Sign in to follow this  
Malevolence

Malevolence X58 Classified Setup

cncnzmalx58s.png

*Updated: Refer to last few posts for finalized setup and pictures.

Alright everyone. It's my turn that I should get an updated rig right now, my ancient system is pretty much doomed and I'm not going into details.

Point is, I am going to assemble one new rig for myself.

In the past I tried to recommend some parts for some of you guys in your thread, this time round, let's try something different, our roles reversed, and I want to hear your recommendations on parts!

The following are the things I'll probably be doing:

- C&C4 Ready

- Able to play and support all modern games.

- Adobe Photoshop

- Capable to watch multiple HD videos at the same time.

- Using iTunes and all other music players without a problem

- Capable of withstanding even the most resource hogging OS a.k.a. Vista Aero mode.

- Video editing

- Peer sharing

- Multi-tasking

- All of the above at the same time (preferably)

- Most importantly, able to surf CNCNZ with no lag.

The rig itself, no monitors, peripherals and such.

Budget below 2.8K NZD. (Everything to be converted to NZD, since this is NZ site, let's use NZD)

All are welcome.

As an incentive, cake* will be awarded to whoever that has the best recommendation. ;)

Keep your suggestions coming.

Thank you.

Edited by Malevolence

Updated:

ok here is my proposition for 1.092euros that mean you can keep the extra 110euros to buy something else.

i have also included LINKS so you can read all the details and see more picture on the products! some labels are in GREEK but you dont care the specifications are in pure english and you will get them. eg L2 Cache 12MB doesnt need translation ;-)

so it will cost you: 2.571 NZD total ;)

and i will totally recommend that you will install Windows 7 x64 Ultimate ONLY! for performance and visual experience.(trust me everything is working in that OS from compatibility point of you all your games and application will be installed and run smoothly! trust me i have the RTM in my primary system(i got earlier as OEM partner from my company but you can find too if you search "around")

explanation: i made you NOT an i7/i9 intel system and a ddr3 one cause you would spend hell lots of money for very very little more everyday-performance!

i build you a very fast and upgradeable pc for the future but also well balanced money/performance. i have a little bit slower system that yours as i told you and i having it for 2,5 years now and nothing challenged me! Yours will keep you company for at least 3-5 years, hardware speeds have been stabilized in our days there is no a huge leap forward for the new future. we are stuck at cpu 3ghz and 2-4 cores cause we just cant find new material to build new cpu and go faster and more than 4 core just makes thinks run slower yes they do!. also there is a huge bottleneck with the hdds and sdd are still "babies".

lets get to the point

newcase.jpg

*how the case looks like.for the rest 100euros you can easily buy a very good thermaltake water kit and look like that.

CASE: THERMALTAKE VB5000SNA TAI-CHI 111.96 €

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CORE Q9650 3.00 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB - BOX (i-Core 3) 289.00 €

CPU COOLING: COOLERMASTER RR-CCH-LB22-GP HYPER 212 CPU COOLER (blue led) 28.00 €

RAM: 2x KINGSTON KHX8500D2K2/4G DDR2 4GB (2X2GB) PC8500 1066MHZ HYPERX DUAL CHANNEL KIT 58.90 € = Total 8 GB of 1066 RAM.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 105.89 €

GRAPHICS CARD: XFX RADEON HD4890 1GB HD489AZDFL PCI-E RETAIL ( more specs here) 182.90 €

HARD DISKS: 2x WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD10EVDS CAVIAR GP SATA2 32mb 69.90 € => configure them as RAID Stripe and your performance will be almost double, and have 2TB of space.

DVD-RW DRIVE: LG GH-22LP SUPER MULTI LIGHTSCRIBE DVD REWRITER BLACK BULK 20.99 €

POWER SUPPLY: THERMALTAKE W0106 TOUGHPOWER CABLE MANAGEMENT 700W 95.90 €

TOTAL= 2.571 NZD or ~1.092euros

if you decide to go for that system download all the latest drivers get the w7 ultimate x64

maybe try upgrade the mobo bios first too just to make sure you have the latest.

RAID the 2 HDD in Stripe with 64kb buffer (you will see that in your RAID mobo configuration its very easy)

and enjoy the power!

you will also love your case its very easy to open and handle all your hardware inside spacey and very good air channeling.

also the PSU can handle its cables so it will not be a mess in your tower and the VGA, oh boy no need to go there it will kill Everything in its path at any resolution!

also the amazing gigabyte mobo is "green" with superb quality, consumes less power as your cpu and vga too, and it has only solid capacitors and it can allow to overcloack (if you wish) your system Very easily!

ov tips:

just disable Virtualzation

Temp controls

EIST cpu futures and etc

then it will unlock the cpu and ram power. also if your go for over cloacking give +0.1-0.2v to rams and +0.1 to chipset.

But with this PC i will not recommend you Go for overcloacking No Need to!

hope those help

GL B)

Edited by Johnnyxp64

ok first of all how much is the 2.8k NZD? = Euros? or dollars?

is this Google result ok to start building?

2.80000 New Zealand dollars = 1.29814074 Euros

also you should know that for example in my Country there are lots of parts a little bit cheaper in other countries and maybe your, so i will propobly make a offer that will be a little bit more expensive or more depending your country!

do you have any BIG online shop you prefer in New Zealand (btw love this country never been there but all those nature i have seens from movies omg!)

so if you had an online place to suggest it will help us to build something specific for your money.

Eh? Didn't expect that sort of confusion. I used NZD as standard because this is NZ site.

<2800NZD or <1825USD or <1291Euros or whatever currency you want with online converters.

As for prices use newegg as reference, you need not be accurate, lets do the calculations roughly, the point is the recommendations of the parts for my specific tasks. I won't getting it from newegg or online sites as there's a electronics shop in my neighborhood.

i have update my first post man, take a look at it.

Updated:

ok here is my proposition for 1.092euros that mean you can keep the extra 110euros to buy something else.

i have also included LINKS so you can read all the details and see more picture on the products! some labels are in GREEK but you dont care the specifications are in pure english and you will get them. eg L2 Cache 12MB doesnt need translation ;-)

so it will cost you: 2.571 NZD total ;)

and i will totally recommend that you will install Windows 7 x64 Ultimate ONLY! for performance and visual experience.(trust me everything is working in that OS from compatibility point of you all your games and application will be installed and run smoothly! trust me i have the RTM in my primary system(i got earlier as OEM partner from my company but you can find too if you search "around")

explanation: i made you NOT an i7/i9 intel system and a ddr3 one cause you would spend hell lots of money for very very little more everyday-performance!

i build you a very fast and upgradeable pc for the future but also well balanced money/performance. i have a little bit slower system that yours as i told you and i having it for 2,5 years now and nothing challenged me! Yours will keep you company for at least 3-5 years, hardware speeds have been stabilized in our days there is no a huge leap forward for the new future. we are stuck at cpu 3ghz and 2-4 cores cause we just cant find new material to build new cpu and go faster and more than 4 core just makes thinks run slower yes they do!. also there is a huge bottleneck with the hdds and sdd are still "babies".

lets get to the point

newcase.jpg

*how the case looks like.for the rest 100euros you can easily buy a very good thermaltake water kit and look like that.

CASE: THERMALTAKE VB5000SNA TAI-CHI 111.96 €

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 QUAD CORE Q9650 3.00 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB - BOX (i-Core 3) 289.00 €

CPU COOLING: COOLERMASTER RR-CCH-LB22-GP HYPER 212 CPU COOLER (blue led) 28.00 €

RAM: 2x KINGSTON KHX8500D2K2/4G DDR2 4GB (2X2GB) PC8500 1066MHZ HYPERX DUAL CHANNEL KIT 58.90 € = Total 8 GB of 1066 RAM.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 105.89 €

GRAPHICS CARD: XFX RADEON HD4890 1GB HD489AZDFL PCI-E RETAIL ( more specs here) 182.90 €

HARD DISKS: 2x WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD10EVDS CAVIAR GP SATA2 32mb 69.90 € => configure them as RAID Stripe and your performance will be almost double, and have 2TB of space.

DVD-RW DRIVE: LG GH-22LP SUPER MULTI LIGHTSCRIBE DVD REWRITER BLACK BULK 20.99 €

POWER SUPPLY: THERMALTAKE W0106 TOUGHPOWER CABLE MANAGEMENT 700W 95.90 €

TOTAL= 2.571 NZD or ~1.092euros

if you decide to go for that system download all the latest drivers get the w7 ultimate x64

maybe try upgrade the mobo bios first too just to make sure you have the latest.

RAID the 2 HDD in Stripe with 64kb buffer (you will see that in your RAID mobo configuration its very easy)

and enjoy the power!

you will also love your case its very easy to open and handle all your hardware inside spacey and very good air channeling.

also the PSU can handle its cables so it will not be a mess in your tower and the VGA, oh boy no need to go there it will kill Everything in its path at any resolution!

also the amazing gigabyte mobo is "green" with superb quality, consumes less power as your cpu and vga too, and it has only solid capacitors and it can allow to overcloack (if you wish) your system Very easily!

ov tips:

just disable Virtualzation

Temp controls

EIST cpu futures and etc

then it will unlock the cpu and ram power. also if your go for over cloacking give +0.1-0.2v to rams and +0.1 to chipset.

But with this PC i will not recommend you Go for overcloacking No Need to!

hope those help

GL B)

Thanks for the recommendations. 2 x1TB to RAID 0 huh? That must be really insane. Usually people would go with lesser space HDD to RAID 0 and stuff. Wonder will that cause higher rate of failure if you use 2 pieces of 1TB HDD.

I'll hold on this recommendation for a while, I also wish to see what the other guys will suggest in here as well. :)

to be honest i would like to have like 80+80 (like i do in Stripe Raid) or 120+120

bu ti have no idea how much space do you really need in your primary system, you can go for 120+120 and get a 500GB just for a storage.

but it would not have failures not with WD and Gigabyte RAID, you may just have to set the block to 512k.

its your choice.HDD its relevend to what peoples needs are, nothing to worry, generally i found the rest of the ring very good choice.

gl what ever you do.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Don't go RAID. For the love of god. So many horror stories about them going awry and data getting toasted in the process.

I recommend a 32/64GB SSD for your primary hard drive. Booting with one of those is a godsend and the drive speed doesn't degrade if you keep it properly maintained. Then just use single extra drives for your games/apps and storage. RAID is slowly becoming a very outdated technology; especially since it doesn't add enough of a boost to justify it.

:o raid 0 is slowly? wth? outdated? if it was outdated none serious video editing companies would use it, and non server would support raid!

plz lets don't spread "stories" if we don't have a personal experience to share.

"loosing data?" the It probably who build it either he bought incompatible hardware, not quality, or most lickly he had no true idea how RAID Stripe works and how to configure it!

RAID kicks ass and will always be, they are even doing Raid with SSD did you know that?

raid is always faster if its properly configured, and those are not stories those are experience after 14 years of hardware support i have seen my self and test lots of stuff.

but i would agree than he can buy a small SSD for primary disk now and a that a sigle SSD speed compaired to the faster RAID 0 is huge BUT, i just dont like that he will have only 64GB for installing applications! wtf 64GB will be only the entire C&C series :P, and the solution of having just windows in the SSD and HDD for installing the games and applications separately has no point!

why? the SSD speed will drop down to much the maximum of the HDD because data transfer speeds must always me synchronized, so its pointless imho to pay 3-4 time more money than a Simple RAID 0 pair of HDDs and get what? only fast Windows Booting time and a tiny space for your application?

its too early for the SSD, he can upgrade to SSD after 1-2 years when their price get "normal" and there capacity is equal to todays Hard Disks.

still its his choice, and he can read serious articles about RAID 0 and then compare Price/Performance/Capacity.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

RAID was great back in the 80s when it was introduced because disk sizes were smaller and backups were harder to create. Now that we have large disk sizes, multiple backup formats and the Internet, RAID is slowly becoming a thing of the past and only best suited to archaic servers.

Sorry, but RAID is not ideal any more unless you use the heavy duty RAID setup. You suggested RAID 0, which is the absolute worst choice you can make. If one disk goes out, there goes everything you had. At least if my hard drive fails without RAID, I still have a chance to recover data. Even if you stripe it, you'll still lose quite a bit or the data will be unusable in some fashion. Not what I would call reliable.

Your comments about Solid State Disks are stupid at best. You don't buy an SSD to house all of your games and applications. That rest is relegated to additional, standard hard disk storage, which is bigger and cheaper. With an SSD as your primary, you keep your boot times to a minimum and your drive stays clean and nimble.

obviously you dont want to understand this so i am not gonna try too.

the guy needs performance and video editing, not a backup server nor video game console with usb stick for primary disk.

if you think because windows will load faster then the entire pc will go faster with the rest of normal hard disk when doing video and games from those, you are totally wrong and you are kiding your self.and it seems that what you are talking is at least "stories" and theories and you have 0 practise.

the senario to magicaly "loose data" its the same like any HDD driver will crash.

yea i said SSDs are fast are strong are even Better in RAID (which is not 80s btw) but they cost almost like the entire System now!

its still TOO early for SSD.-

start reading and then building and testing, then do some benchmarks work with RAID systems compare PRICE/PERFORMACE/STORAGE and then we can talk about it. untill then keep your head up but your nose lower. and by been rude doesn't make you right, so plz watch your "vocabulary" kid and keep words like "stupid" for your self next time.you will be a bad example if you "Administrate" this way!

to get back to the topic the ideal solution would be this but then he needs lots of $$$$$$$$$

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f138/ocz-core-v2-...awesome-256100/

thats all, lets everyone tell their opinion and exp and lets dont spend other peoples money based on "stories".

and keep it civilized.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

obviously you dont want to understand this so i am not gonna try too.

I understand RAID, its concepts and its practical uses. A home PC for whatever end is general not a practical application of RAID arrays.

the guy needs performance and video editing, not a backup server nor video game console with usb stick for primary disk.

Which is easy to achieve without a RAID array, or even an SSD really. It all depends on the RPM of the hard drive. RAID gives you increased bandwidth but it doesn't offer enough of a boost with just two hard drives; you would need multiple to make it worth your while. And with RAID 0 as you suggest, the loss of data multiplies with each drive stacked on. I'm not sure if you know what RAID 0 entails but it's striped data without parity - in layman's terms, no error checking. If one drive fails, the entire array goes to **** and you lose all of your data.

if you think because windows will load faster then the entire pc will go faster with the rest of normal hard disk when doing video and games from those, you are totally wrong and you are kiding your self.and it seems that what you are talking is at least "stories" and theories and you have 0 practise.

Listen, don't talk down to me like I'm some putz at Best Buy who doesn't know anything. I do this kind of thing for a living and I don't much care for some pissant to treat me like an idiot. I never said "everything would magically go faster." A hard disk drive is your system's permanent bottleneck, RAID or not.

the senario to magicaly "loose data" its the same like any HDD driver will crash.

This is where you're dead wrong. There are methods to retrieve data from a 'crashed' or failing drive. The data will still be entirely intact and I will be able to salvage much of it. But with a RAID array, you can't unless you have parity; even mirroring won't automatically save everything. My dad and I have salvaged data off of several failing drives using a simple trick.

yea i said SSDs are fast are strong are even Better in RAID (which is not 80s btw) but they cost almost like the entire System now!

RAID was patented in 1978 but didn't increase in popularity until the 1980s. How do I know this? I know people who actually worked in the field during that time but anyway. SSD, right now, isn't meant to comprise your entire system. I plan to use it as my boot drive since I particularly enjoy speedy boot times.

its still TOO early for SSD.-

Not really.

start reading and then building and testing, then do some benchmarks work with RAID systems compare PRICE/PERFORMACE/STORAGE and then we can talk about it.

I'm not creating a RAID system just to benchmark it. That is a huge waste of my time. I already know from years of experience that the hard disk drive is the slowest, most outdated piece of technology in any computer today. RAID does not change this basic fact - it only tries to make it less noticeable.

My biggest problem with RAID is that it's more error prone than a single drive, and using a RAID array on hard drives built for desktop use will burn them out faster since they're not made for that. If he wanted a proper RAID array, he would need an Enterprise-class fiber-channel or an SAS drive to handle the stress RAID throws at hard drives. Not only do you wear drives out but equipment compatibility becomes an issue as will numerous other things like write cache reliability and data loss. For something designed to prevent data loss, it sure seems a lot more prone to it than using a single drive with periodic backups to other drives.

and by been rude doesn't make you right, so plz watch your "vocabulary" kid and keep words like "stupid" for your self next time.you will be a bad example if you "Administrate" this way!

Being a condescending ass doesn't make you right either. Two way street, buddy.

thats all, lets everyone tell their opinion and exp and lets dont spend other peoples money based on "stories".

I am just giving my opinion. You're the one being all pissy and condescending because I disagree.

and keep it civilized.

Don't police the forum. It's not your job.

hmm having a SSD for your primary is a good idea I think, I hate my boot times! 1TB Samsung 7200 32mb cache, great drive but getting into vista x64 ultimate takes a couple of minutes :( I know that might not seem like a long wait time but its kind of annoying :P

Can't wait till SSD are bigger and cheaper :P

I'm waiting for the HIS Ice-Q 4890x2 (2x) :) if they ever make it

I don't really know much about servers tho :P just a bit about gaming PC's ^_^ wish I could help more OP!

(pant, pant, pant)

Peace!

i will be short this time i am not in the mood for arguments

well as you said its Two way street "buddy" so i dont really wanna to prove who's wrong and whos right, i am only saying raid with sata 2 fast rps HDDs driver should be seriously consider as a good fast solution (everything has its negatives) for this kind of work the user demands (like video editing etc)

about the loosing data factor there is also way to try and recover data even from raid 0, is it harder than a single damaged HDD? yeap it is. should we care about that?

not that much cause i suggested 2 drivers (maybe a lot smaller) for RAID that will hold the OS and his software application, not Personal Works finalized Video editing stuff etc, in other words if thinks go so terribly wrong (1st he should play a lotto),and then reformat and reinstall only the softwares, he doesn't have to worry about loosing his work, they will be in a single separate drive.

even with a single driver after crash even if you manage to get your data easier and maybe faster, still you are going for reformat, the Ghost and image solution from a bad sector disk to a new one isn't the best solution, just a fast one, you ma' always "curring" with you small or big problems even if you told the ghost to skip the errors, and your brand new drive will play for sure, but not run as it could if it was format-cleaned. i would say perform like 8/10.

for the "time traveling" part, well and CPUs was first build back in 1940-1945 but since then damn thinks have changed dramatically, but still we are using CPUs! ^_^

finally about "policing" the forums Just LOL.

well if you said so that this was "police" and its not my job, well apparently someone doesn't try hard to do it right, and i had to keep things as calm as possible.

i would not police the forums but i would police anyone who is insulting me without been given any reason. i never use blasphemy as a weapon of defense. if my last post was a little insulting that was a re-action to yours, but still i wish to say first that i didn't enjoy it and i don't wish to be continued like that.

you should help @Malevolence by making him a system offer like i spend hours to do, if you wish not start arguments ;-)

thank you.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

There really is no point for RAID on a home computer unless you're just dying to take off a few seconds off load times. Wooooo. It's just making the setup more difficult, more headaches down the road, and in the end, there was no point to it really. And honestly, one 1TB hard drive is enough. Getting two is just burning more money that could go for better components or just saving some extra money.

I agree with BO, you probably won't need anything as fancy as RAID. And one terabyte is a heck of a lot of storage. Unless you plan on downloading a lot of HD video (hehe), you probably don't need anything larger than that.

Oh and Johnnyxp64, that picture of the case you posted looks pretty awesome. ^_^

Oh and Johnnyxp64, that picture of the case you posted looks pretty awesome. ^_^

yeah i know thats why i bought it after searching for Mals Pc :lol:

i am not planing for water cooling, but damn this case has great quality and because i had previous issues with my case and static electricity this one is very good at it.

personally i love storage and fast disks that why i have raid, and now i am planning to buy a 1TB WD because as you said i have Lots of HD movies B) maybe i will get 2...this new case has so much space in it!

well as you said its Two way street "buddy" so i dont really wanna to prove who's wrong and whos right, i am only saying raid with sata 2 fast rps HDDs driver should be seriously consider as a good fast solution (everything has its negatives) for this kind of work the user demands (like video editing etc)

All the RAID in the world will never change one thing - hard disk drives are outdated and slow. Chitz' post literally screams that last part.

about the loosing data factor there is also way to try and recover data even from raid 0, is it harder than a single damaged HDD? yeap it is. should we care about that?

Yes, actually, we should care about that. You're trying to extol the virtues of RAID when it seems quite obvious you know what a load of **** it is for Consumer-level application. I won't deny that RAID is excellent for ENTERPRISE and BUSINESS level use but for a consumer, it becomes less so very quickly.

not that much cause i suggested 2 drivers (maybe a lot smaller) for RAID that will hold the OS and his software application, not Personal Works finalized Video editing stuff etc, in other words if thinks go so terribly wrong (1st he should play a lotto),and then reformat and reinstall only the softwares, he doesn't have to worry about loosing his work, they will be in a single separate drive.

Fine but that doesn't take into account that RAID, for consumers, is useless. The minimal boost you would gain is not enough to justify buying an extra drive just to set up an array. Waste of time and resources.

even with a single driver after crash even if you manage to get your data easier and maybe faster, still you are going for reformat, the Ghost and image solution from a bad sector disk to a new one isn't the best solution, just a fast one, you ma' always "curring" with you small or big problems even if you told the ghost to skip the errors, and your brand new drive will play for sure, but not run as it could if it was format-cleaned. i would say perform like 8/10.

I'm good with a reformat or new install of Windows.

for the "time traveling" part, well and CPUs was first build back in 1940-1945 but since then damn thinks have changed dramatically, but still we are using CPUs! ^_^

Yeah, you can say ENIAC had the first CPU. However, the CPU of generations past are not even the same as the ones we have today. Nothing about today's CPU paired against the early ones are even remotely similar. The long and the short of it is simple - CPUs progress quickly while HDDs have not. At least make a valid comparison next time.

well if you said so that this was "police" and its not my job, well apparently someone doesn't try hard to do it right, and i had to keep things as calm as possible.

No one was getting out of hand; no one was starting a flame war. Stop policing the damn forum before I kick you out the door.

you should help @Malevolence by making him a system offer like i spend hours to do, if you wish not start arguments ;-)

I could, but it would be about the same as the one I drafted for myself.

"Stop policing the damn forum before I kick you out the door."

??whats wrong with you? you should know when to stop!

don't say that i didn't try i did, but your attitude as administrator is just pathetic, and after reading lots of your posts it seems you are doing this very often.

you can do as virtual kicks as you like (i am so scared! :omg: ) cause you are not capable of doing anything else. so hide behind your monitor and play the bad cop.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

duh i spent lots of time with a kid in mind and in age....enough :puke:

get a life junior! :haha:

Edited by Johnnyxp64

personally i love storage and fast disks that why i have raid, and now i am planning to buy a 1TB WD because as you said i have Lots of HD movies B) maybe i will get 2...this new case has so much space in it!

Fast disks? RAID0 doesn't provide THAT better of performance to justify using two 1TB drives as just that, two separate drives.

And I have that exact 1TB hard drive, I love it. But I still have barely filled it even though I have over 40+ 1080p blu-ray rips, 30+ 720p rips, and other assorted music, videos, and data. I do MAJOR pirating and I'm still only 60% there. 2TB for someone that might like the occasional HD movie but doesn't archive their downloads (like I do) is a bit overboard.

??whats wrong with you? you should know when to stop!

DD can get a little hot under the collar, but you should take your own advice and stop poking him. You will get a reaction out of it...

i too storage lots of movies and mp3s and digital photos straight out off the camera, also i am playing and learing arround 3d studio max and i hav tons of textures and models, huge databases for my coroporation project that i am writing in visual studio, yeah 1 TB should do for now...

but if we add and all the tv serious and anime that i loved through the years, my drivers collection, my software collection, even games riped to disk.....hmmm i may go for a second one too, i hate loading stuff from dvdrom its so boring :P

about the 2xtb together i was misuaderstood there, i have only 80+80 as raid 0 and an other seperate 500gb disk for my data. that one i whant to replace with the TB.

major pirate eh? :haha:

ssss keep it down you may get "arrested"

Edited by Johnnyxp64

I'll not go for SSDs at this moment as its way too expensive. Sticking to standard HDDs for now.

I'm waiting for the HIS Ice-Q 4890x2 (2x) :) if they ever make it

There won't be any ATI HD4890X2 series, ATI decides to spend more time investing on the upcoming HD58XX series of GPUs. And as for me I'll stick to an Nvidia card, its just a personal preference.

I'll look through and respond to the rest of the comments later on the day, kinda busy right now.

Edited by Malevolence

hope you have something great in mind for nvidia, cause in HD playback ATI is slightly better, but to be honnest they do some stupid things sometimes with the driver,

i remember for example the 8.12 was a super driver for XP x64 and next month in the 9.1 the just killed the HD decoding and almost all windows xp system couldn't decode HD! that was a major BS untill this June!

in Vista they didnt screw up thougt. its shame cause their hardware is extreamly fast and silent most of the times, great temperetures, and memmory managment is greater than current nvidias but those can only been seen in a very details bechmark result.

on the other hand nvidia may be 98% good in HD decoding and not ATI 100% but nvidia drivers are almost always stable and great. you are not afraid to upgrade because something will not broke up.

i am so happy with my 4850 toxic which run like a 4870 but i am "afraid" to upgrade the vga drivers just when they are released i am waiting for few weeks people to try them out :) but like my current os and officia w7 driver, when Ati drivers are working, damn they are kicking ass :)

always its up to you.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Ok, first of all, thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and concerns in various areas, particularly RAID issues. Its a pretty interesting topic and to some point I notice some crazy argument there. Chill fellas, chill. Maybe the cake* is working...

For OS I'm definitely touching Windows 7 Ultimate 7600 64bit RTM for sure. It's FOC, and more importantly, performs better than Vista and less resource hogging.

As for hard disks, I'm not going to go for SSDs at the moment. Its due to budget concerns and as such I'll stick to the normal HDDs. I'm looking for the cheaper Western Digital Caviar Black or the slightly costly Western Digital Velociraptors. I'll definitely will purchase more than 1 HDD, as the other will be used as storage and stuff. Whatever the storage is is not of your concern because it'll probably be some free useful softwares and a collection of HD stuff.

Ok as for the topic of RAID, it's alright to RAID, and definitely its not obsolete. I am aware some enthusiastic friends using some SSDs to RAID 0. The performance was phenomenal! Anyways if someone does RAID, particularly RAID 0, he or she has to bear in mind the possibility of seeing hard disk failures, and for that he or she should not be alarmed if such things should happen.

And definitely if I am planning on RAID I will not use big HDDs like 2X 1TB, its pretty overkill, isn't it. 2TB for OS and programs, WTH?!? 1TB HDD would be an excellent choice for a storage storage drive however, particularly holding HD art videos and stuff, for example.

As for the discrete GPUs, since Windows 7 will have DirectX11 support and all current GPUs have either DirectX10 or 10.1 only, I'll go for a simple bang-for-buck card now and will update with newer GPU (GTX 300s? with probably SLI for benchmarking fun?). I'll have to choose something of a non-reference design as well for better temeperature, and good overclockability. I'll go for Nvidia brand, as its my personal preference, better stability, better drivers, and it has PhysX, and most importantly if I were to phase this one out this could be excellent to be recycled as an excellent PhysX card.

Processor and stuff: funny why hasn't anyone suggesting of Intel Core i7 with this budget?

Edited by Malevolence

personaly i dont like the way intel works now with the new icore 7 or 9 in the future so many socket changes that causes only confusion to customers and technologies that are not sure if will stick arround for years.

besides all its too damn expensive the overall system in the end in order to get some extra performance out of those i7.

for me the quad core line is the best money/poewr and can bee over clocked and they are arround for some years now and we see that they work prety well, it feels more stable to me, and there is no need now that windows 7 is so better than vista to go for that extra power in i7.

i have tested few i7 models, i didnt got WOW, and thats the main reason. there is nothing dramatic and super innovating in them in real life applications/performance, and the all socket changes idea and forcing ddr3 mobos (that are still expensive) makes me hate them even more!

i remember when i i baught my first AMD FX60 with 4gbram, and installe xp x64, now that was WOW! still i have a feeling that AMD x64 works slightly faster with windows x64 cause they used the AMDs to build the platform and then the Intel was running behind to intruduce their EM64 technology.

now in w7 that EM64 was arround, there are some pretty nice imporovemnt on how the system responce in x64, but yet AMD64 was the base platform for Microsoft and i hate to admit that after testing an AMD Phenom x4 3.0ghz black edition, i was totally gone totaly WOW! :P

and they are so chiep compaired to intels.

take a look at those:

s2tcba.jpg

2d6qhjt.jpg

wqwp6r.jpg

r04978.jpg

2h4ki1u.jpg

35mirmv.jpg

differences are Not that WOW and cant be noticed most of the time, besides the encoding, but think about it, pay so much money more for 2-3 minutes faster decoding? is it worth? do you make money out of it that will pay you back?

questions like that will determine what to buy in the end.

i would buy the card i told or any similar, and i would keep the extra money for later upgrade to dx11 card next summer) if i where you.

bye

Edited by Johnnyxp64