Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Format/Backup Plans

So in the next few months I plan to do reformat and reinstall a couple of personal computers.

Does anyone have a tried and true check-list to make sure you remembered to backup everything.

I remember in the 90's it was pretty important to download the latest patches, programs etc onto removable media for after the fresh install. But I guess the faster internet makes it less critical.

I would like to build a check list if no one has one... so does anyone want to get me started.

I go through Add/Remove Programs and see what I have. I physically write it down, or make a checklist in Excel, and then run through that when Windows is freshly installed and updated. No real big methods, just make checklists.

Yeah, I go through the add/remove programs and list down all I have. Then I go through and make sure I have all the serials for all the programs that are... Then I backup my outlook profile, and grab a copy of my Firefox bookmarks.

If you are truly worried you'll forget something, you can clone your hard drive and stick it on a portable (depending on the size of your drive).

http://www.xxclone.com/index.htm

Is a very useful utility.

-Have you saved your Favorites on ext hard disk yet?

-Have you saved your Documents and saved files on ext hard disk yet?

-Do you still have the installers, drivers of all the programs and hardware yet?

If yes to all of the above, REFORMAT!

- I always check things like My Documents and Application Data for stray files.

- Windows and System32 for custom drivers, fonts etc

- Registry settings for games, i export them and keep them.

One thing that always saves hassle is to get portable versions of applications, or keep the installers (most applications have auto update if a new build is out so that's handy.)

Also helps that all my C&C games are portable too, joys of being a hacker :P

Edited by CCHyper

Cloning defeats the purpose of a fresh minty install!

I've had troubles backing up emails and address books in the past.

And I always seem to forget bookmarks...

I'll keep working on my checklist, won't be for a while.

I dont reformat for a clean feeling, i reformat every 6 months becuase, i just... like to xD

So I found this checklist for re-formatting:-

http://www.daffi.org/reformatting.htm

I'm working on a hardcopy checklist for my own devices, but I wanted to see if anyone can spot any obvious mistakes in the following:-

STEP #1 - PREPERATION

List your Hardware first, Note your brand and model number and current driver details version and/or date.

• BD/DVD/CD-ROM
  • Gaming Peripherals (joystick etc)
  • Monitor/Display
  • Motherboard
  • Wireless Keyboard
  • Wireless Mouse
  • Input Devises (Drawing Tablet etc)
  • Network Card
  • Sound Card
  • Video Card
  • Webcam / VOIP hardware
  • Modem / Router
  • Printer
  • Scanner
STEP #2 - BACKUP PROGRAMS

Favourite Downloadable Programs to backup to removable media/storage

• compression program
  • internet search engine
  • add-ons (Email, Search Engine, MS Office etc)
  • firewall
  • antivirus
  • antispam
  • misc security programs
STEP #3a - BACKUP USER CREATED DATA - LAZY VERSION

• Copy "My Documents" folder entirely
  • Test your backups, on a separate computer if possible.
STEP #3b - BACKUP USER CREATED DATA - PARANOID VERSION

Manually check "My Documents" for file-types to backup, including but not limited too:-

• .doc or .docx files (Word)
  • .xls or .xlsc files (Excel)
  • .ppt or .pptx files (Power point)
  • .pdf (PDF / Adobe Acrobat)
  • .txt files (Text / Notepad files)
  • .crd files (if you use the cardfile program you need to backup any .crd files)
  • .MYO (MYOB)
  • other
Outlook / Other Email Program

• Contacts / Address Book
  • Calender
  • Tasks
  • Emails
  • Add-ons
Website Hosting

• Source files for creating, hosting website
Music

• .wav .mp3 other (Custom sfx, cd rips, music downloads)
  • Download licence Backup licenses from itunes/ windows media player etc
  • skins
Pictures

• .jpg .gif .tif .bmp .psd .png .raw other
Gaming

• SP Game Saves / Profiles
  • Skins
Internet Search Engine

• Bookmarks
  • Add-ons
  • Toolbars
  • Forum passwords and user-names
Internet Chat Program

• MSN, Yahoo, Google Chat, Skype, ICQ etc (All info stored online ???)
Test your backups, on a separate computer if possible!

then Manually re-check:-

• My Documents
  • temp directory
  • Desktop
  • search hard disk for the file types

STEP #4 - CUSTOM CONFIGURATIONS

Things to note down on hardcopy, or save a screenshot of.

Email

• Web Provider
  • Email address
  • Username & passwords (confirm through webmail!)
  • POP & SMTP address & SMTP requires authentication (Y/N)
  • Incoming and outgoing ports
  • Login configuration (contact numbers, ip addresses)
  • Customer Help Contact Numbers and opening hours
Network

• IP address
  • Adv settings, DNS
License/Registration/Installation Codes

• Browse through programs listed in Start Menu
  • Verify that you have all license keys or registration codes for any software you have installed or downloaded.
  • Installation and Registration codes can be mined from your registry if you can't find your hardcopy

NOOB Hint! - Print Directory and use as a Checklist!

• If you know how, print out a directory of your main drive so that you can manually verify you have all the installation discs/downloads/programs and their respective license/registration/installation codes.
  • Here is one version of the program…

STEP #5 - RE-INSTALL ORDER CHECKLIST

1. Complete Steps 1-4
  2. Format Disk
  3. Install Windows
  4. Install BD/DVD/CD-ROM drivers
  5. video card drivers
  6. monitor drivers
  7. sound card drivers
  8. Network Card
  9. Firewall Program
  10. Internet Search Engine
  11. Windows Updates
  12. Security Programs
  13. Peripheral Drivers
  14. Internet Tools (WinZip etc)
  15. Office Suites (MS Office etc)
  16. Other Programs (Photoshop etc)
  17. Other Applications (Google desktop etc)
  18. Media players
  19. Internet chat programs
  20. Documents
  21. Media (Music & Videos)
  22. Games
  23. Game Saves / Profiles

I actually found it troublesome to find a similar list, so although this beneath you all, can you check this list for other noobs like me. I like to keep the final version around for other noobs who are searching for a checklist.

• I wasn't sure about internet chat programs, specifically what you are required to backup. The few that I use, store everything online... is that the same for everything?
  • I don't create webpages, so again I don't know if there is specific information that is relevant to include.
  • Are there any other major things to include in a backup guide for the average-advanced consumer?
What about the re-installation process? I had never thought about it until I checked his site...
  • Do you have any preferences to installation order?
  • In my opinion, if you have backed your data up correctly, then accessing the internet after a re-format is the number one priority because everything else can be downloaded from that point on.
  • But once your online, your vulnerable to bad things, so security is next. The guy who wrote the guide but security last due to constant rebooting.

In Step 1, this should include checking the manufacturer websites to see if there are any newer driver versions than you currently have installed. Get all your driver installers in one nice place (or two if it is a combination of your install CDs and newer executables from the manufacturer in a folder). And same thing goes to security apps like Spybot. Get the most recent installer from their website.

Step 2, a lot of programs cannot be "backed up" because they install stuff in various folders on the disk and in the registry and won't work if their main folder is just copied and pasted. So they need to be reinstalled and re set up (which is where steps 3 and 4 come in; data/config info).

Step 3 or 4, don't forget any custom junk in the Program Files folder or in the username/Application Data folder you might have like Photoshop brushes or gradients, or IRC logs, or bookmarks, or whatever.

Step 5, you forgot the motherboard drivers.

After drivers, installing your security apps should be second, followed by your Internet apps and windows update. You have to connect your computer to the Internet to do windows update, so security is second after getting your hardware and OS running. You want to do as much as you can before connecting to the net since the net is full of computer STDs, which means preparing as much as you can before formatting, like getting all your installers and stuff ready on your external storage so you don't have to download them after the formatting.

Good points. I'll agree we should check websites for latest drivers etc first, and that security programs could be installed before attempting internet.

I usually only navigate to certain sites, typing in from memory, before security is installed and up-to-date. But better to be safe than sorry.

RE: Step#2

I'm thinking in terms of backing up the "installation program" of "downloadable programs"... like "RenX 0.50" for instance, not a clone of the directory.

I'll make that clearer.

This should solve your patching questions: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

How many hard drives do you have? In my primary computer I have 2, one is for the OS and the other stores my data. Make sure your documents, music, and pictures are backed up. Make note of the programs that you use the most, ditch the rest. Make sure you have all your SN's for applications and games. Also make sure you backup any save games.