Gben

Scratched Disc

Hey following on from a similiar post from Saracen elsewhere - I contacted EA about my scratched C&C3 disc.

They said no problems, return it and $25 and we'll send out a replacement.

So a replacement disc plus KW ($50) iS AUD$75

Buying a full pack of both is AUD$109

Anyone want to hazzard a guess when the price of the original will come down to the AUD$20 mark (best sellers) range?

Right now, my C&C3 works fine, because disc just validates the installation, but if I want to reinstall - I'm screwed. Or if I want to install on a different/better comp I'm screwed. Any sage advice for which pack and when I should buy???

How bad is the scratch? You can get the disc resurfaced. You could also try one of those scratch removal kit.

I would just go with EA's $25 replacement option, then grab Kane's Wrath later.

Bad enough that I have confirmed with a test install that the disc is broke.

I am thinking that I will just buy KW, and suck-and-see for the collectors edition to come down and buy a pack later.

I hope I can delay re-installation for as long as possible... to make it work.

This is some of the cases where piracy is ok, i mean you have paid for it.

Get a cheap copy of eBay. >.>

(yes eBay is my solution for everything, :faux emo: STOP JUDGING ME! :faux emo: )

Edited by Mighty BOB!

This is some of the cases where piracy is ok, i mean you have paid for it.

Guest Rabbit

As long as you have a legal CD key, it is legal to download the software.

Is that your opinion of consumer justice Zee or can you point me to some proof?

There may be some truth to it. Because with out a serial key the software is useless anyway.

Well if it *was* legal, then I would have expect EA to offer that solution - as much as some people might think they are part of the ANTI-CHRIST's legions from his demonic horde - even they would have the sense to at least offer it as a possibility.

Ebay is actually not a bad idea though... I'll probably head in that direction.

By downloading the software you are most likely downloading an ISO. You can make an ISO as a backup from any CD if you so please. It is not against copyright laws I believe. I'll try to find some proof, but since backing up with disks is NOT against the law, I don't believe sharing the "backup" is against copyright laws either.

Sharing it is against the law. There's this thing in the EULA that says you're not allowed to redistribute the software. Cracking it is also against the law.

But the previous posters are right, if you already bought and paid for it, you shouldn't have to pay for it again. You legally own it and you have a legal serial key, so downloading it and using the key you legally own falls into the grey area of "technically illegal but no one cares."

Downloading a game is not against the law, but sharing is. And keeping an illegal copy for a certain amount of time (an hour, a day? I'm not sure about this).

From the readme...

THIS FILE AND THE SOFTWARE HEREWITH IS COPYRIGHTED. ALL RIGHTS ARE

RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS FILE OR THE SOFTWARE MAY BE COPIED,

REPRODUCED, TRANSLATED, OR REDUCED TO ANY ELECTRONIC MEDIUM OR

MACHINE-READABLE FORM WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF

ELECTRONIC ARTS.

From the readme...

Well if you download the game you're not exactly violation that as long as you still use your product key.

Also it always comes down to what the law is about that sort of thing in your country/state, I'm pretty sure Australian and New Zealand software laws are way less harsh than those in say the US

Its not much money just to buy a game.

edmundw can I borrow 'not much' money to buy a game?

If you download it but you don't seed it, I don't see how you're distributing it. :)

That just makes you a leach! Which is far worse!

LOL Luk3us...

But if you can't copy it, then you can't download it!

You know from memory, Rogue Spear had a specific notation in the readme that you could install multiple copies for a LAN party, but you are still required your own individual copy for online. That is cool, and similiar to the original Starcraft spawn!)

edmundw can I borrow 'not much' money to buy a game?

Eh?

*RESOLVED*

I bought the CNC SAGA via ebay a couple of weeks ago... it was an excellent suggestion. Instead of paying AUD$25 for a replacement disc from EA, I spent AUD$33 for TW+TFD including postage. A much better deal even if I already have all the games in TFD... now I have spares and extra copies for future LAN parties if needed.

I'm happy, and with KW due tomorrow - it couldn't be more perfect timing!

RE: Not much money.

It stands to reason, Edmund, that if it costs 'not much money' in your eyes to buy the game, then you would also mind giving me 'not much money' to buy a replacement. My point is, it's still money, and no-one wants to spend it!

Edmund seems kind of... slow... I think he will appreciate you explaining it. :P Glad to see you got it resolved. :)

You know what annoys me about all this..

GBEN IS STILL GOING TO PLAY KW LONG BEFORE I DO!!!

Pah, I'm importing this game now... Stupid NZ and their stupid whatever!