Sonic

CNCNZ.com Presents: Louis Castle CommandCom Presentation - History of C&C

Here is a real special treat for all C&C fans. This is only presentation from CommandCom that we are allowed to show you. Relive the history of the Command & Conquer franchise with one the original creators, Louis Castle. All of the games beginning with the classic Command & Conquer, the Red Alert series and Generals are all covered. Louis even recalls funny and interesting facts from the years at Westwood and more. The video is in 3 parts, you can watch part 1 below. If its not already selected, choose 480p from the video controls for best playback.

For part 2 and part 3 you can watch them on the CNCNZ.com YouTube Channel or in this thread in our Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight forum. Don't miss these special videos!

Hey Sonic - I think you can embed links to the next video in the series by annotations or something???

(just about to look for #2... great stuff here!)

EDIT: Hmm seems like you missed something in the cut from 2 to the 3???

But this is a fantastic bit of 'history' here.

Edited by gben

Hey Sonic - I think you can embed links to the next video in the series by annotations or something???

I know. The annotations things wasn't working for some reason at the time I uploaded the videos. It kept say an error has occurred try again later.... so I'll do that.

EDIT: Hmm seems like you missed something in the cut from 2 to the 3???

Yeah its a bit odd, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything. If I did its not important. Everything is still covered.

I think its really cool that Louis Castle was there in the first place. Considering he not an EA employee any more. Even though he is no longer involved in the franchise it will always be special to him.

Update: Little annotation buttons have now been added to link the videos together.

i think EA was fool to let him go from the RTS team. He could offer so much more depth to the cnc fransize.

In his final couple of years at EA Louis wasn't really working with EALA RTS teams anyway. An EA didn't let him go or fire him, he left to take up a position with another company, a descison he made himself.

He's at a startup company now - still with some ties to EA I think (they might be part shareholder), I didn't really ask about this. He's basically working on the "next-generation Steam" where you don't need to download the game before you start playing, the entire game downloads itself in the background. C&C3 for example would only need to download 200-300MB before you could start playing.

He's at a startup company now - still with some ties to EA I think (they might be part shareholder), I didn't really ask about this. He's basically working on the "next-generation Steam" where you don't need to download the game before you start playing, the entire game downloads itself in the background. C&C3 for example would only need to download 200-300MB before you could start playing.

wow thats prototype!....smart but original for games! ....i wonder how many level and video you can have in just 200-300mb to start thought....maybe 3-5 levels and the entire UI game shell.... hmmmm :unsure: no matter what a game that can be downloaded in parts and be played like that, will be more easier to crack for sure :P lol

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Wow, that's some interesting innovative project he's getting himself involved!

Some games do that currently except that instead of downloading from the web it does it from disc. You can install only the minimum things to get the game running and jump in, then it installs the rest from the disc in the background. I think Halo 2 for PC does this.

-edit- Also the last time I checked there were at least 50 of those RA2 boxes floating around on eBay that had escaped destruction.

Edited by Mighty BOB!

Guest Stevie_K
Good vid, nice nostalgic trip. :)

Yeah. I miss the late 90's.

Just bringing this older news thread back to let you know that our Louis Castle CommandCom Presentation - History of C&C videos are back online on the new CNCNZ.com YouTube Channel.

There are many ways to watch them, use the original news post at the start of this thread. Or use any of the links below.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/CNCNZ365#p/c/37CABB...C/0/1G8t366N9L8

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/CNCNZ365#p/c/37CABB...C/1/gGAa2jNaW8U

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/CNCNZ365#p/c/37CABB...C/2/3-aIF4FQgck

CommandCom Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/CNCNZ365#grid/user/37CABB3C21F578BC