Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Multiplay not working

After two and a half years without high speed internet, I finally got it back and wished to play my favorite multiplayer online game, Renegade.

However, when I try to connect to the internet (the Westwood Online link) it says, "Your installed version of Westwood Online is incompatible with this product. Please reinstall the Westwood Online component."

My current Renegade in through The First Decade, although I do have the original.

I tried downloading the 1.037 patch for Renegade also, but to that it said, "Patch error. Existing game files may have been modified. You should re-instal" followed by, "Old File does not exist"

How might I remedy this situation?

Dump The First Decade version, install the original, patch to v1.037, get RenGuard and core patches from http://www.renguard.com. That should sort it out.

I tried it on another computer, also The First Decade version. It played fine and I also was able to download the patch. The other computer is however, XP, and the privious one is Vista. I wonder then, if this is just Vista being a @#$%& operating system like usual. I would still like to use the Vista computer though, because other than the OS, it is a superior machine. I prefer running my C&C games off one DVD (except for Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath, of course) instead of the original disks though, so I'd prefer to keep TFD if possible.

I also discovered that in two and a half years, I've gotten a little rusty at Renegade... makes me feel like a noob all over again. :mellow:

On the Vista machine set the compatibility mode to WinXP SP2 for Renegade, this may help.

I haven't tried compatability yet, but I did discover that the 1.037 patch was included in The First Decade by EA. There is, however a TFD patch 1.02 (and earlier 1.01) available that is supposed to fix some issues with Renegade amoung other things. Unfortunately, my stupid Vista computer couldn't run this patch either. I am not mentioning this for assistance though, because I believe the problems are not C&C related, I just bring this up in case other people cared to know.

Dude, you should try Reborn or A path beyond. They are stand alone renegade mods and tbh much better then renegade.

Ok, well this is what i think is going wrong. I had this problem before and i figured out what was wrong.

You probably have Renegade installed on your computer(not TFD, regular game). Then u installed Renegade on TFD and both games crash. The reason is because TFD doesn't use Westwood Shared components. So u are going to uninstall westwood's renegade version if u want to use TFD. Or u can forget about TFD and play whit regular Renegade.

This is what i did to fix it. But im not quite sure this will work for you cause u have a Vista, i dont know nothing about that system.