cant go any further into the future than TD... or :twisted: bad things will happen to EA staff :twisted:

I second that.

EA doesnt seem to care too much about the older games. Just look at the WOL servers (which Ihavent been able to connect to for 5 days now)

Guest MadBadger

..... oh well i guess modders have there own opions....

That's not even a modder opinion. Tons of players say that too.

WOL is full of stupid n00bs, ladder hackers and uber cheaters. It sucks ass. I avoid it like the f**king flu.

Guest MadBadger

no the WOL=gay thing just somink i didnt see coming from a modder.... more a Luk3as comment not harsh enough for me. oh well im gona shut up n go to bed i just dont see that much of a problem wwith WOL i played on it for a while a while back n didnt notice cheaters ppl only just beat me or i kicked there a$$.

b4 i post this i'll tell u this is all my idea and was gonna be my mod for C&C3. So nothing official here. Also, i have my own topic called 'great mod idea for C&C3!!!!' in command and conquer 3 /kanes wrath forums. So here's the story:

This mod will be set in the year 2147, appox 100 years after Tib. war 3. GDI no longer exists due to the tiberium misteriously vanishing from earth in 2061 and also NOD havent shown since so everything was running smoothly after this.

However, in 2140 something happened, something unexplainable. Chaos broke out in asia, then it spread to africa, until the only remaining continents were europe and the americas in 2143. To stop any more spread of chaos two earth defense organisations were set up: the U.N.C (united nations confederacy) set up in america and the E.U.I (european union inituitive) which was set up in europe.

For two years these organisations worked to stop the spread and were doing well until they gathered intel of two enemy factions who may be the cause of this chaos. They are known as the I.F.C (Imperial force...) the letter "'c" unknown. The other is the F.O.N (future order...) the letter "n" unknown.

There have been cases of heavy resistence in the last two years on all fronts. Our defensive organisations need to bring order back to earth and finish these enemies off quickly in order to prevent this catastrophe.

:idea::D