Sign in to follow this  
Saracen

Company Of Heroes

Quite simply the best RTS ever created

lies lieslies

That's quite funny coming from a combat experienced teenage Marine who's had his leg blown off. That purple heart must be getting to your head already.

It's not a lie, it's an opinion. So RTS expert, my experience of playing over 160 RTS games over the last 14 years obviously isn't enough to come to a substancial opinion... What is the Best? And don't say C&C cos it's far from the best ever.

there's 160 RTS games in the worlds?

Quite simply the best RTS ever created

lies lieslies

That's quite funny coming from a combat experienced teenage Marine who's had his leg blown off. That purple heart must be getting to your head already.

:rofl: It's still coming back to haunt you :P Well, the moral of the story should be obvious. Never lie to forum members with long memories or extensive history/military knowledge :haha:

the lie has come back to bite him on the ass :P

Of course, but I think King was using that big of a number for dramatic effect.

But I am sure he has played a lot of them.

Over the last 14 years, since Dune 2, there has been about 230, probably a hell of a lot more RTS games released onto the market. If you were to include the Demos, I've probably played a good 220 or so of them. But I'm only referring to the full games I've had in ownership over the years.

This is why you'll see me bitch and moan about the quality and consistancy of games like C&C 3. Games like 'D-Day' and 'The War On Terror' are abysmal titles, while others like 'Company of Heros', 'Imperium Galactica 2' and 'Rise Of Nations' are a small example of titles with exceptional quality.

I always prefer to look deeper than just the graphics and gameplay. It comes down to the execution, the atmosphere, adaptive AI, wow factor, sound realism and so much more. A great game should thrust you into it's world, when really heavy battles are going on, you should be constantly on your toes, thinking about your next move or several moves ahead, anticipating the AI's next move etc.

The game's I get most enjoyment out of these days are one's that have me spending every resource I have just to stay alive. The AI will push, push, push and not let up for long periods of time. Then when you have no option other than to counter attack with the small amount of resources you have to gain the advantage (or get battered again). The strategy involved can be a decisive factor on whether you go on to win the mission, or fail it completely. Notable games that have done that include Rise Of Nations (on hard or harder) and Ground Control 2. Some of the scenarios you can get yourself into can be real slug fests that could go on for hours or end in seconds unless you make decisive tactics to gain the upper hand.

Believe me when I say this, I enjoy AI that gets me into losing units and gaining heavy casualties. Games like this make sure that you cannot rush or mass or even turtle inside your base for long periods of time. The Ironic thing is too, that the games that make you do this are generally one's with pop caps as opposed to free will non-capped games. Alot of people absolutely hate pop-cap games, but they can play a huge part in successful micromanagment if the rest of the game is balanced correctly. And these are usually some of the best games out there!

Games like company of heroes, Ground Control 2, Joint Task Force for example are non base construction games that involve controlling small squads, and making them last through an entire mission. These are really beginning to become the backbone of an RTS culture that has relied on base building for far too long. There is more strategical depth to these games, and you are made to make every man count, such is the case with real war.

My opinion stating that company of heroes is perhaps the best RTS ever takes more into account than just what the mags and other people say. There are certain missions in this game where you can have only a few men, and be up against half of the German army, and the objective is to kill them all while holding certain strategical points on the map!! One wrong decision and you can be history! It's missions like this that really make this game something to shout about, hence why I feel my opinion is justified.

My opinion stating that company of heroes is perhaps the best RTS ever takes more into account than just what the mags and other people say. There are certain missions in this game where you can have only a few men, and be up against half of the German army, and the objective is to kill them all while holding certain strategical points on the map!! One wrong decision and you can be history! It's missions like this that really make this game something to shout about, hence why I feel my opinion is justified.

Just like some C&C missions

well i own CoH and it rules very good. so i think EA need to raise the bar to Get us to buy C&C3 even though i have a;ready paid 4 it. lol