Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

The noise is deafening!

So sometime this morning my video card decided enough was enough, and decided to die.

Some investigation revealed that the card itself seems fine. But the onboard fan wasn't working. I looked at the card and couldn't see any capacitors or anything blown, so I yanked out the power cord that runs from the fan to the card, and attached it to a power lead. And the fan came back to life...

So I'm thinking, it might be a hardware problem? Since I haven't touched the drivers or anything like that, I even took the time to reinstall them and such, but no result... :(

So now I have a working video card, and a fan that is so bloody loud its almost unbearable... As coincidence would have it, I ordered some new fans on Monday along with a fan controller. So hopefully I'll be able to use that to turn down the bloody thing to a more tolerable level...

I'll probably send it back to get RMA'd. But I don't really want to, as my last experience it took nearly a month for results, and I have better things to do...

In the mean time, I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING!!! ^_^

Get speedfan, and turn them down, use noise cancelling headphones and don't do anything intense until you fix it. that's the best i can think of.

I guess I typed too fast, what I meant was to RMA the item, and while waiting for the card, get a new one.

Heh, I had a similar experience about a month ago. My roommate's vidcard fan stopped working. I popped open his case and it was choked with dust. So I gave it a small blast of compressed air and... the fan FELL OFF. So now we have the side of the case off and a floor fan pointed at the vidcard's heatsink. I suppose it might still be under warranty with Gateway or Best Buy maybe, but I'm sure he threw away all the paperwork that came with it. We're just going to get him a new one if he ever saves up. The floor fan is the only thing keeping it alive right now, but the EM interference the fan is giving off makes me cringe at the thought.

I suppose it might still be under warranty with Gateway or Best Buy maybe, but I'm sure he threw away all the paperwork that came with it.

Don't most places have your past purchases saved on their computers now? I know I was able to get a replacement graphics card after I was sold a bad one without any paper work.